C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

Waaaaaa!
Not a happy bunny :(
On W2r3 and my knee became so sore I only managed 4 out of 6 runs! Wouldn't care but I could have easily finished if my knees were not sore!
Anyway giving them a couple days break and gonna do the last of this weeks run then.
This happened to anyone else?
I am so gutted :(
Jo xx

Rest and stretching recommended hon especially it band

Rice! Rest ice compression elevation. I tend to rotate ice and heat! I know it's a bugger but don't push it!

Thanks Jen n Gill!
I am hoping I won't have to re do week 2...
Can I ask Jen, will my knees always be a problem or do they get stronger the more you run and therefore become used to it?
Hope I don't back into it and then get sore knee again!
Jo xx

Just take it easy! Don't want any injuries.

Well after my last 4 rubbish runs on treadmills or mornings I braved the cold tonight and knocked two mins off my pb again. Mojo restored.

I decided no headphones, no one telling me my distance pace or time. Just run... And it was awesome :)

I think I could have actually knocked a bit more off but that cold air really began to burn. Any tips? I'm too knackered to breathe in only through my nose!

Hi Jeniferous. Way to go you! I also found running without Laura for the first time quite liberating, and now when I go outdoors I tend not to play her or music, and just run. Plus, it helps with listening for pesky motorists! (I am, of course, a pesky motorist most of the time, but boy can I get huffy with car drivers when I'm running!). As for the cold/breathing problem, that's one of the reasons I avoid the colder weather and head for the dreadmill. I have for many years had trouble with my chest when training outdoors in the cold. It might sound a bit drastic, but every winter I go and get myself a reliever (blue) inhaler from my GP, something like Ventolin. I take a couple of puffs about 15mins before I get outside and it helps open up the airways a bit, and then again when I get home to ease things. I don't have asthma, by any means, but the GP seems happy to prescribe it and it certainly helps, so I'll go with it!

Maccamarsh - what a tragedy! After doing so well too. Hope your foot recovers quickly. Is it definitely a stress fracture or could it be your trainers aren't supportive enough?

Thanks Maria. Yes it's definitely a stress fracture, although they missed it on the xray the first time around so I was walking on it for another week before I went back in agony and they spotted it (on the same xray - grrrr!). Given that I was only just a shade under 20 stones when I started C25K I guess it's no great surprise really... I got fitted for trainers and custom insoles at SweatShop so I'm hoping they're not the problem. I'm struggling with Achilles tendinopathy at the moment too, so I've had to scale things right back for now. It's frustrating, as I was hoping to be making progress through B210K by now, but never mind, I'm proud of getting this far!

Get you with your 35 minutes - woop woop! You are most definitely a runner hun. The lovely Laura has decreed it so - who are we to argue?

I finished week 4 yesterday so moving onto week 5 tomorrow. I increased my walking and running speed on the treadmill. Sweated like a pig ;) but still recovered quickly so going to push it a bit tomorrow :)

Thanks Maria. Yes it's definitely a stress fracture, although they missed it on the xray the first time around so I was walking on it for another week before I went back in agony and they spotted it (on the same xray - grrrr!). Given that I was only just a shade under 20 stones when I started C25K I guess it's no great surprise really... I got fitted for trainers and custom insoles at SweatShop so I'm hoping they're not the problem. I'm struggling with Achilles tendinopathy at the moment too, so I've had to scale things right back for now. It's frustrating, as I was hoping to be making progress through B210K by now, but never mind, I'm proud of getting this far!

Get you with your 35 minutes - woop woop! You are most definitely a runner hun. The lovely Laura has decreed it so - who are we to argue?

Shame about the stress fracture but at least you know you can get back on track again. I had a sore foot this week and I immediately thought about what you said about getting the fracture so I bound my foot up with crepe bandages and tubigrip. It seemed to do the job.

I ran another 35 mins on Monday (which ended up being more like 38 by accident) without my podcasts (because an apple update wiped them all = grrrrr!!!) and I couldn't make my mind up whether I liked it or not. I was supposed to go for a run tonight but I just could not face the dark, wind and rain. I'm going to need some real motivation to keep the running up over the winter. I saw loads of "real" runners on Monday, who were all running along the prom and I still feel like a fake!

Well after a week off because of my knee, I took the plunge this morning and did another day of week 2 (making it my 4th run of week two). Knee feels better, not sore but I'm aware it has been (if that makes sense).
What a difference not running for a week makes to your progress. Today I struggled completing the run, where as last time I ran it, it was a breeze!
Undecided if I should do a couple more week 2 runs before attempting week 3. Advice please?
Love Jo xx

Hi All,

I've never, ever been a runner in my life but I wanted to create some fitness goals and decided to make C25K one of them! I did W1D1 on Thursday and it wasn't horrific but wasn't plain sailing either! I have to be careful as I suffer from subluxed cuboid in my right foot and it can get painful very quickly. Not sure how many times a week I will be able to train for it as I already do a few other classes but hoping at least twice. I set myself my 32nd birthday in March as my target to complete so I have a few extra weeks!

