C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

I did try it again but went much slower and that seemed to do the trick although it was still hard!!
I start week 5 next week so pushing on although how i will manage with the "big" one on day 3 i dont know!! what i do know is that i am still determined to finish the programme!
Definitely go slower! At the moment time on feet is more important than speed. I think the trick with the 20 minuter (I just did it on Thurs) is to take it nice and slow and just keep plodding on. Try not to look at your watch too much (I guess many of you might have the pod casts, though I didn't like the count downs), I find that the longer I leave it between checks, the easier it is. The odd thing is that you CAN do it. The first bit is usually a bit tough where my body is kind of confused that I making it work all of a sudden, then it kind of gets in the zone and it gets easier for a bit, then when I think I must be nearly finished it gets hard again. But I just keep shuffling on (stubborn me!).

I'm stalling at the moment, got to the end of week 6, started week 7 but just keep putting it off as I've got loads of other exercise I'm doing that I prefer to running (aqua aerobics, swimming, 30-day shred, squats and crunches etc). I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not having seen it through in the timeframe, but at the moment I can do about 15 minutes without getting bored or distracted and hopping off the treadmill :( Think I am destined to be a week 6 repeater forever

Have you tried running outside? It's whole different kettle of fish but MUCH more interesting! I also get bored, it's the biggest reason that I don't enjoy a run. I used to listen to music, but I now listen to a story podcast, it's so exciting that I often forget to look at my watch at all during the episode!

Well done Debbie, the end is in sight!

Hi Domane, we meet again :D

Chiming in to say I'm starting C25K. I'm a couch potato for sure. In the past when I've tried to be more active, I've had a bad habit of doing too much too fast, which can sometimes lead to injuries. I like the idea of C25K easing me into exercise gradually. I'm excited - and nervous - to start!

Have you tried running outside? It's whole different kettle of fish but MUCH more interesting! I also get bored, it's the biggest reason that I don't enjoy a run. I used to listen to music, but I now listen to a story podcast, it's so exciting that I often forget to look at my watch at all during the episode!

Well done Debbie, the end is in sight!

Hi Domane, we meet again :D

What a great idea about the story podcast! Will try that.. thanks :D

I started off listening to very upbeat club music and found it really difficult to keep to a pace with the beat... so now I tend to listen to slower pop type music.. ub40 and other 80s stuff but think I would really enjoy listening to a good book. X

Chiming in to say I'm starting C25K. I'm a couch potato for sure. In the past when I've tried to be more active, I've had a bad habit of doing too much too fast, which can sometimes lead to injuries. I like the idea of C25K easing me into exercise gradually. I'm excited - and nervous - to start!

I was exactly the same as you at yhe beginning.. my very first run lasted about 5 minutes but the fact I got out and did it is what gave me the confidence to try c25k.. I can now do 5k quite easily and I truly never thought I would ever get here..
Good luck and be prepared to love running x

It's odd isn't it? I used to hate running. Totally and absolutely hate it, now I have done the programme (a couple of times) and understand how I feel physically when I run, I genuinely love it. If anyone asks about the exercise I do I tell them I run :) feels good!

Of for w6r2 this morning. 10 and 10 I think. I always find it hard to get going again for the second 10.

It wasn't so bad. I paced myself (I still only manage 13min miles) but the zombies were so exciting the time went in a flash. W6R2 done, 25mins next! Bring it on....!

I was exactly the same as you at yhe beginning.. my very first run lasted about 5 minutes but the fact I got out and did it is what gave me the confidence to try c25k.. I can now do 5k quite easily and I truly never thought I would ever get here..
Good luck and be prepared to love running x

Thanks Lisa!

Did W6R3 this morning 25mins non stop, it was tough! I'm still flushed 3hrs later :D
How is everyone else doing?

^25 minutes nonstop is awesome, good for you! I'm nervous for those longer runs! I just hope my fitness will improve enough that I'll be able to do them! I've never run more than a mile at a time and that was back in high school. I wasn't even very good at it then - I'm not athletic! :p

I did my very first C25K workout yesterday. It was good and I'm actually looking forward to the next one. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but I found a podcast I really like here: The Chubby Jones Podcast

I really wasn't looking forward to it but it was actually okay. I just kept reminding myself that although it's tiring, I'm actually not going to get any more tired and kept plodding on.
Well done for your first run, each one is a real achievement! x I don't even remember running at school, I'm sure I walked pretty much every running event I was in :)

I remember trying the C25K plan a while ago, but having to stop as I had awful pains in my shins. No matter how many stretches/warmups I did I was in agony!

I put it down to being overweight but now I'm not so sure. Anyone else have problems?

Shin pain could be due to a few factors. I had pain the first time I did C25K only solved by getting myself some proper running shoes (not expensive, just well cushioned in the right places). I've also bought Sofsoles (from sports direct) which add a bit more cushioning than the original insoles - they're great. Have no probs anymore.

