C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

wheres this app ??? i have a blackberry is da no good?

I don't have an app on my Blackberry (there might be one but I've not come across it) but you can download the NHS couch to 5k podcasts for free from iTunes to put onto an iPod/mp3 player :)

Just did wk6 r2 and boy did I enjoy it. I hated r1 of wk6 and felt down about it but it's completely turned around today. I can't wait for the 25 min run on Friday!

I certainly think that it is harder the heavier you are, unless you are super tall, I have lost 2 stone 4lbs to date and I certainly would not have managed it when I was heavier.

Just a thought, are you doing other exercise on your rest days to improved fitness as this certainly helped me, also make sure you are pacing yourself, just a gentle jog, if you need to go back and repeat then I think you should, I do think the only reason I progressed to 5k within a relatively short period ( 5 weeks) was that I ran every other day and on my rest days I did some form of cardiovascular exercise but completing 5k at my start weight, well I would have really struggled.

I agree. Exercising on my rest days with the exception of 1 day a week, usually a smaller version of c25k or a high paced walk like I did this morning.

I think i'm going to continue on the run 8 minutes walk 5 run 8 minutes until im more comfortable and lose a bit more weight, then go onto that 20 minute run.

Certainly better than no exercise at all!

Goodness they will get a bit of a shock, I am about 3.5 hours north of Brisbane and it is still shorts and t shirt weather - the weather is one thing I don't miss in the UK. Hope it warms up for you soon !!!!!

Plan to start Week 2 on Wednesday, can't believe I am actually looking forward to it :)

I know...it was -5 on Sunday night :(

Did you start Week 2? I've just completed W2R2. I cant say I enjoyed it, but I do get a great deal of satisfaction :)

I'm back after a few days of not having time on my computer, and there's lots to answer so bare with me as I multiquote (now I've learnt to do it)

Well done Tractor Girl and Tiphareth! You two are doing so well, it's amazing!

Thank you

I'm about to do Week 1, Run 3. I'm really positive about this. For the first time in my life, I think that I can actually do this!!!

Glad you're feeling positive, you've already done the hardest bit which is the getting started, I'm not saying it's easy but it's a worth while challenge

Hello all, pleased to report that I completed my first 5k today, in the pouring rain, was amazing, I kept a steady pace and even managed to sprint for the last 100m, I have my medal and could cry with the sense of achievement.

Yay for your first race, I've still not booked one.

I just about managed my 10k race today. I found it very tough but I did it & feeling quite proud of myself. I've another one in 2 weeks time so I'm hoping I'll be able to improve my time a little.

Yay for your race too, you should be feeling proud of yourself

Just completed week 1 :D I cannot believe I managed it as I have never been able to run and certainly wouldn't have been able to do it without the aid of the podcast.

I'm actually looking forward to starting week 2 !!!!!

Glad you're enjoying it.

Today I managed week 5 run 2. I was doing the 20 minute but only managed 10 mins before giving up and going back to the 8 minute run instead!

No idea how i'll manage the 20 mins on Thursday so think I might just do the 8 minute runs until im confident.

Do you think the heavier you are the harder it is? I'm wondering if i'll find this easier in a couple months when im a couple stone lighter but dont want to use that as an excuse to give up (not giving up btw!)

I think it is harder running whilst heavier as you're putting a greater strain on your joints and muscles due to the extra weight, just think you wouldn't think of running home with bags of shopping. Good thing with the plan is you can take it at your own pace, if you feel you need to spend more time at a certain point then do so, but also I found that half my problem is more mental than physical and I have to convince my head I can keep running more than I have to convince my body.

I did week 4 day 1 yesterday. It was really hard but I managed it :)

Well done to all of you with your amazing 5 and 10k runs, that's brilliant! Still don't see myself ever reaching that stage but keeping the faith with the podcast!!

Keep following the program and you will get there within a few weeks.

Just did wk6 r2 and boy did I enjoy it. I hated r1 of wk6 and felt down about it but it's completely turned around today. I can't wait for the 25 min run on Friday!

I think we all have days where it can be a struggle and others where we just seem to float along..... well not so much float, but it doesn't seem such a strain.

Hello to all the new people, glad you all seem to be getting on with the program.

I've just done week 7 run 2 and have come in soaking wet due to the rain. I'm not getting in as much running as I want at the moment as my tendonitis in my ankle is playing up so I'm taking more rest days than I'd like to in the hope this counts as resting it. Back to the doctors next week to get it looked at again. Strange thing is, it actual hurts less whilst I'm running.

I did W3D1 last night (so glad it wasn't tonight, it's pouring with rain this evening!) - much easier than I'd expected it to be and I'm really enjoying running! :)

Rigby said:
I did W3D1 last night (so glad it wasn't tonight, it's pouring with rain this evening!) - much easier than I'd expected it to be and I'm really enjoying running! :)

I went out in the rain tonight and quite enjoyed it, apart from my glasses steaming up. Stopped me getting all hot and sweaty.

is this really as easy as you say it is

Easy may not be the right word !!! It is achievable if you follow a plan like the NHS couch to 5k and stick to it, I could not run more than 60 secs 5 weeks ago without gasping for breath, I ran 5k on Sun, for 25 mins on Mon and plan to run for 30 mins 3 times a week. Lots of good tips on here if you do decide to start and plenty of support !!

mikey.c123 said:
is this really as easy as you say it is

I wouldn't say it was easy and it is something you need to work at and push yourself. But it is do able by those who thought they would never be runners. Plus if it was easy, everyone would be doing it and you wouldn't get such a feeling of satisfaction and achievement when you manage each run.

no what i meant was you all seem to achieve it thaats all i cannot run 30 seconds hhhaah well i can just about

I went out in the rain tonight and quite enjoyed it, apart from my glasses steaming up. Stopped me getting all hot and sweaty.

I ran in the pouring rain a couple of nights ago - went out in just a t-shirt myself but put the dog in a waterproof coat, haha.

no what i meant was you all seem to achieve it thaats all i cannot run 30 seconds hhhaah well i can just about

Nearly everyone on here was like that initially !!! that is why it is important to follow a plan and stick to it, repeat runs if you struggle and try and do other exercise on rest days to improve your fitness

I think you should give it a go! For me it's just that it's easier than I'd expected it to be - starting it was daunting but then I realised that week 1 wasn't as terrible as I'd expected and that was a great feeling, same for week 2. I'd been worried about week 3 but it wasn't anywhere near as tough as I'd expected and I definitely wasn't a runner before starting C25K! Give week 1 a go, just take it slowly. It gets easier as you go through and your body gets used to it, although obviously you have to keep stepping up the challenge each week because if you didn't have to push on a bit then you wouldn't make any progress.

oh i fully intend to give it a go im up for a challenge and if i do it ill do it well its just like my diet if i get my head in the game its not a problem im all or nothing haha sounds good need to get some decent teainers though i normally only buy cheapones but need sum support if im gonna be running

Back