Can anyone help?

littlemeercat

I wonder if anyone can help. I've been doing slimming world since March 2011 and lost 5 st 10lbs. I've been building teh exercise up steadily and can now run 10k in 70 minutes. I now do a personal training (weights) session for 45 mins, a speed run of 3 miles, and a long run (now of 10k) each week.

Its all going so well, except my weight loss has slowed dramatically and basically stopped. I'm not eating differently than I was 5 months ago, so I'm not overeating or anything.

I'm still toning up - I've gone from size 20 to a starting-to-get-loose-in-places size 12 and the inches are still coming off. Any ideas on what might kick start the weight loss again as I'm still not in a healthy BMI? :confused:

Hi, well im not sure i can actually be of any help with your question but i had to msg u to tell u well done!! i bet u must feel very proud and amazing of your achievements, very inspirational!! I hope u get things moving again soon x

Hi there, first of all well done for your great achievement so far!

I wonder whether you've hit a 'plateau' as happens in weight loss programmes.

Also I have copied & pasted from an earlier response I posted elsewhere:

trimlee said:
Hi there, I have been working out consistently for 6 weeks with little weight loss but clothes fitting a bit better and me feeling more energetic.
3 possible reasons I can think of:
1. Initial muscle gain with fat loss -the weight will come off
2. Under-eating so body is holding on to fat reserves - perhaps go up by a couple of hundred cals and see how that works
3. Over-eating without realising (in-between meals or snack eating maybe) - try logging for a week or two to monitor a bit more objectively

In my case I suspect a bit of 1 and 3. Don't give up on exercising though!

I wonder if anyone can help. I've been doing slimming world since March 2011 and lost 5 st 10lbs. I've been building teh exercise up steadily and can now run 10k in 70 minutes. I now do a personal training (weights) session for 45 mins, a speed run of 3 miles, and a long run (now of 10k) each week.

Its all going so well, except my weight loss has slowed dramatically and basically stopped. I'm not eating differently than I was 5 months ago, so I'm not overeating or anything.

I'm still toning up - I've gone from size 20 to a starting-to-get-loose-in-places size 12 and the inches are still coming off. Any ideas on what might kick start the weight loss again as I'm still not in a healthy BMI? :confused:

Just wanted to say how amazingly well you have done so far!!! I seem to have hit a plateau at the minute too (1lb off in total since start January) but I'm still losing inches which is some comfort at least. I have dropped from a size 22 (though probably more like a 24) to a 12 at the minute & even though I know it should be a compliment when people tell me I dont need to lose anymore its frustrating coz I, like you, really want to have a healthy BMI. I'm due to weigh in tomorrow & have tried the obvious this week by eating lots of superfree etc. Not sure if it will make any difference as I ate a lot of it anyway but you keep trying dont you.

Anyway I hope someone will maybe have a better answer that me but just wanted to let you know that you arent alone :)

from what ive read and been told your body basically begins to get used to the routine and the amount of exercise so it slows down its progress because you become fitter and healthier, so when you get to that stage you need to intensify your workout (maybe do a high level cardio workout) or something. Interval workouts are amazing and its one of the best workouts you can do.

A couple of years ago i was a size 22 and went down to a 16 and i began to slow down, then i did some research and spoke to a couple of people and this is what i was told and it did work however i ended up putting a lot of weight back on because i let go of myself when i went away on holiday so now i have to work harder to loose it all.

So just try that, dont overdo it but give it a shot for a couple of weeks and see if it makes a difference or not.

heres a couple of really good ones im doing at the moment, and ive lost 2 pounds in 4 days doing it:

You can actually lose 50 pounds or more doing this workout at home - YouTube

Quick weight loss workout to help YOU Lose 15 pounds fast - YouTube

hes got lots of weight loss workouts on his website (mentioned in the links above) and he will even send you a free workout DVD ( i got mine a couple of weeks back).

Good luck ;)

Mini goal:
- To loose 7lbs by 18/2/12

Thank you all for you supportive comments and helpful suggestions. I think I will probably do some high intensity interval training on the treadmill - too snowy for outdoors!! Hopefully this might help to kick start the weightloss again. 4 lbs more would be great then I'm a healthy weight for my height and will have lost 6 stone.

Thanks again x

High level interval training (HIIT) is an excellent complement to training. you can challenge your body and this can kick start a weight loss if you plateau. also vary your diet too - your body is a machine that likes efficiency but you can make it work for you such e.g have some extra protein to keep your metabolism working

a HIIT weeks workwout might look like this,after a warm up;

Day 1: alternate 4 minutes running at at least 80% of your max, then do 3 minutes walking stopping when you have exercised for a total of 30 minutes
Day 2: alternate 2 minutes running at least 80% of max, then 2 minutes walking for a total of 30 minutes
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Now do 1 minute running at least 80% of max, then 1 minute walking for 15 minutes. Follow this with 15 minutes steady state cardio, at 60% max
Day 5: 30 seconds running at 80% of max, 30 seconds walking for 10 minutes followed by 20 minutes steady state cardio such as x-trainer at 60% of max
Day 6-7: Rest

Try this for a few weeks. its a challenge but you might see rapid results and you dont have to think too hard about what you are doing

At last I have lost a whole pound!!!! So happy the scales have moved in the right direction. One pound to go then I can be officially classed as HEALTHY!!!

More motivation than ever to keep going now.

Last edited:
littlemeercat said:
At last I have lost a whole pound!!!! So happy the scales have moved in the right direction. One pound to go then I can be officially classed as HEALTHY!!!

More motivation than ever to keep going now.

Great to hear; keep going!

Back