C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

Well done to all who are pushing through and achieving a goal every day! It feels amazing doesn't it? Even our bad runs make us stronger.

I will most likely be repeating week 3 as I'm still having difficulties and that's okay with me.

I also run the same trail but I do run different directions because the left side has more hills and right side is down hill. It helps build muscle in my legs.

Once I manage to drag myself out of bed I plan to do w4d2 on the treadmill. After a few glasses of vino yesterday, I wonder how I'll find it!!

Well done. You'll soon sweat out that wine x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using MiniMins.com mobile app

thank you :) Just got it and feeling fab! Added an extra 6 minute run on the end! Don't think I'm pushing enough, need to increase pace. Finding my breathing is back to normal after around 20 seconds of walking.

Anyone else worried about running outside in the dark because of daylight savings time? I'm scared lol and I don't want to run in the treadmill because it's not the same.

Yep - I entirely blame all 6 of my bad runs on the time change. I hate the treadmill and the dark isn't motivating. Think I'm just going to find a better lit route!

Anyone else worried about running outside in the dark because of daylight savings time? I'm scared lol and I don't want to run in the treadmill because it's not the same.

I do!

In honesty though, because my work days are at least 12 hours long, I don't really consider going out when I finish work on many days at any time of year (in summer I may go out after my last shift, or after a day shift when my next shift is a night)

I think where I live would be safe, but it is dark here by 1645 and I hate running along side all the rush hour traffic (even though I'm in the suburbs I am really aware I'm gasping in traffic fumes) which is why I try to do routes off the roadside but then they're not lit. If I waited til later I wouldn't go out.

I first started trying to run a few years ago when I was away from home Mon-Fri training for work, the first year was in a hotel from September to December. I started then going out for a jog on a morning heading out about 20 mins before forecast sunrise time, it was all farm tracks then so I had the hi-viz gear and didn't use my headphones but I think now I would rather save it for my days off and enjoy doing it safely and with enjoyable music.

I tried the gym yesterday as I was on a course that finished early, but not early enough to get out from home before sunset - I was hopeless on the treadmill, I just couldn't get a happy speed or rhythm - though did manage some time on the x-trainer.

I am off for the next 2 days so will try and run tomorrow morning and then Thursday afternoon - trying so hard to be mindful that the weather and light will give me limited opportunities now and I need to make every run count.

I have foolishly booked overtime for several Friday night shifts this month, so that will stop me doing any more Parkruns soon.

My gym does spin classes every evening so I will try to get to those on the nights I can't get outside.

Reading this back - I sound like I'm making excuses!

I woke up at 5am today and it was pitch black. It's not well lit in my area so I'm scared of getting hit by a car. Though my area is good, I'm still scared of getting killed lol. I usually drive to the park and run the route because it's safer (I know, I know it's stupid to drive for a run but it's the safest way) and the park is not well lit either because the route goes in the woods. Sun doesn't come around till 6:20am and I have to be on my way to work.

I asked my boss to get off at 4:30 Tuesday and Thursday so I'll get home by 5:15 and it will be a bit dark but that's okay.

I have done a couple of runs in the dark and I don't like it at all. It's ok where there are street lights but 80% of my route is on an unlit road. I have a head torch which helps but I find I stumble quite a bit because the pavements are small and full of lumps bumps and potholes. It's quite rural where I live.

I should have gone out tonight but I was too hungry when I got home so I am planning a run tomorrow. Motivation is hard to find in the dark, wet, windy, cold nights! I want to keep the momentum going though. I have done a lot of hard work to graduate from the C25K and I don't want to have to start all over again. That's motivation enough for me!

Good Morning all,

I seem to have been blessed with 2 nice (weather-wise) days off. I wrapped up warm yesterday and got myself out and did W5d2 (2 lots of 8 min runs) which I achieved - but only just! I'm going to get out soon and repeat. That'll be me done, due to work until Monday at best, when I'll either repeat the same again or try for W5d3 (20mins :eek: ).

I don't have a set finish date or race booked so I am being flexible with myself with the weeks, just trying to keep moving forwards with it over the winter. Though there is talk of a 10k being organised at work for spring, I'm not sure if that is within my reach yet.

