C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

I've just completed my first session on week 2 found it a lot easier than week 1 maybe as I changed the time instead of first thing in the morning on empty stomach I ran 2 hours aftery last meal on evening

Lots2lose36 said:
I've just completed my first session on week 2 found it a lot easier than week 1 maybe as I changed the time instead of first thing in the morning on empty stomach I ran 2 hours aftery last meal on evening

I find it easier when I run in an evening.

Congrats on continuing. I'm due to do session 3 of run 5 after work tomorrow. Eeek.

Evenings can often be easier as your muscles are all warmed up and stretched from moving around during the day.

Well done to all you ladies, you are making great progress. It is interesting reading all your comments as I had exactly the same thoughts and doubts when I was where you guys are. I think for me it was because I had mentally labelled myself as "not a riunner" and psychologically I needed the little successes every week from the C25K to gradually start to believe that I could do it. I also had a big battle with myself when I got up to the weeks where there are no walking breaks. I felt so cheated - I deserved my walking breaks!!!!! I had to repeat some of the earlier runs to get my confidence up.

I'm now just about to finish the programme and I can't believe what I have achieved. Little old me can actually run for half an hour without needing to stop. I finally have found the willpower to make myself go out and exercise regularly. My body shape is changing and firming. I'm starting to like my body a bit. I'm starting to care a bit more about what I put into it - less rubbish, more good quality fuel. All little steps but I really feel like I am gradually improving my relationship with my body and with food somehow through doing this.

Sorry for waffling on, but I think reading all your posts and being on my last week on the programme is really making me see how far I have come in the last few weeks. I guess what I am trying to say is... believe in this - it works!

I find my cal burn depends on which week I'm doing - I burnt between 280-300 the first two weeks but weeks three is shorter and less running so I burn about 200 :( which is a shame but I imagine week 4 will be an amazing amount of cals with all that running -

Which week are you on?!

I have found my weightloss plateaus at time which is really disheartening - I've had times where ive felt like giving up - but I've now learnt to have faith in it and I now monitor other achievements other than weight ie inches clothes size exercise etc! I've found that's been a positive for me - don't get me wrong I still get her up on numbers but have had to learn that it will catch up! Eventually lol!

I didn't gain the weight over night suppose I can't expect to loose it that quick - although it would be nice haha! X

I'm currently burning about 240-280 per run but that's with adding another run on so 7 runs instead of 6 ! My treadmill also doesnt take into account weight so not sure how accurate the calorie count is!

Currently on week 2 - I should be on week 3 but finding the step to 3 minutes a pretty scary one so going to week 2 for another few days and try week 3 next week! Not sure how I feel about the smaller calorie count - I guess just add in a gradient for the walking so you burn more? I've started doing my cool down on a high gradient just to up the calorie intake a bit! Or add on another bit of a run maybe.

Starting to really enjoy it now - love the feeling you get when it's done (not so much the feeling just before and during though!)

I'm the same btw - want to lose it all in 10 minutes despite the fact it's taken me 10 years to get to this point!

Evenings can often be easier as your muscles are all warmed up and stretched from moving around during the day.

Well done to all you ladies, you are making great progress. It is interesting reading all your comments as I had exactly the same thoughts and doubts when I was where you guys are. I think for me it was because I had mentally labelled myself as "not a riunner" and psychologically I needed the little successes every week from the C25K to gradually start to believe that I could do it. I also had a big battle with myself when I got up to the weeks where there are no walking breaks. I felt so cheated - I deserved my walking breaks!!!!! I had to repeat some of the earlier runs to get my confidence up.

I'm now just about to finish the programme and I can't believe what I have achieved. Little old me can actually run for half an hour without needing to stop. I finally have found the willpower to make myself go out and exercise regularly. My body shape is changing and firming. I'm starting to like my body a bit. I'm starting to care a bit more about what I put into it - less rubbish, more good quality fuel. All little steps but I really feel like I am gradually improving my relationship with my body and with food somehow through doing this.

Sorry for waffling on, but I think reading all your posts and being on my last week on the programme is really making me see how far I have come in the last few weeks. I guess what I am trying to say is... believe in this - it works!

Thanks so much for this - it's really encouraging to know it works and that you are continuing on with it!

Personally I prefer the morning - If I run in the evening, I spend the day trying to think of excuses not to do it and find it difficult to run with all that water sloshing about inside me!

