Calling All Maintainers

Snowbaby

Wants to shed pounds more
I am on week 5 of my diet and am so pleased with the results. I am looking forward to getting the rest of the weight off but also I am interested (obviously) in maintaining the goal weight.

I have seen many success stories of ppl who have lost and maintained that loss over YEARS and it is heartening to hear that. However, there are some who fall by the wayside so these are my queries.

* How do YOU personally maintain your goal weight? Do you still use the shakes every day and have a mix of food or do you only go back to ss or ss+ 1 if you know that the waistband is getting too tight etc?

* Any tips to success that YOU have found useful? Any pitfuls that you didnt realise would make it go back on?

* This site has personally been a godsend - has there been anything else that has supported you like photos or film, magazines or personal encouragement from others?

I would love to hear your journeys - plus pool our resources. Like for instance, I didnt know about any of the diet coke pitfuls - naturally I assumesd that nil calories meant nil weight gain.

Thanks in advance :)

* How do YOU personally maintain your goal weight?

Everything in moderation (including moderation occassionally :D)

Do you still use the shakes every day and have a mix of food or do you only go back to ss or ss+
Well. IMO, that wouldn't be maintaining. That would be yoyoing. Just my viewpoint on it.

So, no..I don't ss or ss+. I love food too much to want to diet again. It's done it's job for which I'm thankful. Now move on to the rest of my life.

I also don't use diet foods to maintain my weight. If you can sort out the head, you don't need to. I eat a variety of lubberly stuff, mostly healthy. Much that I enjoyed some things on Cambridge (tetras for instance), I can usually find things I prefer to eat to give me everything I need.
1 if you know that the waistband is getting too tight etc?
Same thing. My waistband doesn't get too tight unless it's water retention and that sorts itself out. Yeah...really.:D What does anyone do who doesn't overeat. Live slim. They don't cut back when the waistband gets too tight. That's what dieters do.

* Any tips to success that YOU have found useful? Any pitfuls that you didnt realise would make it go back on?
It took me longer to get my head around it than I expected. There were times in the early days when I reduced portion sizes after a binge. Umm. Trying to think of other pitfalls. I guess, remembering I have to be totally honest with myself not just accept that crooked thinking.

* This site has personally been a godsend - has there been anything else that has supported you like photos or film, magazines or personal encouragement from others?
Just the thought of being slim. It was my personal journey and I'm the type of person who tends not to look too much for inspiration from others. I always felt that just because they can do it, doesn't mean I can. So the only way I could truly stay on track was to believe in my own abilities. That took some doing.

I did have support along the way when things got me down. This forum wasn't here at the time, but another one was and 2 virtual friends were great listeners and didn't seem to tire of my moans. Well...covered it up well.

DQ was one in particular. The other one was Linda (CD Counsellor). Not my counsellor, but she really helped me in one particular struggle I had with the plans. Don't suppose either of them realise how much they helped me at the time.

Like for instance, I didnt know about any of the diet coke pitfuls - naturally I assumesd that nil calories meant nil weight gain.
When I was on another site, they all seemed to be doing the diet zero and perfectly clear drinks.

I realised that I had spent a lifetime trying to cheat the system. I had to put my trust in this diet because I had promised myself that I wouldn't diet again after this one.

It was doing the job, I had to have faith that it would work. I knew that I couldn't really trust my crooked thinking anymore. So, they said no diet drinks and since they had done the research (not me), I owed it to myself to just have a go at a diet without trying to cheat it IYKWIM. Doesn't mean I was always perfect, but I was honest to myself when I knew I was cheating.

