C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

BattyNora said:
Thanks Tractor Girl. I won't give it up - worst cast, I'll repeat week three before moving on. I do spinning 3 or 4 times a week normally thinking of maybe swapping one for a . I did a 90 minute yoga class before the run (and it was a tough one, was sweating!) and I think it zapped my energy more than I realised..plus just two days off from exercise must have affected me more than I thought it would.

Randomly...saying about weight dropping off...I've been STS for three weeks since starting properly at the gym. Anyone else find the first weeks didn't help **** the pounds?

Abso- flipping - lutely and it's frustrating me to I dunno what - I've not shifted any weight on 5weeks !!!

I've lost inches - plenty - but those darn lbs aren't dropping - and wi Monday I'm having a paddy if it doesn't shift! Lol

Xx

well my knees are almost back to normal today. but i don't want the same thing to happen again. i've ordered a rather swish exercise bike so i can exercise more regularly at home and hopefully strengthen my knees and lose some weight in the process and then try again. i really really want to be able to run. it's bizarre. i don't know where the need has come from.

also, i actually gained weight when i started the c25k plan for the two weeks i was doing it even though i was eating correctly etc. i'm guessing it was fluid retention as you can't build muscle that fast!!

abz xx

Just completed week 7 run 1.

The thing I'm finding amazing about this program is that although each week has been a challenge and has pushed me, apart from the first run of the first week which was the most challenging, no week has actually been more physically challenging than the other.

Hello all, just completed week 6 run 3, 25 minute run !!! not going to say that it was easy but I got through it, even mangaged to speed up at the end, I do have a fighter mentality (think it is from being a former single parent !) well I just ran (jogged more like) like my life depended on it ..................

Just a thought, am I am by no means an expert on this, but you ladies that are complaining about STS are you actually eating enough, I do a lot of exercise and I found that I was not eating enough hence my body went into starvation mode so just a thought to check that you are eating enought if you are doing lots of exercise, also make sure you are well watered.

I am on Rosemary Conley and whenever I think that I am going to have a big loss - I lose a little and when I think I have eaten too much or the wrong things I have a good loss, it really is bizarre but my consultant told me to eat more as she said my body needed it due to all the classes I attend plus the couch25k x

Tractor girl said:
Hello all, just completed week 6 run 3, 25 minute run !!! not going to say that it was easy but I got through it, even mangaged to speed up at the end, I do have a fighter mentality (think it is from being a former single parent !) well I just ran (jogged more like) like my life depended on it ..................

Just a thought, am I am by no means an expert on this, but you ladies that are complaining about STS are you actually eating enough, I do a lot of exercise and I found that I was not eating enough hence my body went into starvation mode so just a thought to check that you are eating enought if you are doing lots of exercise, also make sure you are well watered.

I am on Rosemary Conley and whenever I think that I am going to have a big loss - I lose a little and when I think I have eaten too much or the wrong things I have a good loss, it really is bizarre but my consultant told me to eat more as she said my body needed it due to all the classes I attend plus the couch25k x

That's interesting! I've just started to increase my food this week by switching back to Sw rather than cc at 1200 a day. So possibly I could see a loss this week!

Fingers crossed hey! X

Well done Tractor Girl and Tiphareth! You two are doing so well, it's amazing!

I'm glad it's not just me with weight loss. I can feel a difference, and right now I'm focussing on fitness rather than the loss, but it's nice to know. I also REALLY like the idea of having MORE calories. I really thought I was cutting down a good amount and expected a decent loss..so maybe i just need to play around. Thank you x

Hello all

I'm about to do Week 1, Run 3. I'm really positive about this. For the first time in my life, I think that I can actually do this!!!

BattyNora said:
Sinead....good luck with today's race!

Thanks a million for thinking of me! You're so good. I'm absolutely petrified & shaking at the mo. race starts at 2.

Hello all, pleased to report that I completed my first 5k today, in the pouring rain, was amazing, I kept a steady pace and even managed to sprint for the last 100m, I have my medal and could cry with the sense of achievement.

For anyone following the plan I only started the couch25k plan 5 weeks ago but have ran every other day hence had finished week 6 on Friday (25 mins) I ran the whole way even though I thought I would have to walk part of it.......................... five weeks ago I could not run more than 60 seconds, was shocked at how hard running is and could not believe how unfit I was, I have followed the NHS plan to the letter, followed a low fat diet and have done some type of cardiovascular exercise on an almost daily basis even though I am still nearly 2 stone overweight ..........................if I can do it anyone can, don't give up and trust in your plan x

Tractor girl, well done you!! I'm sure you're over the moon. That's an amazing achievement in only 5 weeks :) You've a lot to be proud of. I'm sure reading your story will help a lot of people who are starting out & struggling. It just goes to show what you can do with a bit of faith & determination.