It fantastic to hear from someone who's near completing as it shows what can be done, and that you can overcome the doubts you have about yourself. You've given me such a boost and feel I can complete this and become a runner.

Hello everyone! I've just started C25K. Problem is, I live in a town that is surrounded by hills. Each run I've done, I've gone a different route, but every time, I hit a hill on the 3rd or 4th run. I don't want this to sound like an excuse because I want to complete this, I have no problems with stamina or tiredness, but when I'm jogging uphill I get pain in my ankles, shins, and calf cramps. I've always had pain in my calves while exercising, but I don't want this to hold me back. The nearby school doesn't even have a track to use.

I don't feel at all ready for W2D1. I don't feel like I'm succeeding at all to be honest! And I really don't want to resort to the treadmill because I'd much rather be out in the fresh air and scenery. I'm not sure if I should repeat W1.

I've signed up to race for life in July and I'd love to be able to jog the whole way, even if I'm not running. Any tips are really appreciated.

Hider28 said:
I'm currently burning about 240-280 per run but that's with adding another run on so 7 runs instead of 6 ! My treadmill also doesnt take into account weight so not sure how accurate the calorie count is!

Currently on week 2 - I should be on week 3 but finding the step to 3 minutes a pretty scary one so going to week 2 for another few days and try week 3 next week! Not sure how I feel about the smaller calorie count - I guess just add in a gradient for the walking so you burn more? I've started doing my cool down on a high gradient just to up the calorie intake a bit! Or add on another bit of a run maybe.

Starting to really enjoy it now - love the feeling you get when it's done (not so much the feeling just before and during though!)

I'm the same btw - want to lose it all in 10 minutes despite the fact it's taken me 10 years to get to this point!

Oh yeah I do my normal cool down then power walk on a higher gradient to increase the cal burn! We're all get there!

And I know if there was a miracle cure I'd have been first in queue but I guess impatience isn't gonna help me ATM! X

I have finally taken the step to move from week one to week two. I did my first 2nd week session on the treadmill.......the treadmill is very different to running on the road, i have done all of my other sessions on the road.

I found the session onthe treadmill much easier than doing it one the road - anyone else find it mucheasier on the treadmill?

I found week 2 easier than week 1

Hello everyone! I've just started C25K. Problem is, I live in a town that is surrounded by hills. Each run I've done, I've gone a different route, but every time, I hit a hill on the 3rd or 4th run. I don't want this to sound like an excuse because I want to complete this, I have no problems with stamina or tiredness, but when I'm jogging uphill I get pain in my ankles, shins, and calf cramps. I've always had pain in my calves while exercising, but I don't want this to hold me back. The nearby school doesn't even have a track to use.

I don't feel at all ready for W2D1. I don't feel like I'm succeeding at all to be honest! And I really don't want to resort to the treadmill because I'd much rather be out in the fresh air and scenery. I'm not sure if I should repeat W1.

I've signed up to race for life in July and I'd love to be able to jog the whole way, even if I'm not running. Any tips are really appreciated.

I'm not sure if this is the right advice as looking at others it seems to be best to go through the programme properly.

However, I prefer to enjoy my exercise and whilst I like pushing myself, I dont want to push too far and then end up not doing it ! I've redone the week 1 about 2 times and currently doing week 2 and am on my 2nd week of doing this. I'm still burning calories and getting that 30 mins in whilst increasing my fitness but taking my time.

If it hurts - I wouldnt recommend doing it all to be honest - or maybe taking up cycling? Is there anywhere outside of town you can just do circuits where it's less hilly?

Hi guys, i've read through this thread from beginning to end - its lovely to see how people have progressed, really motivating!
I started c25k last week and completed W2 run 1 yesterday. . I didn't find it too much more difficult than week 1, but the idea of week 3 scares me! I'm doing it on a treadmill at the gym at the moment but I will hopefully get outside to do it too sometimes.
W2 run 2 tomorrow :)

Hi all

I am doing the WW diet and have so far lost 1st 3.5lbs in about 3 months. I joined a gym and will go about once a week either swimmer (or my variation of swimming lol) OR treadmill, powerplates, rowing machine / within about an hour.

I have lost a lot of weight but I still feel... Wobbly. Need to lose a lot of weight off my thighs and tone up more.

Just noticed the C25K and wanted to find out more about it!