Hi All,

I've never, ever been a runner in my life but I wanted to create some fitness goals and decided to make C25K one of them! I did W1D1 on Thursday and it wasn't horrific but wasn't plain sailing either! I have to be careful as I suffer from subluxed cuboid in my right foot and it can get painful very quickly. Not sure how many times a week I will be able to train for it as I already do a few other classes but hoping at least twice. I set myself my 32nd birthday in March as my target to complete so I have a few extra weeks!

If anything will get you running without injuring your foot, the c25k plan should do it. I have bad knees and they haven't suffered at all.
Good luck!

Having graduated from the main C35K plan, I started the "stamina" C25K+ podcast a week or so ago, which involves a 35 minute run. I managed it on all occasions albeit slowly and on Monday I managed to achieve a full 5k. It took me 37.5 minutes but I was just chuffed I had run non-stop for 3 miles/5k. I ran it again today but I found it hard work. It doesn't help that my route finishes with a couple of uphills, just when I am already pretty knackered!

I still can't believe that only a couple of months ago, I was gasping like a goldfish after each 3 minute session, praying for a walk! I know it is a well worn cliche but if I can do it, anyone can.

Maria, why don't you swap your route around and START with those hills (or down hills)? I have a similar route I walk and I either do hills first if I'm feeling good or go other way and do down hills if I feel tired that day. Lol. You're still doing the distance! x

Been subscribed and lurking for a while. I just wanted to say you guys are fantastic and an inspiration, injuries and all! I know everyone is different and it is nice to hear all your stories and about your C25k adventures.

I have bad knees so to maximise my success and avoid injury, want to get into the 15 stone bracket before I start running (i'm 7lb away).

Keep on running guys, well done!

Last edited:
Undecided if I should do a couple more week 2 runs before attempting week 3. Advice please?
Love Jo xx

Hello - I'm not sure how qualified I am to advise as am only just progressing into week 6 but just to say sometimes there has been benefit for me in repeating days but then there has alao been times where I've moved on abd surprised myself!

My main reason for repeating days has been because of gaps off between runs. Don't plan to do too many repeats though. Tell your self that you can keep moving forward and then if you really struggle you can repeat the new session. The program is designed to succeed with people like us!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using MiniMins.com mobile app

Maria, why don't you swap your route around and START with those hills (or down hills)? I have a similar route I walk and I either do hills first if I'm feeling good or go other way and do down hills if I feel tired that day. Lol. You're still doing the distance! x

Been subscribed and lurking for a while. I just wanted to say you guys are fantastic and an inspiration, injuries and all! I know everyone is different and it is nice to hear all your stories and about your C25k adventures.

I have bad knees so to maximise my success and avoid injury, want to get into the 15 stone bracket before I start running (i'm 7lb away).

Keep on running guys, well done!

Hi Toni
My route is a circular one and I have a hill regardless of which way I run. I would avoid the blinkin things if I could....
I am sitting here with a very sore hip at the moment so I doubt if I will be running tomorrow.
You are right to wait until you feel ready. Not too long away though hey? I look forward to reading about your running experience in due course.

Well after a week off because of my knee, I took the plunge this morning and did another day of week 2 (making it my 4th run of week two). Knee feels better, not sore but I'm aware it has been (if that makes sense).
What a difference not running for a week makes to your progress. Today I struggled completing the run, where as last time I ran it, it was a breeze!
Love Jo xx

Hi Jo,

Sorry I'm a bit later seeing this. My advice would be to trust Laura and the programme and just keep going. I often got to the end of a week thinking I wouldn't be able to make the step up to the following week and then consistently surprised myself. C25K is a tried and tested programme that has got a lot of people running, there's no reason why it shouldn't work or you as well. I had one run that was my nemesis (I won't tell you which one because I don't want you to worry about it!) but I think I psyched myself out thinking I couldn't do it rather than *actually* couldn't do it. I repeated it three times before I nailed it and then I never looked back after that. It was definitely mind over matter. There will always be good runs and bad runs, enjoy the good ones, accept the bad ones and move on! As for your knees, I found I struggled with mine as well, particularly my right knee which has always been a problem. Gradually they got less sore as my body adjusted. I did most of the programme on the dreadmill and my first outdoor run left me feeling like I'd been hit by a truck, but by the next time I got out there things were much better. Amazing how your body adjusts!

A final thought: there is a website called Health Unlocked which has a C25K forum which is absolutely brilliant. There is nothing that hasn't been asked before or that someone else hasn't gone through and blogged about, and I found it a really awesome source of advice and inspiration. Go take a look, and happy running!

Hi. I wonder if anybody has any tips to keep me out running when it begins to snow and get icy?
I have only just started and woukd hate to stop. Any tips please?

Just completed week 6 run 3. Managed it but don't think I will move on. I think I'll do the last run again to improve my stamina. What do you think?

Hi. I wonder if anybody has any tips to keep me out running when it begins to snow and get icy?
I have only just started and woukd hate to stop. Any tips please?

I don't know hun, I haven't done a winter yet. Maybe parks that have textured paths rather than smooth concrete ones? And if all else fails, hitting the dreadmill is better than the couch!

Back