I just about managed my 10k race today. I found it very tough but I did it & feeling quite proud of myself. I've another one in 2 weeks time so I'm hoping I'll be able to improve my time a little.

Just completed week 1 :D I cannot believe I managed it as I have never been able to run and certainly wouldn't have been able to do it without the aid of the podcast.

I'm actually looking forward to starting week 2 !!!!!

Just completed week 1 :D I cannot believe I managed it as I have never been able to run and certainly wouldn't have been able to do it without the aid of the podcast.

I'm actually looking forward to starting week 2 !!!!!

Me too Njay :) I had to wait for the snow to stop before I went out though. Wasnt expecting that in May!!

Debbi8489 said:
Me too Njay :) I had to wait for the snow to stop before I went out though. Wasnt expecting that in May!!

Ooh Debbi, where is it snowing in May ????

Tractor girl, well done you!! I'm sure you're over the moon. That's an amazing achievement in only 5 weeks :) You've a lot to be proud of. I'm sure reading your story will help a lot of people who are starting out & struggling. It just goes to show what you can do with a bit of faith & determination.

I just about managed my 10k race today. I found it very tough but I did it & feeling quite proud of myself. I've another one in 2 weeks time so I'm hoping I'll be able to improve my time a little.

Thankyou and welldone on your 10k, amazing, that is what I am aiming for next, I never thought I would say this but I love running now, love the buzz you get when you have finished and also the fact that it is the best thing for weightloss !!!!

Ooh Debbi, where is it snowing in May ????

About 12 miles South of Edinburgh. Its fairly rare for us (in May that is), thankfully! My parents are staying with my sister in Brisbane at the moment. They are due back next Saturday...I'm too scared to tell them...they might not want to come back lol.

No snow today thankfully. But I feel that I'll need my thermals and hat on today again.

Debbi8489 said:
About 12 miles South of Edinburgh. Its fairly rare for us (in May that is), thankfully! My parents are staying with my sister in Brisbane at the moment. They are due back next Saturday...I'm too scared to tell them...they might not want to come back lol.

No snow today thankfully. But I feel that I'll need my thermals and hat on today again.

Goodness they will get a bit of a shock, I am about 3.5 hours north of Brisbane and it is still shorts and t shirt weather - the weather is one thing I don't miss in the UK. Hope it warms up for you soon !!!!!

Plan to start Week 2 on Wednesday, can't believe I am actually looking forward to it :)

Wow congrats to all doing 5k's and 10ks and managing the 25mins run unaided! Inspiring.

Today I managed week 5 run 2. I was doing the 20 minute but only managed 10 mins before giving up and going back to the 8 minute run instead!

No idea how i'll manage the 20 mins on Thursday so think I might just do the 8 minute runs until im confident.

Do you think the heavier you are the harder it is? I'm wondering if i'll find this easier in a couple months when im a couple stone lighter but dont want to use that as an excuse to give up (not giving up btw!)

Wow congrats to all doing 5k's and 10ks and managing the 25mins run unaided! Inspiring.

Today I managed week 5 run 2. I was doing the 20 minute but only managed 10 mins before giving up and going back to the 8 minute run instead!

No idea how i'll manage the 20 mins on Thursday so think I might just do the 8 minute runs until im confident.

Do you think the heavier you are the harder it is? I'm wondering if i'll find this easier in a couple months when im a couple stone lighter but dont want to use that as an excuse to give up (not giving up btw!)

I certainly think that it is harder the heavier you are, unless you are super tall, I have lost 2 stone 4lbs to date and I certainly would not have managed it when I was heavier.

Just a thought, are you doing other exercise on your rest days to improved fitness as this certainly helped me, also make sure you are pacing yourself, just a gentle jog, if you need to go back and repeat then I think you should, I do think the only reason I progressed to 5k within a relatively short period ( 5 weeks) was that I ran every other day and on my rest days I did some form of cardiovascular exercise but completing 5k at my start weight, well I would have really struggled.

I did week 4 day 1 yesterday. It was really hard but I managed it :)

Well done to all of you with your amazing 5 and 10k runs, that's brilliant! Still don't see myself ever reaching that stage but keeping the faith with the podcast!!

Back