Calories?

Cazzie26

I know you shouldn't really be counting a but I cannot help but think I am eating too many calories. I don't have much to lose and tend to come in between 1600-1800 per day, which may explain why I haven't lost much past the first few weeks. One side effect of Atkins I never experience, sadly, is loss of appetite! LOL! I would be curious to know what everyone else averages at, calorie wise?

Atkins foundation says between 1500-1800 for women

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Overview/How-to-Maximize-Your-Chances-of-Success.aspx

There's no need to count calories on Atkins, but we do ask that you use a little common sense. You probably could guess that too many calories will slow down your weight loss, but here's a surprise--too few will slow down your metabolism and slow weight loss. You only need worry about calories if, despite following Atkins to the letter, you cannot lose weight. Then a calorie reality check may be in order. Depending upon your height, age and metabolism, you may need to play with the following calorie ranges to lose weight:

1. Women: 1,500-1,800 calories a day.
2. Men: 1,800-2,200 calories per day.

There is also evidence to support that whilst calories do count, your body adjusts quite well to whatever calories you eat if you are eating low carb and there's a wide margin of error (ie one extra knob of butter won't make you gain), so if you're a few hundred calories over, your body burns more, and if you're a few hundred calories under your body takes it from fat stores, decreases your activity etc. if you're a few thousand over, that's a different matter. the trick is, once you've done a couple of weeks and are used to Atkins, start listening to your body. It will tell you what to do once you've got all the carbs etc out of your system.

I think there's more on this on abel james' blog, brad pilons blog, and on marks daily apple.

I have to say though, that in general processed foods muck up these natural systems, making it harder to listen to what your body needs. One of the reasons you tend lose more weight if you eat clean / natural.

Finally, a word of warning, then I'll stop waffling. Whilst I truly believe Atkins was a genius, the Atkins foundation since his death seem to base their advice more on profit than scientific research. A couple of things jump out - the increased promotion of Atkins processed products, the advice on meal frequency and the whole sugar alcohols thing, which is quite contentious. It's worth being a little skeptical and researching things yourself.

Hope this helps. Feel free to discard any of my advice!

Cazzie hi and welcome... You're meant to eat til satisfied. And as you've not got too much to lose it might be a bit slower than someone with a lot to lose ... Good luck with it! :)

Back