C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

Hello all, well am very happy to report that this overweight 40 yr old wibbly wobbly blob has just completed wk 5 run 3 ............ 5 min waik and 20 min run, oh my goodness it was tough (awful insomnia meant got to sleep at 3.30am and up for work at 6.20am !!!) at times I felt I could not do it, would say the worst part was between 10 and 16 mins but he-ho, I dread to think how I would have coped if I had have been carrying the extra 2 stone I have just lost..........

I cannot impress how awful I found week one running for 60 secs, I thought it was going to be easy as I have been doing lots of cardiovascular but I was wrong, it was hard and I was breathless, all I can say is trust in your plan and follow it to the letter, running for 20 mins is not easy and I did have a mental battle nearing the end as I wanted to give up but I just kept fighting like my life depended on it................. if I can do it you can too.

Am running a 5k on Sunday for the local Hospice, will only be at end of week 6 but hoping I can run for at least 20 mins............ good luck to everyone x

i did a fourth run of week 1 today. i didn't feel quite ready to move onto week 2 so thought i would do an extra one. it's my first run that wasn't in the freezing cold rain. and oh my god was it harder in the sunshine. i completed it without many problems but i was so slow and so tired. so another week one run i think. i want week one not to feel like i'm going to collapse at the end before i start week two. my knees are starting to ache now too which isn't good. so i'm keeping an eye on that too.

abz xx

I did week 4 day 1 today but I ended up doing an extra 3 minute run at the start as I restarted the podcast- I was amazed I was managing so convinced myself I had it on double speed and restarted! The last 5 minutes was easier than expected, easier than week 3 day 3 yesterday! Had to move my days this week due to weekend commitments so tomorrow is a rest! This is an inspirational thread!! X

Congratulations on your progress everyone.

I was bad yesterday and didn't go out in the wind and rain. I still did the 30 day shred though and I will do week 6 run 3 on Wednesday, even if it is raining - I can cope with rain, it's the wind that gets to me.

Do you think it's a problem I don't run outside at all? I have dodgy joints at the age of 22 and I think the extra bounce of the treadmill will help me more. Maybe just mean when I come to doing the race for life outside I will struggle!

Battynora might be an idea to start on treadmill and use the surface you'll race on towards end of training. 40% less impact I'm told on a treadmill v road running!

Tractorgirl, well done! I bet you're feeling v proud of yourself & deservedly so. Best of luck with your 5k. You never know, you might surprise yourself & run the whole thing!

Hello all, well am very happy to report that this overweight 40 yr old wibbly wobbly blob has just completed wk 5 run 3 ............ 5 min waik and 20 min run, oh my goodness it was tough (awful insomnia meant got to sleep at 3.30am and up for work at 6.20am !!!) at times I felt I could not do it, would say the worst part was between 10 and 16 mins but he-ho, I dread to think how I would have coped if I had have been carrying the extra 2 stone I have just lost..........

I cannot impress how awful I found week one running for 60 secs, I thought it was going to be easy as I have been doing lots of cardiovascular but I was wrong, it was hard and I was breathless, all I can say is trust in your plan and follow it to the letter, running for 20 mins is not easy and I did have a mental battle nearing the end as I wanted to give up but I just kept fighting like my life depended on it................. if I can do it you can too.

Am running a 5k on Sunday for the local Hospice, will only be at end of week 6 but hoping I can run for at least 20 mins............ good luck to everyone x

That's amazing! Well done :)

I'm aiming to get back onto week 5 over the next couple of weeks and that dreaded 20 min run then as well - nice to hear someone else that has gone through it and come through the other side !

Ah im starting week 5 today - i found week 4 hit and miss sometimes when i ran it i though ooo ok not so bad - and other times i was like ughhhh i cant possibly go on (i fully completed it each time but took much more effort on occassions) does anyone else find this?
xx

Ah im starting week 5 today - i found week 4 hit and miss sometimes when i ran it i though ooo ok not so bad - and other times i was like ughhhh i cant possibly go on (i fully completed it each time but took much more effort on occassions) does anyone else find this?
xx

yes big time - in fact I think I jumped to week 5 too early as week 4 seemed easy but actually was not at all!

