Calorie couting

Nikki<3

Gold Member
Hi everyone :)

Just after some advice. I've decided to have a couple of weeks calorie counting. I have done it before but I'm always wondering about exercise cals and having higher cal days. Basically today is day 1. I've had 698 cals so far, which was breakfast and snacks. I'm still to have lunch and dinner and have 500 cals left!! If I had 500 cals for lunch and worked 500 off at the gym this will still be ok to lose weight on? Also, does having higher cal days help or should I stick with my 1200?

Thanks in advance x

I think it is a case of trial and error. We are the same height and similar in weight. I have been counting cals for a few months now and have lost all my weight doing this.

I always allow myself 1200 cals a day, never lower. I exercise everyday but I do not eat all my calories back for two reasons. Firstly the only accurate way to measure cals burnt is with a good heatr rate monitor (which I don't have!) and I do not trust exercise machines or MFP. Secondly if I know I have social events coming up that will make it difficult to count cals I will not eat any exercise cals for 5-7 days before hand so I can relax and enjoy whatever I'm doing.

So I would recommend only eating some of your cals back unless you have a heart rate monitor, in which case eat them all. Use your exercise cals in a flexible way to help you live a 'normal' life when out and about.

I also do what I think is called intermitent fasting. Which basicallly means having a big chunk of a 24 hr period not eating. I don't generally eat after 8.30pm and do not eat again until 12.30pm the next day. So that's 16hrs without eating. This means I can have pretty big lunches and dinners. I've never been a breakfast person and I'm more than happy to have black coffee drinks of water all morning. I'm definitely an evening eater and this routine really suits me.

I'm not sure if any of this is helpful but good luck with the weight loss. :)

Babana said:
I think it is a case of trial and error. We are the same height and similar in weight. I have been counting cals for a few months now and have lost all my weight doing this.

I always allow myself 1200 cals a day, never lower. I exercise everyday but I do not eat all my calories back for two reasons. Firstly the only accurate way to measure cals burnt is with a good heatr rate monitor (which I don't have!) and I do not trust exercise machines or MFP. Secondly if I know I have social events coming up that will make it difficult to count cals I will not eat any exercise cals for 5-7 days before hand so I can relax and enjoy whatever I'm doing.

So I would recommend only eating some of your cals back unless you have a heart rate monitor, in which case eat them all. Use your exercise cals in a flexible way to help you live a 'normal' life when out and about.

I also do what I think is called intermitent fasting. Which basicallly means having a big chunk of a 24 hr period not eating. I don't generally eat after 8.30pm and do not eat again until 12.30pm the next day. So that's 16hrs without eating. This means I can have pretty big lunches and dinners. I've never been a breakfast person and I'm more than happy to have black coffee drinks of water all morning. I'm definitely an evening eater and this routine really suits me.

I'm not sure if any of this is helpful but good luck with the weight loss. :)

This is fab thanks so much!! I got down to 9st 2 in feb and then have let it slip and have been around this weight for 2 months now.

I love intermittent fasting, I do this regularly as I love a good evening meal or a glass of wine without stressing about cals, this was how I got from 10st to 9st 2 it works really well for me :)

I have 2 social events this weekend and I have 105 cals left from my 1200 oopss! So I've been for a speed walk on my lunch burning 75 cals and going to burn another 400-500 in the gym tonight, but dinner is sea bass and veg so a lighter dinner so hopefully I'll still save some exercise cals for the weekend.

That's a real help thanks so much x

I'm new to this site (joined today) but not new to cc. I think it's good to mix it up, I try to stick to my calories generally, but like the option of being able to 'eat back' exercise calories, if the need be.

I also think planning is key, plan what you're having for breakfast, lunch, dinner, save some for an evening snack. If I blow all the calories by lunchtime, it tends to put me in the wrong frame of mine. In my mind, planning is what works for me :)

xj-esx said:
Hey Nikki,

I'd love to read your diary if you have one?

Hey Hun.

The diary will be up from tomorrow :) just had a crazy birthday weekend for my OH and tomorrow is the holiday diet start!
C

xj-esx said:
Hope the birthday weekend was good! :)

It was fab thanks :) I've started a new diary and my food will be on there from today x

Back