I don't stretch to warm up (I run first thing and don't want to stretch or pull cold muscles), but I walk up a hill for the first 5 mins which warms me nicely before I set off at a slow even pace. And I ALWAYS stretch when I get back I have my own little set routine as I have noticed a niggle I added a stretch for it), I particularly concentrate on the leg stretches, lunges etc and shin stretches (Calf stretch: Stand on a step. Drop your one heel off the edge of the step to gently stretch through the calf. Hold until you feel it loosen. Repeat)

I started running at about the same weight as you, it's obviously easier when you aren't carrying the extra weight around but it's certainly do-able! HTHs x

I remember trying the C25K plan a while ago, but having to stop as I had awful pains in my shins. No matter how many stretches/warmups I did I was in agony!

I put it down to being overweight but now I'm not so sure. Anyone else have problems?

Shin pain is usually caused by an inbalance of the muscles in the lower leg which we don't notice until me start running.

I had the same problem when I started C25K and tried a few things before I found the problem.

to start with try running on soft ground where possible.

make sure your lower legs are fully warmed up and that your calves aren't tight (also remember to strech afterwards as thats when most tightning of the muscles happens.

check that the arches of your feet haven't dropped slightly due to the running (which is what was causing my shin problems)

if they look low try buying an orthotic to raise your arch, these can be found on Ebay for around £3.99.

If the pain persists, the only real cure for shin splints is rest (but you could still use a bike to lose weight due to the zero impact nature of cycling)

hope this helps ;)

Hi

I am currently on week six ( completed the dreaded 20 minute jog) and am heavier than you so it can be done but obviously the weight doesn't help! The best advise I was given was to slow it down to the pace that suits you.

The best thing I ever did was get good running trainers. Mine were quite expensive but worth every single penny in my mind - the difference good supportive trainers make is amazing. Find a good running /sports shop who can advise as to the best pair for you. Whilst the programme is tough and I dread sone of the sessions I really am enjoying it.

Gooc luck

I really wasn't looking forward to it but it was actually okay. I just kept reminding myself that although it's tiring, I'm actually not going to get any more tired and kept plodding on.
Well done for your first run, each one is a real achievement! x I don't even remember running at school, I'm sure I walked pretty much every running event I was in :)

Well done you!
The 25 "jog" (I go too slow to call it a run!!) is fast approaching. Did you do it on treadmill or outside - I did my 20 minutes on treadmill but kept looking at clock all the time and think
outside may be better as more target based goals Ie run to the trees, the school rather than just counting down the clock?
cheers

Well done for the 20 mins, that's a major hurdle!

I've always run outside (I don't like gyms, tried the treadmill a couple of times but found it harder mentally (rather than physically) though I've heard others say outside is harder), it's a totally different experience. I have targets like trees, shop etc where I allow myself to look at my watch. I have a few markers I know, like the one mile mark that I try to beat, then go a different way if I want to mix it up a bit.

Went out for w8r1 this morning, boy, it was hard work. So muggy and I felt really sluggish. I really didn't think I'd managed it when I set off and was saying 'get to a mile', 'get to 20 mins' etc. Then before I knew it I only had 3 mins left so I may as well go to the end. I was literally dripping as I did my stretches :) (tmi?) . I'll have to look how far I ran, though I know I'm not running as fast as I did last time round. It is hotter, but even so. I'm probably heavier too. And I shuffle, I don't know if you could even call it a jog :D

Hi guys, I just wanted to say that I completed my first 5K Race for Life yesterday. As you may have seen from above, I got to week 7 and had to stop because of hip pain :cry: Last time I tried running, a fortnight ago, I'd had to pull up after a mere half a km! A visit to a physio revealed that I was very tight in my pelvis, thighs and hamstrings so I've been religiously doing stretches twice a day but thought I'd hold fire on the actual running and wing it on the day! :p So I was a tad apprehensive yesterday as I'd set my heart on running the full distance. Well the upshot is that the hip held! I managed to get to the 3K mark before a combination of the heat, a hill (beginner's nightmare!!), the stitch and I guess not having actually run for a fortnight, all hit me at the same time and I had to slow to a walk/run walk/run whilst I got my breath back. Then at the 3.5km mark I was off again and cruised home in 35 mins and 39 seconds. Slow, I know but I don't care about that, I'm 50 years old and until May 11th this year had never run a step in my life so I'm damned proud of myself. I've lost a stone and a half in the process so I'm halfway to target too..... :)

Hip is sore but not so painful so I am going to try to reintroduce a little gentle running. I may go back a few weeks of the C25K programme and build myself up again. Now that I know my hip IS healing, albeit slowly, I think I'll go to a running shop, have gait analysis and get a proper pair or suitable running shoes rather than my Aldi ones! :p I've surprised myself by discovering a real love of running. Last night I was looking for my next 5K run!!!! :eek:

Yey! Well done you! I think that's brill and 35:39 is nothing to be shy about, my PB ever is 35:48! :) It's great that you are back!

Well done that's brilliant! I bet you got a real buzz out of it. You will be doing 10k next!!
I must confess I am enjoying the programme despite how difficult it is at times and the support and advice on here has been truly fantastic and has really helped me struggle onwards so thanks everybody who has helped me.

i have got the 22 minute jog next! Fingers crossed I will do it......

Hope it goes well for you Zig! I've got my second 28mins tomorrow - hope I don't melt in the heat!

Back