Cabbage

ladyfelsham

Back to SW again
I took Steve's words on "cabbage, cabbage, more cabbage" to heart and got a 2 for 1 offer from Tesco.

But what on earth can I do with them?

Ideas please - even those with chilli in them :D

Suze

I also got that deal! Am currently boiling it up ripped into pieces n ill then stick a bit of butter on it once cooked.

Also, stirfried in butter is nice, especially if mixed with leaks n bacon :)

Someone (sorry can't remember who) mentioned perhaps making cabbage and bacon soup - might be nice with crispy bacon bits and cream scattered over the top!

Boil it, fry it, steam it and it's lovely with bacon bits. :)

Someone (sorry can't remember who) mentioned perhaps making cabbage and bacon soup - might be nice with crispy bacon bits and cream scattered over the top!
we need a recipe please people :D

are they the packs or the full cabbage? if they are full you can use the leave as a 'pasta' in lasagne type dish. I put cabbage /spinach in my cheeseburger pie as a layer too.

Thanks all - and good idea re the lasagne layers Vicky!

Also cooking cabbage gratin as we speak - if it's edible :rolleyes: I'll post on the recipe thread.

Susie

Ive got a spicy cod and cabbage soup recipe and it is to die for, but i'am at work at the mo so will post it later promise you wont be dissapointed :)

Boil cabbage, fry leeks in butter, mix together with a tablesppon of cream and loads of black pepper. Totally yummy and my favourite way to eat cabbage.

Boil cabbage, chuck into frying pan with bacon cut into lardons (pref streaky) when the bacon is almost done. Also needs black pepper (or chilli Suze, LOL). Watch the salt in this dish too.

What about making a spicy filling with mince beef or chicken then rolling it up in blanched cabbage leaves and covering with a cheese sauce made with cream, before baking in the oven.Low carb enchiladas.
lorna x

Hi peeps,

Got the cabbage soup recipe below will also post it on the recipes forum, i would eat this everyday if i could, its lush. Enjoy!!

Oh and if you need any help give me a shout.

Spicy Cabbage Soup with Cod and Garlic

Ingredients

1 Large cooking pot
1 Savoy Cabbage (best really)
recipe says 225g/8oz of fresh cod (but i look for the cheapy fish in tesco and buy about 4-6 portions.
1 or 2 knorr veg stock (depends on taste)
1 onion
4-6 cloves of garlic (depends on taste i do 6)
2 red chilli (I have 4 chilli's)
1 thumb size of fresh ginger (full thumb)
4 tbsp olive oil

Maggi Sauce - optional (found in sauce section or foreign food bit and supermarkets - it is brill stuff used it for years)

Wash the cabbage and chop up finely the garlic, chilli and ginger and shread the cabbage, also chop the onion (anyway you like) it dissolves into the soup anyway.

Fry the onion in the olive oil in the large saucepan/pot until tender but not brown. Stir in the chilli, ginger and garlic, followed by the shreaded cabbage. Boil the kettle and pour hot water into the pot untill the cabbage is completly covered (dont pour in too much as you want the cabbage to reduce).

Cover the pot and boil/steam the cabbage vigorously for five minutes stirring occasionally, ensure it does not boil dry (add more water if necessary)

Put in one stock cube into the mix stir and taste, if it needs that little bit more add the other stock cube. Pour in more hot water untill the pan is nearly full (depending on your pan) judge it if massive pan only half fill but little pan fill it up. Bring to the boil, replace the lid, then simmer for 30 mins.

Stir in the chunks of fish and simmer for a further 5 mins (this is really all it needs, till it turns white and flakes easily) Taste the soup and add Maggi Sauce in individual bowls if needs be for more taste.

Normally i would add 2 cups of cooked rice (to bulk it up), but this is a no carb soup.

I hope you enjoy this as much as i do - its soup-er fantastic:)

Sounds yummy, I'd substitute scallions for the onion if you're on induction, I'd probably add more chilli, but that's me. ;)

Thats the best thing Jim, you can add as much chilli, ginger & garlic as you want or only use a little bit (more the merrier for me :), also you can have any white fish really, not just cod, yummy in my tummy, lol :)

Back