C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

Morning all

Finished week 6, yay! I found run 3 easier than run 2 which is bizarre. I use the nhs choices podcasts, but also runningpal to gauge my speed, distance etc. I also have my heart rate monitor lol.

I find that it takes me a good 10 minutes to get into my stride. Then, usually when the podcast tells me that I have 60 seconds left, I can speed up and finish on a high. This is the stage that I got to last year before I got my wee puppy. I'm looking forward to improving my speed as I feel that I am very slow. But its all about finishing at the moment, eh?

Have a lovely Saturday folks, I'm off to work xx

Morning all

Finished week 6, yay! I found run 3 easier than run 2 which is bizarre. I use the nhs choices podcasts, but also runningpal to gauge my speed, distance etc. I also have my heart rate monitor lol.

I find that it takes me a good 10 minutes to get into my stride. Then, usually when the podcast tells me that I have 60 seconds left, I can speed up and finish on a high. This is the stage that I got to last year before I got my wee puppy. I'm looking forward to improving my speed as I feel that I am very slow. But its all about finishing at the moment, eh?

Have a lovely Saturday folks, I'm off to work xx

Nice one, well done - I've got that one tonight or tomorrow. Funny too, as I always prefer the second lot of running to the first bit. I'm so slow too, running on a treadmill so I do know exactly what speed I'm doing, and even when I try and gradually increase it, it never feels comfortable so I end up dropping down to where I know I can cope! Haven't dared to look ahead at week 7 yet - good luck!

Nice one, well done - I've got that one tonight or tomorrow. Funny too, as I always prefer the second lot of running to the first bit. I'm so slow too, running on a treadmill so I do know exactly what speed I'm doing, and even when I try and gradually increase it, it never feels comfortable so I end up dropping down to where I know I can cope! Haven't dared to look ahead at week 7 yet - good luck!

What speed are you running at? I'm averaging just under 15 miles per minute. I'm sure I could actually WALK faster lol.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Heading off to do Week 7 Run 1. I'm sunburnt (I really should know better by now!) and have various aches from doing a BodyPump class for the first time in months yesterday!

How is everyone doing?

Wow Debbie you're speedy! Fifteen miles a minute? Lol I'm the same though about a 12 minute mile.
As they say though no matter how slow you're going you're still lapping everyone sat on the sofa .:)

Doh!!!! That'll be 15 minutes per mile then, ha ha ha. I almost cracked the 14 minutes per mile. Down to 14.07 today, yay!!

But you're right. And on my podcast today, Laura reminded me that its not about speed, its about endurance. It was flipping difficult today, not sure why. Possibly a combination of sunburn and the bodypump yesterday. Oh well, onwards and upwards :)

I'm running in km/h - I think I'd cry if I saw it in miles :) I have just finished week 6 though, after making lots of excuses about why I couldn't attempt it! In the 35 mins, I covered 4.3 km which is the most I've done so far (the extra walk on the end boosted it, I know). Still don't think I'll get to the 5k any time soon, but I'm pleased with myself for having forced myself back onto the treadmill!

Well done CharlieMo! You're definitely faster than me! I covered a smidgen over 4k in 35 mins on Friday, which was my w6, r3.

Completed w7, r2. Another difficult run. I keep thinking that if I stick at it, then it'll get easier. It will, wont it?

I keep telling myself that too! I'm sure it has to - well done, week 7 doesn't look easy at all!

I think I'm only going that little bit faster (which actually isn't very much at all) because I'm inside. If I was outside, I think I'd probably be really slow and definitely need to stop a couple of times.

Ladies it does get easier. I started on the C25k then used bridge to 10k and finally Hal higdon's 1/2 marathon to get me round the Great North Run last year. Still not the fastest but my endurance is amazing when I look back to week 1 of c25k x

Thats good to hear Party Girl, thanks :)

Finished C25K Week 7. Its not been easy, but onwards and upwards.

Completed Week 8, run 1 today.

I dropped the pace a little and that helped.

Hey, ladies, may I join in? I've done C25K a few times now (then have to stop for various reasons just as I was regularly running 5k - pulled hamstring, tooth implant (dentist banned me from running until it had taken) etc.). Back again though and went out this morning for the first time in 3 months. I started on Wk4 , I wasn't sure if it would be the right place but it was, I felt comfortable but it was hard work! It felt GOOOD to be back out there!

