Calling ebayers - Caroline G?

contrarytintagel

Hi all,

I saw Caroline's post about ebaying her clothes and wondered if you could give me some advice?

I have about 30 items of size 16/18 clothing to go - some of which were expensive and barely worn and very gorgeous! I've bought form ebay but never sold due to a post office phobia (ok impatience with the horrendous queues etc) and I'm unsure about packaging and costs...

How would you package clothing? Could I get away with brown paper and string and pretend am in the sound of music? The coats are quite bulky... and how do you know how much to charge for postage? Will I have to weigh it all?

It all seems like it might take a lot of time but after reading Caroline's post I could really, really use £100!! I have no clothes that fit!

Sorry about being moronic...

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

When I sold mine I mostly used jiffy bags and boxes. I'd package them up then weigh them on my digital kitchen scales then use the royal mail website to work out the postage.

you can buy postage bags off ebay hun! Personally, with clothes, i dont think a jiffy is needed as it just adds extra lump and weight!
We got about 40 for £6 i think! :D
xxx

I have loads I want to sell on ebay too, but I don't like the fact that you have to give paypal as an option as payment. I'd much prefer cheques as payment. It is a faff transfering money from paypal to your bank account.

Hugs x x x

Oo postage bags are a great idea!

I've just posted a load of bits today!

I bought postage bags off e-bay, 50 for about £3 I think. To check the postage, I tend to see what other people are offering for similar items and weigh some bits on my kitchen scales.

Be careful though as my scales don't always match the post office scales and it can be more expensive than you're expecting.

If you use paypal, you can print your own postage labels and then just pop the items in the post box - if they're small enough. Doing it this way, you don't get proof of postage though and you do run the risk of not paying enough for postage.

After fees etc, I have probably made around £50 for selling 12 items.

Hope that helps!

Ok, here goes....

never sold due to a post office phobia (ok impatience with the horrendous queues etc) and I'm unsure about packaging and costs...
You don't HAVE to go to the post office and queue anymore. You can print your postage labels through paypal and ebay now, saving the queuing. But it means needing to weigh them.

How would you package clothing? Could I get away with brown paper and string and pretend am in the sound of music?
You can package them however way you like. Brown paper and string is fine. Jiffy bags if they're small. Or you can buy those plastic posting bags, from ebay or any stationers. As long as it's packaged up, it's fine.

The coats are quite bulky... and how do you know how much to charge for postage?
For those kind of things, maybe weigh them and use the royal mail website to work out the postage. Or look at what other people are charging.

Will I have to weigh it all?
If you want to know exactly what postage will be, yes. Or if you want to use paypal/ebay to print postage labels.

It all seems like it might take a lot of time but after reading Caroline's post I could really, really use £100!! I have no clothes that fit!
Yup, it really makes a difference! Have got another load on there now. So you should definitely do it.

Sorry about being moronic...
No, you're not. Everyone has to start on ebay, when I did I wasn't sure how it all worked. Now I've sold a fair bit on there it's better, I know what's going on. So any questions, feel free to ask!

My advice....

1. Use good quality photos
2. Give as many details as possible - size, brand, colour, material, measurements
3. Use a good title that says exactly what the item is, including size!
4. Offer discounted postage if people buy more than one item maybe

I can't think of anything else at the moment! Will add more if I do :)

Back