Caffeine

Saddlebag

Silver Member
Hi peeps! New to Exante this week, did Atkins a number of times but it just stopped working eventually!
On Atkins, there was a big thing about not drinking caffeine- something to do with blood sugar levels, insulin and cravings. The diet says that it effects weight loss, although its a bit scientific for me to explain... It can stall ketosis and now I'm wondering whether my caffeine intake over the last few days is the reason I'm not yet in ketosis? I know it's only my 4th day on the diet but on Atkins it would happen on the 2nd or 3rd day?
Does anybody else have any experiences with caffeine slowing down/ speeding up weight loss on Exante?

I just don't want caffeine on this diet. I was a huge diet coke addict before but went cold turkey, other than very occasional cups of normal tea that colleagues make for me on autopilot, or a week ago when I went for coffee with a friend and was buzzing for hours! I now drink ginger tea made with slices of fresh ginger root, green/peppermint/nettle tea and lots of water.

I don't like the effect it has on my sleep quality/pattern - I am waking up fresh as a daisy, whereas before I was always very sluggish & grumpy first thing. Caffeine does have an effect on blood sugar, but I think caffeine addicts would find a VLCD diet even harder if they had to give up caffeine as well so the diet promoters don't ban it. It definitely has an effect on water levels, which can't help.

So no, I don't have any specific example of it affecting me while losing weight but I think if something in your body/brain is niggling at you to give it up then it's probably for the best.

Evil weevil thank you for your reply. I was a big full fat coke addict and also energy drinks, plus coffee and tea on top of that... So perhaps my body is still adapting to the changes? I am still drinking a lot of caffeine in the form of coffee and tea, but trying to start drinking more peppermint and green tea as I feel like caffeine is naughty?! Hark at me, I'll be giving up the cigs next :p

Back