I do love C25K, first time round I was running 5k in 36ish mins (this is amazing if you knew me!), currently I'm on about a 13min mile.

Well done Debbi8489, time on feet is more important than speed at first I think!

Well.. after starting the c25k a few weeks back and barely being able to run for a full minute without collapsing in a heap, I'm pleased to rsport that yesterday I ran 5k in 32 minutes!! Only stopping once to do my jacket up ( pouring down with rain)

So proud of myself and even more so cause I love running now :)
X

I was 50 on Tuesday and until May 11th hadn't even run for a bus in my life but I decided to be fifty and fit so I commenced the C25K programme and got myself back on SW. Yesterday I completed W5R3 - the dreaded twenty minuter - I've got to be honest and admit I never thought I would be able to keep going but I kept thinking of the thousands of people who have completed the programme and that kept my motivation high. I have lost 13lbs in 5 weeks and still have two stone to go. But I'm REALLY enjoying it and have a Race for Life on 14th July which I am determined to RUN :)

Well done Lisa and Domane, that's fantastic! Hope you're feeling mighty proud of yourselves :D

I'm stalling at the moment, got to the end of week 6, started week 7 but just keep putting it off as I've got loads of other exercise I'm doing that I prefer to running (aqua aerobics, swimming, 30-day shred, squats and crunches etc). I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not having seen it through in the timeframe, but at the moment I can do about 15 minutes without getting bored or distracted and hopping off the treadmill :( Think I am destined to be a week 6 repeater forever

Hi all

Thats me completed w8. I'm a bit behind schedule but I'm fine with that.

Week 9 awaits gulp!

I might have to invest in some new trainers. My shins and achilles were sore throughout todays run and I've been fine until now.

How is everyone else?

Rather chuffed with myself today. Week seven of C25K and I had to sustain 25 minutes. I have Endomondo switched on on my phone which announces every kilometre and I could sense I was nearing the 4k mark so I passed 25 mins to get there! Actually ran for 28.5 mins. Can't believe I'd never run a step just 7 weeks ago!

Help!!

Yesterday I finished w4 day 1 and quite frankly it was a massive struggle. I was ok until the last five minute jog which I only just finished. Felt brilliant knowing i completed it but could easily have given up as it was soooo hard. I am totally dreading day 2 knowing I have to do it all again. I would really appreciate any advice you could give - should I build up the last jog until i find it easier even that takes a few weeks? Did day 2 feel easier for you or was just the same?

sorry one last question - What do you guys do on the alternative days excercise wise if anything?

Many thanks

Help!!

Yesterday I finished w4 day 1 and quite frankly it was a massive struggle. I was ok until the last five minute jog which I only just finished. Felt brilliant knowing i completed it but could easily have given up as it was soooo hard. I am totally dreading day 2 knowing I have to do it all again. I would really appreciate any advice you could give - should I build up the last jog until i find it easier even that takes a few weeks? Did day 2 feel easier for you or was just the same?

sorry one last question - What do you guys do on the alternative days excercise wise if anything?

Many thanks
All runners have bad days so don't give up! I'm only a little way ahead of you at week 7 and I've had a couple of really dud runs but I know that this can happen so I keep plodding on next time and I've also had a couple of really GOOD runs when I really started to believe that I can do this! If you try your session again and still struggle, I'd go back to the previous week's routine and do that for a second week before upping your programme again. The programme DOES work, but there is nothing wrong with stretching it out a little if you are struggling.

I have a Ten Minute Solutions DVD which I do when I get home from my run, mainly working on my abs at the moment (as my tummy shrinks I want it toned!) On my rest days, I rest..... :p

I did my W7R2 yesterday and at the 3.3km point I had to abandon it due to an intense hip pain. Miles from my car too so I had to hobble back, limping! I *think* I might have hip bursitis, I've made an appointment to see a physiotherapist later today so hopefully I'll get some answers... not happy in the meantime, my training schedule was down to the wire to get me up to speed and distance for my Race for Life on 14th July. That is now a big question mark.... :(

Oh dear I hope everything is ok?

thanks for the advice - the support and encouragement on here is what keeps you going. It's nice to know that others have been there and cone out the other side!

I did try it again but went much slower and that seemed to do the trick although it was still hard!!
I start week 5 next week so pushing on although how i will manage with the "big" one on day 3 i dont know!! what i do know is that i am still determined to finish the programme!

Back