Damn!! Another long message from KD. Why can't I do the short and sweet ones
th_sigh.gif

but we like the long and interesting ones kd :D

abz xx

See!!! You can do it!! You can do one liners! I'm a failure:break_diet: :D

Damn (again)...4 sentences there! Grrr.

ha. i don't know. i think a couple of words counts as short kd :D

and i ramble something chronic too :) as long as it's helpful rambling (which mine, more often than not isn't) then it's constructive and help build morale :D honest ;)

abz xx

KD your posts are knowledgable and invaluable so please keep them up. I am aware it's the mental side that needs to be worked on and the diet is just a faster vehicle to dealing with it. It's helpful to read suggestions from you and I think you're right. I just have to become a slim person not WANT to be one. Just be one. Therefore think, behave and act as if I already am. That's what I'm working on at the moment anyway.

Everything in moderation (including moderation occassionally :D)

Well. IMO, that wouldn't be maintaining. That would be yoyoing. Just my viewpoint on it.

So, no..I don't ss or ss+. I love food too much to want to diet again. It's done it's job for which I'm thankful. Now move on to the rest of my life.

I also don't use diet foods to maintain my weight. If you can sort out the head, you don't need to. I eat a variety of lubberly stuff, mostly healthy. Much that I enjoyed some things on Cambridge (tetras for instance), I can usually find things I prefer to eat to give me everything I need.
Same thing. My waistband doesn't get too tight unless it's water retention and that sorts itself out. Yeah...really.:D What does anyone do who doesn't overeat. Live slim. They don't cut back when the waistband gets too tight. That's what dieters do.

It took me longer to get my head around it than I expected. There were times in the early days when I reduced portion sizes after a binge. Umm. Trying to think of other pitfalls. I guess, remembering I have to be totally honest with myself not just accept that crooked thinking.

Just the thought of being slim. It was my personal journey and I'm the type of person who tends not to look too much for inspiration from others. I always felt that just because they can do it, doesn't mean I can. So the only way I could truly stay on track was to believe in my own abilities. That took some doing.

I did have support along the way when things got me down. This forum wasn't here at the time, but another one was and 2 virtual friends were great listeners and didn't seem to tire of my moans. Well...covered it up well.

DQ was one in particular. The other one was Linda (CD Counsellor). Not my counsellor, but she really helped me in one particular struggle I had with the plans. Don't suppose either of them realise how much they helped me at the time.

When I was on another site, they all seemed to be doing the diet zero and perfectly clear drinks.

I realised that I had spent a lifetime trying to cheat the system. I had to put my trust in this diet because I had promised myself that I wouldn't diet again after this one.

It was doing the job, I had to have faith that it would work. I knew that I couldn't really trust my crooked thinking anymore. So, they said no diet drinks and since they had done the research (not me), I owed it to myself to just have a go at a diet without trying to cheat it IYKWIM. Doesn't mean I was always perfect, but I was honest to myself when I knew I was cheating.

SNAP!

... do I win a prize for the shortest answer or ... have I just blown that!?

xx

Thanks for your feedback - I guess I was just wondering how I was going to be when I get to the point of maintaining (few months away yet) :)

Thanks for your feedback - I guess I was just wondering how I was going to be when I get to the point of maintaining (few months away yet) :)

I guess only you will find the answer to that when it happens ;)

For me you will know when you are on a good path when food is off your radar of things to worry about (if you have any things to worry about!)

I haven't done any diet since I finished Cambridge back in early 2006, if I was still doing a diet now then I would not be maintaining as such, I would still be on the yo yo train.

For me I am just me now, I don't keep the weight off otherwise I would be living in fear of putting it back on again which I don't, I just value being slim and healthy now high enough that I moderate my food so that I can still go and live my life and enjoy food but not to the point where I put on any extra weight.

In terms of advice then my advice is to deal with the real reasons you got big in the first place, whatever they may be for you, personally I didn't deal with mine until after I reduced my weight and had a breakdown because of it and only when I dealt with my past did my future suddenly become a lighter, brighter place that it now is.

Mike

Reactions: abz
Thank you for that icemoose - I know the issues I have, most of it is stress coupled with a really sweet tooth. I am learning to deal with both without resorting to food, it just takes a while. I must admit, your weight loss has been incredible :)

Back