- would it be a good programme to follow to lose more weight? Tone up? Your experiences?!

- is it something I can do on the treadmill? I've paid for the membership after all!

- how many times do you do it per week?

I HATE jogging by the way. I get out of breath, a stitch... Just hate it. But I've heard cardio is great for fat burning.. And I have always wanted to like running.. Anyone else feel the same before c25k who feels different now?

Many thanks in advance!

bugsbunny2000 said:
Hi all

I am doing the WW diet and have so far lost 1st 3.5lbs in about 3 months. I joined a gym and will go about once a week either swimmer (or my variation of swimming lol) OR treadmill, powerplates, rowing machine / within about an hour.

I have lost a lot of weight but I still feel... Wobbly. Need to lose a lot of weight off my thighs and tone up more.

Just noticed the C25K and wanted to find out more about it!

- would it be a good programme to follow to lose more weight? Tone up? Your experiences?!

- is it something I can do on the treadmill? I've paid for the membership after all!

- how many times do you do it per week?

I HATE jogging by the way. I get out of breath, a stitch... Just hate it. But I've heard cardio is great for fat burning.. And I have always wanted to like running.. Anyone else feel the same before c25k who feels different now?

Many thanks in advance!

I've not lost much weight whilst running, but I have injury been running 5 Weeks and almost at target. I have however lost quite a few inches from my stomach, but don't know if that's just my skin catching up with my weight loss. It is however meant to be a great fat burner. My thighs are getting better definition, but muscular thighs is a family trait and a throw back to many hours of horse riding whilst growing up.

You can do the program in a treadmill although I love the being outside on my own, but I do live in. the middle of no where without many Chun cqHills.

The program is based on three runs a week with rest days between to recover.

hope this helps.

Hi guys, i've read through this thread from beginning to end - its lovely to see how people have progressed, really motivating!
I started c25k last week and completed W2 run 1 yesterday. . I didn't find it too much more difficult than week 1, but the idea of week 3 scares me! I'm doing it on a treadmill at the gym at the moment but I will hopefully get outside to do it too sometimes.
W2 run 2 tomorrow :)

Me too! still doing week 2 but this morning found it a lot easier than normal and did 2 extra runs so thinking it's time to move on. The thought of a 3 minute run is giving me the heeby jeebies though!

Hello all, pleased to report that I have just completed final session of week 2, rest day tomorrow and then will start wk 3 on Sunday.

My lovely OH has bought me an arm sleeve and headphones, downloaded the podcast (NHS one) to his ipod and loaned it to me, I found this a great help as you know exactly when to run and when not to and Laura the narrator is very encouraging, I know that this is not an option for everyone (I could not have afforded to buy an ipod had my OH not loaned me his) but if you have an iphone you can download it to your phone, not sure about Blackberry or other smartphones. Anyway 30 mins of continuous running seems laughable at present but onward and upwards x

Last edited:
I need to start week 4 I've done wk 3 an extra night but just can't see how I can run for 4 mins let alone 6!!! I just don't think it's possible.

It's a bit disheartening and I'm not sure whether to just give it a go or what - how have you all found wk 4?! X

Just thought I would comment on an article that my OH read in a running magazine that he bought from Tesco's - that having a cup of green tea half an hour before a run or areobic exercise increases your v02 max - unfortunately I cannot drink half an hour before any exercise as I have a really weak bladder but just wondered whether anyone else had read or tried this ......

Today I did W2D2 of C25K. it went better than day one of week 2 but I am still jogging very slowly, and as tractorgirl said, 30 mins of continuous running does seem laughable :hmm: Still, I am encouraged by the fact that so many of you felt the same at this stage and have ogne on to complete the 9 weeks so I will stick at it!
W2D3 will be monday, to give me a couple of days rest from running between now and then, I think i'll go swimming and do Zumba. I'll then start week 3 on Wednesday next week. Eeeeek!

Mizkirsty said:
I need to start week 4 I've done wk 3 an extra night but just can't see how I can run for 4 mins let alone 6!!! I just don't think it's possible.

It's a bit disheartening and I'm not sure whether to just give it a go or what - how have you all found wk 4?! X

Just go for it, you'll probably surprise yourself, I did. I've taken most of the runs one lamp post at a time and found I've managed to keep going for the whole interval.

Good luck whatever you decide to do, I'm just off to get ready for my first session of week 6.

Back