Cali Sweden's Diary

Yup, I feel really stupid now about what I did. Now that I ate like a pig yesterday and didn't even care, the scale went down again. Well I pigged out on fruits. I had a grapefruit last night after I wrote my food log.

I'm going to go back to eating like I was before the baklava and cola. I am doing enough exercise too to that it's easy for my body to get hungry now if I don't eat enough.

I'll keep your words in my thoughts Ashie, so that I will remember that it still falls in the 80/20 rule. And no reason to beat myself for taking a day off :)

Cali I'm sorry that you had such a tough week :bighug: but it sounds like a valuable experience as far as gaining insight to help you move forward. Which is usually not a fun thing at the time but beneficial going forward! I think guilt around food (although I'm just as guilty, heh) can be really counterproductive sometimes - at the end of the day there are good and bad choices we can make, but our bodies do need food for fuel. I remember Bridget Jones realising that her underlying feeling about food was wrong as she secretly believed (as a yoyo dieter) that the optimal daily calorie balance would be zero! And I can totally see how she fell into that mindset trap. So don't beat yourself up, it sounds like you're on track to return to what you know is right and healthy. :)

Yesterday was pretty good. We went to a dinner and show thing with OH's work. The food was really good, and the entertainment was nice. I was lucky that this year's food was much better in quality and choice. They had potato au gratin, I took some but made sure to fill up on the green salad. I had a half plate of salad, it looked pretty crazy compared to everyone else's plate. But I wanted to make sure I filled up on greens and not potatoes:).

I also had dessert, but didn't feel too bad about it since it was a small cup, and I didn't eat all the whipped cream on it. Plus this morning the scale went down. So I can't complain, I've been eating and losing weight since Friday :). 80/20 rule is working, and not feeling guilty.

Breakfast: Oat porridge with blackberries, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, raw honey and soy milk.

Snack: 1 shortbread finger. ½ a kaki.

Lunch: Entrecote steak, capri salad and potato crisscuts.

Dinner: Quarter of rye bread with skagenröra (mayonaise, shrimp, dill, and other things), lots of green salad, potato au gratin, and pepper roasted pork with mushroom sauce.

Dessert: Whipped cream with thin slice cake and chocolate mousse cup.

Exercise: Pushups, crunches, and 30 minutes of yoga.

(EDIT): I almost forgot. Last night I actually felt pretty for the first time in a very long time. I know it sounds like I'm really full of myself, but it was the first time since I gained weight that I actually felt pretty. I didn't feel like a beached whale in a crowd. I was on the bigger end of normal size, but at least I didn't have a lot of rolls and jelly belly like I used to. :)

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a good day Cali! It's great when the changes in our bodies make us feel better about how we look. :)

That's wonderful that you felt pretty and good about yourself. It's a real boost and a motivator too.

I'm glad that you are losing weight, which suggests that you were definitely not eating enough before. Way to go, Cali - you're back on track. :)

How lovely that you felt pretty. That's a real bonus when you can look in the mirror and actually like what you see !! We all need to feel that pride in our selves!!
All your exercise and healthy eating is paying off!!

I forgot to do my food log yesterday but it wasn't that interesting it was the usual oat porridge for breakfast, and then for lunch and dinner I had a BLT sandwich on wholewheat fiber bread. Not the lowest GL food, but I was really craving toast and bacon. So what better food than a BLT which combines them both :)

Today was a much better day GL wise. Though I do have to admit that these cold and dark days are bringing out the bear in me. During winters especially here in Sweden I just want to sleep, eat, sleep and eat. I'm trying to fight as much as possible. I am having a few too many nibbles of naughty things throughout the day.

Today I nibbled on some crisps, chocolate covered wheatpuffs, had two chocolate covered cashews, and three sips of Oak aged julmust. It's a really special julmust, and not easy to find. Three sips is really good I think.

Breakfast: Oat porridge with blackberries, raspberries, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, raw honey and soy milk.

Snack: 1 piece of dark chocolate, and a handful of crisps.

Lunch: Chilli from the freezer.

Snack: A peeled apple, turkish yogurt with a lil bit of raw honey and pumpkin seeds.

Dinner: Korvstroganoff with aubergines and oat/barley/basmati rice/sesame seeds mix.

Dessert: The stuff I mentioned above.

Exercise: Pushups, crunches and 30 minutes of yoga.

Cali I'm curious if people in Sweden do light therapy and/or vitamin D3? At such northerly latitudes I wonder if these are commonplace?

