C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

Well done Tiphareth! I had similar problems with my app so I ended up downloading a podcast instead. It worked perfectly. I believe there's an NHS one but I used the one at www.runningintoshape.com

No problems with the app - the phone needs to dry out after it's diving contest into the toilet. May try the pod cast as there is at least an mp3 player on the phone.

Heya wondered if I could get some advice from you pros, I started c25k before but find that as soon as I'm jogging my chest feel like its going to explode, my legs never ache its just my lungs, I don't get it as I've lost 2 stone since last time I tried it and I do kettleworx and play squash occasionally. I wondered whether it could b the cold air? Thanks x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi guys
I am hoping to sart this tomorrow. I'm quite nervous about it as my fitness is terrible as is my motivation! It's great to have a thread to report progress back to as I really want to do this!
Congratulations on everybodies achievements it is very inspiring!!

Donzy84 said:
Heya wondered if I could get some advice from you pros, I started c25k before but find that as soon as I'm jogging my chest feel like its going to explode, my legs never ache its just my lungs, I don't get it as I've lost 2 stone since last time I tried it and I do kettleworx and play squash occasionally. I wondered whether it could b the cold air? Thanks x

Hi Donzy. I had a slightly different but related problem when I started as I found it very difficult to breath. I did some research & found out that 'belly breathing' is recommended. So instead of breathing into your lungs you should breath into your tummy (your tummy should expand as you breath in). This is a way of you breathing more deeply. Some places said to breath in with you mouth open while others said it should be closed. I breath with my mouth open & it works for me.

Maybe give that technique a try & see if it has any impact. It absolutely worked for me. Not sure if I'd have managed to get to 5k without belly breathing!!

nayomee123 said:
Hi guys
I am hoping to sart this tomorrow. I'm quite nervous about it as my fitness is terrible as is my motivation! It's great to have a thread to report progress back to as I really want to do this!
Congratulations on everybodies achievements it is very inspiring!!

Welcome Nayomee! My fitness was absolutely awful when I started but got through it so dont worry about that. If your motivation is poor, maybe consider signing yourself up for a 5k run in about 9 or 10 weeks time - maybe with a friend if possible. That should keep you focused as you'll know that you have to do that run anyway. That's what I did & I think I may have quit otherwise!!

Best of luck with it & sure we're here to cheer you on anyway! x

slimming sinead said:
Hi Donzy. I had a slightly different but related problem when I started as I found it very difficult to breath. I did some research & found out that 'belly breathing' is recommended. So instead of breathing into your lungs you should breath into your tummy (your tummy should expand as you breath in). This is a way of you breathing more deeply. Some places said to breath in with you mouth open while others said it should be closed. I breath with my mouth open & it works for me.

Maybe give that technique a try & see if it has any impact. It absolutely worked for me. Not sure if I'd have managed to get to 5k without belly breathing!!

Thanks so much will look into as I do suck my tummy in when running x

Right, Week 1 Day 1 starts tomorrow. Was going to begin tonight but we were due to sign contracts for our house purchase today only to be told this morning that the seller had pulled out :-( so really didn't feel in the mood today! Will hopefully help me to release my stress tomorrow!!

Right, Week 1 Day 1 starts tomorrow. Was going to begin tonight but we were due to sign contracts for our house purchase today only to be told this morning that the seller had pulled out :-( so really didn't feel in the mood today! Will hopefully help me to release my stress tomorrow!!

Good luck! You'll find that it's a great stress buster! I never ever thought I'd ever join the Lycra brigade but I run, first thing in the morning, 3 times a week now and it really clears my head and sets me up for the day.

Dx

Im starting the c25k next week, I was going to start this week but Ive got a bad head cold and needed to take oral steroids for my asthma. So hopefully next week ill be right as rain. Ill be training mostly on a treadmill at home because I have 3 boys under 4, but I do hope to run outside at least once a week (might be too self concious just yet though). Im aiming to do a 10k run in october - that is my goal, when I achieve it I know I will feel on top of the world!!

Good luck Annie!

Good luck shrinkingannie and nayomee123.

I'm just starting week 2 although my phone is determined I'm not going to doing properly, but I was out for 45 minutes and did 3 miles my run/walk cycles were a little off.

Hi , I started this today

Ive got myself a manual treadmill

I only managed to complete 12 minutes of the first day , i was dizzy felt like vomitting and my heart rate was through the roof
please tell me this is normal ?

I havnt done any excercise for over 10 years , and it doesnt help that being a manual treadmill it is permanantly on an incline so Im running uphill

Im not defeated , but its obviouslt going to take a hell of a lot longer than 9 weeks , I think ill be stuck on week one for a month
:D

i love C25K, i tried it before and got to week 6, but then went on holiday and never went back to it.

today i am doing w1 d1. on a treadmill in my dingey cellar.

my hubby is away for a week skiing, so i think now is a good a time as any

tracy

I only managed to complete 12 minutes of the first day
:D

just walk and get used to the treadmill for now, walking for 12 minutes is better than sitting on the couch for an hour.

maybe try walking, then going up and down a step for 20 counts, every bit helps

tracy

Thankyou Tracey , I think Im going to have to do just that
Just walking on the incline is killing me
I suppose if I manage to get through this on my treadmill then running outside on flat ground will be a breeze

That sounds difficult Pheonix. I doubt I'd be able for a constant incline but good idea to start off just walking first & then building it up.

I do find that if I exercise first thing in the morning, I get v dizzy & feel like fainting. I try to only exercise in the afternoon / evenings now.

Best of luck with it. x

Thanks . it is definitely harder , but dont have the space or money for a powered machine , but this is just until Im confident enough to run outside
Ill try a different time of day tomoro :)

Hi C25Kers I am finally back! Was on week 7 when we went on holiday but have slipped back since then...

Had a great 2 week holiday and did go out for some runs but it was so much warmer there that I struggled. Did 2 a week but had to stop and walk so probably about week 6 level. Then the day after I came back I got a horrible bug and have been feeling very groggy and short of breath for last 2 weeks. So the wheels came off my C25K plan :(

Finally felt better yesterday and went back out for a run. I put myself back in at wk5 d2 as I wanted to get my confidence back, felt very comfortable with that so going to do wk 5 d3 which is the 20 min non-stop tomorrow. If that goes ok, I need to decide whether to carry on as per the plan or to skip wk 6 d1 and d2 and do week 6 d3 so that I am back into the non-stop running.

My issue is that I think that psychologically it would be better to do the second option as before holiday I was struggling with the concept of non-stop runs and it might help me get used to those quicker.

What to do? Any suggestions?

Pippa x

i would just carry on with the the plan from where you are now. which will build you back up again confidence wise.

i have gone back to week 1 as i have been away from it for too long

good luck

tracy

Back