I've come to the conclusion its more about my mental attitude when I start out - if I tell myself "you're running for a REALLY long time, so quit whinging and DO IT!" I can definitely run longer and further than I expect.

C25k rocks! Hello to all fellow slimmers/runners out there!

I never intended to enjoy running, I was just trying to build up a bit of stamina so I could dust off the hockey stick again... But somehow it just got under my skin, and now I'm hooked!

I did most of the programme on the dreadmill at the gym (at a gradient) so I found the switch to the roads pretty easy and I'm fortunate that I can adjust to either and not be too restricted by the dark and rubbish weather. I graduated C25K in mid-July with my first parkrun - oh my, what a sense of acheivement that was! 40 minutes? Schminutes! I got round without stopping, that's all I care about. And I shaved two minutes off my time the next time I did it :)

I suppose apart from the revelation that I can ACTUALLY run, for a sustained period of time AND ENJOY IT, the biggest impact it's had has been the toning. Who'd have thought I'd ever have legs with a vague shape to them, and knees that look like knees rather than the fat bit in the middle of my fat legs? It's a miracle...

But, frustratingly, after a looooong lay off with a stress fracture in my foot I've only managed a couple of km twice on the dreadmill and, disaster, my foot has started aching again... :cry: I think I can feel another "rest" coming on...

Just take it easy! Don't want any injuries.

Well after my last 4 rubbish runs on treadmills or mornings I braved the cold tonight and knocked two mins off my pb again. Mojo restored.

I decided no headphones, no one telling me my distance pace or time. Just run... And it was awesome :)

I think I could have actually knocked a bit more off but that cold air really began to burn. Any tips? I'm too knackered to breathe in only through my nose!

Sounds like everyone's getting their mojo back - myself included. Big pat on the back to everyone who is determined enough to keep it going in the dark, cold, grim weather....

Maccamarsh - what a tragedy! After doing so well too. Hope your foot recovers quickly. Is it definitely a stress fracture or could it be your trainers aren't supportive enough?

Dan 13773 - go for the 20 minutes if that is meant to me your next run! You will surprise yourself...

Jenferous - you're brave. I'm not ready to let go of the voices in my head....as for the breathing, I struggle to breath through my nose. I do try to as much as I can, especially when it is cold but I have to resort to bigger breaths through my mouth or I will pass out! I seem to have developed the habit of forming my lips into a slight "O" as I run, which seems to warm the air up a little before it hits my lungs.

It was a lovely night tonight - quite cold but not wet or windy so I headed out for my first C25k+ Stamina session, which saw me running for 35 minutes non-stop which is a PB for me. I can't believe I was able to run for that long and still have a little left in the bag. I'm starting to feel I will become a "proper" runner after all, and not an imposter!

Keep up the good work everyone.

image-1820089920.jpg

Hey folks.

Today I did wk5 day3, the 20mins to the best of my ability - a few staggering bits and a couple of pauses waiting to cross roads (&catching my breath!) but better than I thought I'd be.
It has made me think though, that I really prefer the mix of run/walk and I'm wondering why I'm pushing myself through this - but I guess once I complete the programme I can choose what I do!

Working nights til the weekend - then will hopefully have another bash at the 20mins before saying good bye to w5!

Hey folks. Today I did wk5 day3, the 20mins to the best of my ability - a few staggering bits and a couple of pauses waiting to cross roads (&catching my breath!) but better than I thought I'd be. It has made me think though, that I really prefer the mix of run/walk and I'm wondering why I'm pushing myself through this - but I guess once I complete the programme I can choose what I do! Working nights til the weekend - then will hopefully have another bash at the 20mins before saying good bye to w5!

I'm doing that one tomorrow. Fingers crossed it goes okay.

Waaaaaa!
Not a happy bunny :(
On W2r3 and my knee became so sore I only managed 4 out of 6 runs! Wouldn't care but I could have easily finished if my knees were not sore!
Anyway giving them a couple days break and gonna do the last of this weeks run then.
This happened to anyone else?
I am so gutted :(
Jo xx

Feel amazing just did the last run on week5. Great achievement for my birthday. Going to start week 6 on Friday. I'll keep you posted.

Back