cambridge diet, SS please be careful, I was on it

I lost 6 stone at SW and unfortunately failed at keeping the weight off,my own fault I may add! You don't see me fussing SW
Cambridge diet works for me and I'm sure going todo all the steps to ensure that I stick to goal when I get there.If you had done the diet correctly you too should still be at goal.

This is such a friendly supportive forum and it's a shame minority ruin it for others

regards H x

The diet is just the tool to help us loose weight and sort our head out. Maintainence is where the real hard work begins and our real learning experience begins..well thats what I feel.
Gaining back the pounds can be done what ever diet you do..as they say if you don't change eating habits for life..well enuff said! Think I am telling people how to suck eggs.
There are some truly inspirational people on here......and lots of support from most people. shame about the odd few!!

Needed to post as although post writer is correct, in that cambridge can be a bad tool, if 1) you're not in the right frame of mind, 2) abuse it by not sticking to plan and 3) not working up the plans when you get to goal.

But to say it's unsafe and dangerous I think is truly unfair.

Yes I'm one of the people that have abused cambridge, i'll admit to that, in that i stick to it for a few weeks, come off plan then wonder why i have a sudden weight gain, then try and restart every day etc, etc and never happens so have a yoyo effect:rolleyes: .....BUT I never will say cambridge is unhealthy or dangerous, i think it's a fab diet if you're in the right mindset :D.

Cambridge is a great diet and admire everyone who can stick to it, and who are planning to start it..but as many have said I really hope this post doesn't frighten people off.

And just to say
Cerulean is living proof this diet can and does work when you stick to it and work up the plans and i know she'll stay at goal xxx

Sorry for the ramble lol x

AOGG said:
I'll be waiting with bated breath as to whether you will keep the weight off for two years cerulean........... ahem:rolleyes:

Ugh, sunk to a new low haven't you? No one cares what you think mate, sorry!!

AOGG why do you keep coming on here with all your nastiness. It's a support group, emphasis on the support! You are one bitter, jealous person!

Miss r and others do have a point. I know a couple of CDCs who have, themselves, regained all their weight plus plenty more. This is by no means unusual. The problem is not the diet. It is, I honestly believe, the too-rapid reintroduction of carbohydrate foods.

Even following the steps to maintenance and beyond does not guarantee that the old cravings won't strike again, with terrible force. I speak from personal experience, here. When they do strike they can be devastating. Maintenance is a long, slow journey and has to be approached with great care.

For the carb-sensitive I think this is doubly true. Extra carbs can often mean the return of hunger, cravings, and the tendency to nibble we were able to avoid on a TFR diet. It's no coincidence that many just love to have food 'taken out of the equation'. It is when the food is reintroduced that the problems so often start.

Don't be too hard on people like Miss r whose own personal experience of a VLCD was not encouraging. Opinion is sharply divided on the value of TFRs over the longer term and statistics show that most dieters, on any diet, regain the weight. Usually quickly.

I think if people low carb after a VLCD, or at least go low GI, they have a far better chance of success. For myself the answer proved to be vegetarian Atkins. I can never overdo carbs without serious consequences! I lost ten stones and over 13 years only regained two after the death of my father and uni Final exams. I have now lost a stone of that regain.

Miss r was most polite and not at all nasty or accusative. I agree that this is a support forum but surely a polite and reasoned comment is not off-limits? Others are free to disagree, after all.

girlygirl1 said:
Miss r and others do have a point. I know a couple of CDCs who have, themselves, regained all their weight plus plenty more. This is by no means unusual. The problem is not the diet. It is, I honestly believe, the too-rapid reintroduction of carbohydrate foods.

Even following the steps to maintenance and beyond does not guarantee that the old cravings won't strike again, with terrible force. I speak from personal experience, here. When they do strike they can be devastating. Maintenance is a long, slow journey and has to be approached with great care.

For the carb-sensitive I think this is doubly true. Extra carbs can often mean the return of hunger, cravings, and the tendency to nibble we were able to avoid on a TFR diet. It's no coincidence that many just love to have food 'taken out of the equation'. It is when the food is reintroduced that the problems so often start.

Don't be too hard on people like Miss r whose own personal experience of a VLCD was not encouraging. Opinion is sharply divided on the value of TFRs over the longer term and statistics show that most dieters, on any diet, regain the weight. Usually quickly.

I think if people low carb after a VLCD, or at least go low GI, they have a far better chance of success. For myself the answer proved to be vegetarian Atkins. I can never overdo carbs without serious consequences! I lost ten stones and over 13 years only regained two after the death of my father and uni Final exams. I have now lost a stone of that regain.

Miss r was most polite and not at all nasty or accusative. I agree that this is a support forum but surely a polite and reasoned comment is not off-limits? Others are free to disagree, after all.

I think most people here are referring to AOGG's comments and not miss-r, also I don't think its fair for people to NOT follow the diet all the way through then come on here slagging it off, its just unreal.

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

I'm new to this forum & cannot understand why AOGG is having a pop at Sarah?!

Me thinks that it's jealousy......as Sarah is looking pretty damn good!

cambridge diet, SS please be careful, I was on it

II am convinced it wrecks your metabolism so you end up going back on to cambridge. I may be wrong but certainly it doesnt address any eating issues, well it didnt for me.

