C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

Thank you :) do many people follow this plan outdoors? Or mainly on a treadmill?

- start weight 12.2 - goal weight 10.0

Thank you :) do many people follow this plan outdoors? Or mainly on a treadmill?

Hi Laurenmay, I recognise you from the calorie counting forum! I've been doing the NHS c25k and I just love it. I'm on week 9 now and am running 5k in 30 mins. 9 weeks agao I was stuggling to run for 1 minute.

To answer your question I do all of my running outside (can't afford a treadmill or gym membership). I have really enjoyed getting out and about. Although I've never expereinced it I can imagine that the longer runs on a treadmill could get boring. I always run first thing in the morning. In this hot weather I've been getting up at 5.15am to run before it gets too hot. It really sets me up for the day.

There is a great forum where you get loads of moral support and advice: Couch to 5K community | HealthUnlocked

Babana said:
Hi Laurenmay, I recognise you from the calorie counting forum! I've been doing the NHS c25k and I just love it. I'm on week 9 now and am running 5k in 30 mins. 9 weeks agao I was stuggling to run for 1 minute.

To answer your question I do all of my running outside (can't afford a treadmill or gym membership). I have really enjoyed getting out and about. Although I've never expereinced it I can imagine that the longer runs on a treadmill could get boring. I always run first thing in the morning. In this hot weather I've been getting up at 5.15am to run before it gets too hot. It really sets me up for the day.

There is a great forum where you get loads of moral support and advice: Couch to 5K community | HealthUnlocked

Hello :) I've downloaded the c25k app on my iPhone now, and seems like a good programme! Easy to use and the added benefit of being able to listen to music and the audio voice telling me when to run and walk etc..

I usually run at the gym on the treadmill, but it is immensely boring and with this weather really hot and sticky! I wanna go running in the mornings, but it's so difficult with me being up at 5am for work already. I'd have to get up at about 4 in order to do a run and have a quick shower before work too..

I've ordered a sports arm band from amazon to hold my iPhone while I run, as I'm way too worried about it flying out of my hoody pocket! & it should be here tomorrow, so if it is then I think I'll be dragging my bum out of bed 4am Thursday morning and having a go of c25k :) x

I did day 3 week 3 today. Then stupidly listened to what week 4 is, sounds like a BIG jump.
i run with a bum bag, feel a bit stupid but put my phone in it and as a diabetic I take my glucose and test kit (not that I ever need it but the 1 time I don't take it I'll need it!)

Hi all

Downloaded the app last night and completed week 1 run 1 after work at the gym, feel pretty accomplished as I've never really ran before! I'm at the start of a long journey trying to lose at least 21lbs and increase general fitness. I'm usually great at starting things and lose motivation part way through and give up. Am hoping to gain some moral support through mini mins hope you don't mind my joining the discussion?!

W3D1 done and feeling good about it! Paced myself and did well. The funny part was when the voiceover said 'I know you might feel exhausted...' and I thought no, I'm actually fine thanks!

I LOVE that feeling! :)

I did week 7 run 1 today, better times than normal (marginally). Covered 3.49 km in a few seconds over 25 minutes :)So I'd make 5k in 35 minutes at that pace. Really hoping for 30mins so need to push on!! At the worst (uphill) bit, one of those "effortless runners" just glided by me....there's me wobbling along, blood, sweat and tears were close! haha

Those effortless runners may well have started with C25K themselves, keep it up and soon that could be you :)

Hi all

Downloaded the app last night and completed week 1 run 1 after work at the gym, feel pretty accomplished as I've never really ran before! I'm at the start of a long journey trying to lose at least 21lbs and increase general fitness. I'm usually great at starting things and lose motivation part way through and give up. Am hoping to gain some moral support through mini mins hope you don't mind my joining the discussion?!

I find C25K such a motivating programme in itself. I struggle to stick with these things too but I think it's good because of how often the runs change (each week at first) so it doesn't get too repetitive. I can't stress enough how much I hope you stick with it, I think it's fantastic!

Guess who just completed W5D3 :D I'm so chuffed with myself, I still can't quite believe I ran for twenty minutes and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected. At the end I was surprised when she said to stop running, I could have kept going for a bit longer! :)

I run outdoors too. I tend to run at night to avoid the heat (and to avoid having to get up extra early!), but that's not going to be ideal for a lot of people. It suits me because I tend to be up later and it's pretty safe where I live, plus I have a big dog with me, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Well I've just finished in the gym, and W1D1 of the C25K is complete! Feeling proud for achieving something and so bloody sweaty! Lol. Off home for some 30 day shred then a good shower :)

- start weight 12.4 - goal weight 10.0

Completed week 4 day 1 yesterday - so chuffed with myself as 4 weeks ago I really struggled to do a 60 second run and there I was yesterday itching to get out and see if I could actually run for 5 minutes :D
I know I certainly would not have been able to do any of this without the podcasts - they really are great !!!

Well done! Five minutes is a huge milestone, keep up the hard work :D

Well done! Five minutes is a huge milestone, keep up the hard work :D

Thanks Rigby, just read your previous post WOW - 25 minutes not even going to think about that at the moment that really is a tremendous achievement you must be feeling great and so pleased with yourself :clap:

I'm going to attempt W3D2 tonight, I have no doubt I can physically do it as I did Monday, and was very proud! But I climbed mount snowdon on Tuesday so my legs are still a little sore. Hoping the warm up loosens them out a bit.

I completed wk9 run3 this morning! I even manged to do cover 5k in the 30 mins which I am so pleased about. When I started this program I remember finding week one and two so tough. I used to dread the running bits! But now I can run for 30 mins. I'm not saying it's effortless becasue it certainly isn't, infact it's a real mental challenge to keep going much of the time. However the 'high' you get after finishing a run is just fab!

Good luck to all you other c25kers!

I completed wk9 run3 this morning! I even manged to do cover 5k in the 30 mins which I am so pleased about. When I started this program I remember finding week one and two so tough. I used to dread the running bits! But now I can run for 30 mins. I'm not saying it's effortless becasue it certainly isn't, infact it's a real mental challenge to keep going much of the time. However the 'high' you get after finishing a run is just fab!

Good luck to all you other c25kers!

Congratulations on completing C25K! I hope you stick with the running now! :D

I did W6D1 last night :)

Hi can I join please as I'm on week 2 day 2 and I need lots of help as I'm seriously unfit. Can anyone tell me if they have lost any weight doing this challenge as I'm hoping it's going to help me shed a few pounds

I did day 1 of week 4 today. Found it much easier than I was expecting.
I was doing an exercise DVD before this and my weight losses were small. They have increased since I've been doing c25k but not sure if that's just coincidence.

Hi can I join please as I'm on week 2 day 2 and I need lots of help as I'm seriously unfit. Can anyone tell me if they have lost any weight doing this challenge as I'm hoping it's going to help me shed a few pounds

A lot of people say it's not great for weight loss but I've been losing weight doing it and combining it with sensible eating and other exercise. My view on it though is that it's a fantastic thing to be doing, weight loss or otherwise. I'm in the middle of week 6 now and I'm SO much fitter and I feel more toned. If I lose weight doing it (I've lost 13lb in the last month or so) then that's a bonus :)

I think C25K alone probably won't provide a great deal of weight loss, but it is cardio and therefore will help you lose weight! Along with toning your body, improving stamina and endurance and general fitness, so it's an amazing programme to follow. If you were to incorporate C25K with other cardio, and a regular exercise regime then you're definitely going to lose weight - but must be eating a sensible healthy diet too! :)

- start weight 12.4 - goal weight 10.0

Back