Your food today looks good. And mm! Bacon! :D

I'm not sure if they're common here. Some people go on sun holidays to warm places to get tanned up during winter. I was thinking about taking Vitamin D this winter, maybe it'll help me out.

CaliSweden said:
I'm not sure if they're common here. Some people go on sun holidays to warm places to get tanned up during winter. I was thinking about taking Vitamin D this winter, maybe it'll help me out.

I find vitamin d to be very good personally. It's best to get D3 in a softgel as this is the format that is most readily used by the body. :)

Ok, I will look to see if they have them here:) Thank you Plum.

I really wish it was warm weather again. It seemed so much easier dieting then, and the foods are less tempting. The cold weather makes me miss drinking a mug of hot cocoa:(

Breakfast: Oat porridge with strawberries, flaxseeds, and sunflower seeds, cinnamon, raw honey and soy milk.

Lunch: Last night's leftover korv stroganoff and barley/oat/basmati rice mix.

Snack: A peeled apple, yogurt with agave syrup and pumpkin seeds.

Snack: 2 pieces of dark chocolate. A handful of peanut rings.

Dinner: Last night's leftover korv stroganoff and barley/oat/basmati rice mix.

The cold weather must be so hard for you, Cali. Can you adapt any fav cold weather recipes to make them a little more GL friendly? Otherwise you will have to do more yoga to burn off your fav winter warmers!

Molly - Since doing low GL, I've been adapting foods I used to eat to low GL. Haven't had a chance to do any special winter foods yet. But usually during winter I love to bake and eat really creamy things. So I think I'll have to pass on those this year, since baking even low GL will be a lot of calories for me. I know creamy foods = big bum for me.

I might have to take up your idea on doing more yoga to burn off my favorite foods.

I've been trying to be really good today. I would say it was pretty good. I was a little bit naughty with the peanut rings.

It became really cold yesterday and today way up here in Sweden. This morning it was -5°C, then this late noon it was about 2°C. Now it's back down to -2°C. It's a bit chilly out >_< I was thinking about going for a walk, but saw that there was still frost in the shades and on the cars. In the end I decided it was too cold >_<.

I did do a little bit more with yoga today to make up for not going on a walk. I also noticed that my arms have gotten much stronger when doing the plank and side plank poses. I'm not wobbling around like a top anymore :)

Dinner came out really yummy, I love stir fries :)

Breakfast: Oat porridge with raspberries, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, agave syrup and soy milk.

Snack: Handful of peanut rings.

Lunch: 1 slice of rye bread with peanut butter and jam.

Snack: 1 dl of soy milk and 1 piece of dark chocolate.

Snack: A peeled apple, and Turkish yogurt with agave syrup and pumpkin seeds.

Dinner: Chicken, eggplant, bellpepper, bamboo shoots stir fry, with oat/barley/basmati rice mix.

Exercise: Pushups, crunches, and 45 minutes of yoga.

Last edited:
Boo to the cold weather! You seem to be managing well with food. You deserve to be pleased with the strength you are building from your workouts. Well done!

Ooh, that's cold! Brrr.

Your food is looking great. Hope you are eating enough. :p

I planned to do 45 minutes of yoga today, but while I was exercising, I noticed that my stamina was on the low end today. I don't know why some days it feels like I can run a marathon, and some days it's harder. I stuck to the usual 30 mintues and felt wornout.

Today was leftover day, gotta love them:) I can't complain about leftovers since it was yummy, and it meant I didn't have to cook today. Two High GL snacks today, though I did keep them to a minimal. These cold days are really trying days. At least with low GL and the 80/20 rule I don't feel bad about it at all. Also with the exercise, and taking the dog out and playing with the dog in the cold burns some calories.

Breakfast: Oat porridge with strawberries, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, agave syrup and soy milk.

Snack: 1 piece of dark chocolate and a handful of crisps.

Lunch: Chicken, eggplant, bellpepper, bamboo shoots stir fry, with oat/barley/basmati rice mix.

Snack: 1 piece of dark chocolate, a peeled apple, and turkish yogurt with agave syrup and pumpkin seeds.

Dinner: Chicken, eggplant, bellpepper, bamboo shoots stir fry, with oat/barley/basmati rice mix.

Snack: Half a handful of chocolate covered wheatpuffs.

Exercise: Pushups, crunches, and 30 minutes of yoga.

Leftovers are great. :)

Looks like a good day, Cali. Well done. :)

Back