If like me you finish cambridge and go back to old ways you will gain weight.

To sustain the weight loss takes alot of will power and if you haven't changed your eating habits you will put weight back on.

!!

Miss r no matter what diet you do, whether it be WW/SW/CC/VLCD if you go back to your old ways you will gain weight. When you follow a VLCD you are meant to work up the plans, they re-introduce you to food, and then as you move up the plans retrain you as to what kinds of foods to eat to stay slim, you are not meant to get to goal and then go back to eating the same rubbish that made you put on weight. Good luck with whatever diet you choose to follow, but remember you cannot no matter what diet you do, go back to your old eating habits and stay slim

Well some people just love to attack and wound others. They may be afraid to do so face to face but online, hidden behind the screen, they can get away with it.

I tend not to even comment on such posts because defensive comment is often exactly what they are after!

Well some people just love to attack and wound others. They may be afraid to do so face to face but online, hidden behind the screen, they can get away with it.

I tend not to even comment on such posts because defensive comment is often exactly what they are after!

Completely agree with you...... however I just have to say it. Ahhhhh jealousy is such a terrible thing isn't it? ;)

Just report her post to an administrator - that's what I did, why should we have to put up with these people on here? She needs to be banned ASAP, this petty little "feud" she's got with Cerulean is beyond childish, I think we have a severe case of the green eyed monster...

I'm glad people are putting honest opinions here about the diet. I lost 3.5 stone on this diet and have gone on to lose a further 1.5 stone after. It is not a diet that is healthy for your mind I was bordering on obsessive and I think following sensible eating and exercise plans are alot better for the long run

Hi - yeah - I came down a bit hard on Miss_r in my post, I am a second time rounder so I have seen what happens and baby I know THE CRAZY HUNGER - I have worn the Haagen Dazs hat o' shame in a post VLCD binge frenzy, and yet...I came back. This time I knew what I was letting myself in for. And quite right GirlyGirl - I am following low carb low GI because I understand far more this time round.

There are mitigating circumstances to my first time round, I had wisdom tooth surgery the week before I got to goal, I was on morphine and hardcore painkillers and that's how I started sugar bingeing and then I just couldn't stop the sugar fixes. I stabilised for several months despite my crazy 14 hour a day job with an American bank during the credit crunch and stuck at about 11.5 stone until a combination of a bad boyfriend, a breast cancer scare and a redundancy tipped me back to the old habits. I got back on track in 2009 and started running and did really well until I had another redundancy and some really really horrible stuff I can;t talk about online. So - Cambridge really wasn't the problem. The fact that I really hadn;t fixed several years of using food to calm me down was my crap, not Cambridge's. So...after a year away from it all, getting to know myself, starting to do what I loved, clearing off my debts, taking a year off from rubbish boys I thought to myself 'This is where I needed to start from'. I do a simpler job, I have lots of supportive friends, no rubbish boys, and £40,000 less debts. Life is simpler. I have time for me now.

Sorry to make this so personal, I just want to point out that this is not a question of eating 3 foodpacks a day and drinking the water and reading the book and getting a bit active and you will lose 3lbs a week, you all have lives, complicated, messy lives and they will get in the way.

I finally decided to save my own life. That's what's making the difference. When I did Lighter life in 2007 I thought the weight would fix me. No. Proving I could lose all of the weight was one of the things I needed to do to fix me - but keeping it off and sorting out my life and going through 3 very painful years had to be done first. And I wasn;t strong enough back then to survive those years without food. But look at me now? I am doing so so many things I have been scared of for too long.

As to the comment above, that's that person's choice and opinion, and yes I have reported it. (That user has been screened from my view for several weeks. The only reason I know what it said is because so many people quoted it!) I choose not to comment on that other than repeating that this is a support forum. Miss_r is quite right to highlight the problems with coming off the plan...the other comment was unnecessary.

Cambridge is a tool. You are the worker. If it doesn't work for you, pick another one and I wish you well in your journeys - I certainly don't spend my evenings crashing the WW forum telling them they'll put it all back on because that would be rude!

Sarah, I <3 you! You are my inspiration sweet girl!

I was on LL, lost 6 stone. Maintained for a good while having learnt a lot. Got pregnant, put on weight, joined Cambridge due to mainly cost and because I KNOW VLCD's WORK!! And in an amazingly fast time.

Please do not make the mistake of blaming the VLCD, whatever its name, for your own personal failure to keep the weight off. The VLCD does it's job, you then do the steps to educate yourself, and the the responsibility is yours as to whether you put on weight or not. You have the tools, use them or not, your choice what the scales will say. Don't blame the diet - it's regulated by NICE and would be banned if it were unhealthy. Get a grip and don't put others off. I've gone from a very unhealthy 16st 5lb since April to a lovely size 12 and 11st-ish and am so much happier. Been on holiday and now fighting the wine demon. But binging on protein only, which is a massive learning curve for me already.

AOGG - how can you live with yourself giving a fellow 'sufferer' of our disease (eating issues-wise) less than 100% support?? I'm totally shocked!

Back