Ooo do you think I should move on then?! I've done week 4 all the days now - week 5 looked mysteriously easier than 4 (wk 4 run 4 then 6 then 4!) (wk 5 run 4 then 5 then 4 then 5!) I thought the shorter runs would be easier?!

Hmmm x

Ooo do you think I should move on then?! I've done week 4 all the days now - week 5 looked mysteriously easier than 4 (wk 4 run 4 then 6 then 4!) (wk 5 run 4 then 5 then 4 then 5!) I thought the shorter runs would be easier?!

Hmmm x

Think we're doing a different app = week 4 for me was run 3, run 5, run 3, run 5 and week 5 was run 5, run 5, run 5 then run 8 run 8 then run 20 (eek!)

Week 5 on your app sounds a bit better than mine ! Guessing it's more about endurance now as it's longer?

Do you think it's a problem I don't run outside at all? I have dodgy joints at the age of 22 and I think the extra bounce of the treadmill will help me more. Maybe just mean when I come to doing the race for life outside I will struggle!

I'm not expert but I don't think it matters that you use a treadmill I think that it is more important that you follow the plan, I think there is a split on here between people that run on the road and on a treadmill.

Thanks, it really is mind over matter, I never thought I would be able to complete it but just kept fighting, good luck, you will be fine x

Tractorgirl, well done! I bet you're feeling v proud of yourself & deservedly so. Best of luck with your 5k. You never know, you might surprise yourself & run the whole thing!

Many thanks, I am planning to walk for first 5 mins then run for as long possible x

Hider28 said:
Think we're doing a different app = week 4 for me was run 3, run 5, run 3, run 5 and week 5 was run 5, run 5, run 5 then run 8 run 8 then run 20 (eek!)

Week 5 on your app sounds a bit better than mine ! Guessing it's more about endurance now as it's longer?

Omg your week 5 sounds scary lol!! Omg that's running for almost an hour!!!!

Well I've done it on my "easy" app lol wk 5 dy 1 complete!

Only thing that threw me on my last run was half way through I hit the emergency stop! (by accident I was too into the run lol) so had to start the last run all over!! Never mind! X

Hi guys

Some really encouraging stuff here for me. I started Week One, Day One yesterday, following the nhs podcasts, thanks to someone on here for suggesting it. I hadnt managed to download the podcasts prior to my run (no one in the house to help me!!), so I havent listened to it. What I havent managed to find on the nhs site, is how often I should be running this week? I have seen similar programmes that suggest doing something different on Wednesday like swimming. Can anyone advise me where I can find a written plan?

TIA

Debbi xx

Week 3 Day 3 ......DONE!:D
I did it after zumba tonight, which was silly as I was already knackered!
Going to start week 4 on Thursday...Eeeek!
Still can't believe I can run for 3 minutes, but next week looks really difficult!

Debbi, all i know is you should be leaving a day in between each run. I'm doing zumba/swimming on the in between days, or just having a day off depending on how busy my week is! I find swimming really stretches my muscles out and stops me getting sore legs/achey muscles.:)

Soooom.x

Omg your week 5 sounds scary lol!! Omg that's running for almost an hour!!!!

Well I've done it on my "easy" app lol wk 5 dy 1 complete!

Only thing that threw me on my last run was half way through I hit the emergency stop! (by accident I was too into the run lol) so had to start the last run all over!! Never mind! X

ha! I've done that before! What app are you doing?

Seem to be really struggling with this at the moment which is annoying me. Went back to week 3 today to try and get back into it and managed it plus an extra 2 mins on the run at the end but honestly was ready to give up at any moment :(

Need to get my focus back on track I think

Back