Can I dip my toe in, please?

junoesque

Hi Everyone.
Can I join you all, please:)
I am one of those people that lose huge amounts on a diet (like cambridge) put it all back on over a couple of years with interest and then go through the whole thing again (3 times). I move between size 12 and 24.. up and down. I have shedloads of clothes in every size imaginable, and end up wearing whatever Evans has that fits me because I'm too demoralised to think how I look matters.

So now I am determined to change all of that and today I have started on GoLower. I am hoping that this will teach me about a)portion size (my evil nemesis!) b) learning to listen to my body about what I actually need to eat, and when!

I look forward to all of us shrinking together!

Juno..

hello :) i'm rather new myself, just out of interest whats GoLower? :D

Hi back,

GoLower is a diet that is kind of like Atkins in that it's low carb, but it provides the food which you top up with fresh fruit and veg (unlike Atkins!).

I lost 4 stone on Atkins but I just couldn't cope with all that meat and I fell off the wagon.
GoLower provide you with a month's worth of main meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks) but you can have fruit with the cereals for breakfast and salads with the meat for lunch and it's all much more like real life. Also because it's portion controlled I'm hoping it will reset my concept about what a plate of food looks like.
Happily, it also tastes really good, and you get the benefits of ketosis.
Cambridge was fantastic from a weight loss perspective, but I found that unless I kind-of stayed on the diet for a couple of meals a day after I finished, the weight just piled back on at a terrifying rate, and I couldn't control it with anything other than the packs.. and I don't want to spend the rest of my life having shakes!
This seems successful so far, but I'm here for the long haul, so I'll wait and see before telling the world how great it is.. but so far, so good!

What are you following?

Juno..

Hey there Juno, welcome!!!!
I am with you on the portion control (think thats my main problem!)
So what is GoLower? Never heard of it!
Good Luck with your weight loss and keep us posted!
Sammy x

Hi Zeviel and Sammy,
I have just started golower this week.
Its a low carb precooked diet (of really suprisingly tasty meals! so far anyway)that arrives monthly. They have a web site to look up, just google Golower. I have afriend thats done it and really motivated me to try and loose my extra 3 stone fairly quickly(hopefully) and whilst eating nice food. Does put you into ketosis thou, bit like atkins in that respect.
Hope you both do really well with your diets. A wedding! How exciting!
Jenny

Hey Jenny well that sounds a great way to try and lose weight and a healthy way- good luck!!!
Yep a wedding, I have just posted my dream wedding dress on the bottom of my signature for inspiration if i can be down to a size 12/14 and that dress suits me thats the one i am just in love with it.
I have my first weigh in tomorrow and i am SO nervous!!!

Good Luck with your weight loss, keep us posted and if u ever want to chat, let me know!

Sammy x

Jenny, I'll be really interested to see how you get on with GoLower.. so far it all seems a bit too easy. All the food I have had so far is delicious..I mean really nice! And I'm full after each meal too, but that's the vegetables I think.
I had the pork in mustard sauce and it was almost restaurant quality! The meat is a bit on the sparse side but you can always add some chicken breast to bolster it up (or so the people o the forum say:eek:).
I have that nagging somethings-missing feeling because of no bread/potatoes etc, but if I actually think about how I feel, I feel full and satisfied.
How are you getting on?

Sammy, you will make your wedding day in that gorgeous dress with plenty of time to spare.. 25kgs is a really achievable goal and you've left yourself enough time to be able to really enjoy the run up to the wedding without having to breathe in constantly! Well done for having the foresight to get stuck in NOW!

Good luck both of you..

Juno ..

Hi hun, just read this thread and wanted to wish you all the best on GoLower.

I completely relate to the yo-yoing and having clothes in all different sizes. I too have recently re-gained a substantial amount of weight, but am struggling to get into the right head space in order to shift it.

You sound extremely positive so I really hope you manage to succeed with the weight loss!

x

Thanks Chelle.

The head space is a huge problem, and finding the spur that makes you take your weight out of the too-hard basket and do something about it is really difficult.
I have found in the past that the spur usually runs up and attacks me :p
In my case it's a fabulous trip to Africa with my husband and 2 sons, and the terrific place we are staying that is an hour in a small boat down a river..
The thought of me climbing in and having the other end of the boat stick out of the water, or (horror of horrors) me falling in and scaring the hippos is the stuff of nightmares and my current focus.
When I think about it, we shouldn't be held back by our size, but physical size is physical size and some things you just have to be average sized to do.

So the great push begins.. and I do feel optimistic because I can see all the other people on here who never thought they could do it, but did.

Thank you so much for your encouraging words.. In the words of a supermarket chain, Every Little Helps! :cool:

Juno ..

Hi Juno,
You sound so motivated and focused, thats great! The holiday sounds fantastic, when is it to be ? I'm sure you will achieve the all your goals and have the bestest time with your family.
There is no reason why you cannot do this.
You are right, i think getting my head in the zone was the most important step for me too in starting this diet. I did not want to feel deprived and with the Golower foods i havent so far anyway (d6 today and coping well). I have previously used slimming world to loose wt ( best wt loss 2 stone 2 years ago- but it was slow and eventually the group leader made me feel a bit of a failure for my slowness and i felt a bit stigmatised and humiliated in the group) I have of course put this all back on + more!
I think i am now in ketosis and it was easier than i anticipated and i definately feel less hungry. So far its wine that i'm missing in the evenings, but determined not to have any alcohol in my 4 week detox as i feel this will be an achievement in inself. First weigh in sunday, and have not cheated at all ( amazing for me) so bring it on..............
When did you start the plan?
Do you like the granola? - i love it!
Would be great to support each other on here!!

G8 to have bumped into you so quickly
Take good care. Jenny. x

Sammy, forgot to say:
Your wedding dress is beautiful!
I still have my size 14 wedding dress ( 16 years on) and would love to fit back into it just for one day. Its a great motivational - your wedding day- so i'm sure ( really sure) you will do this.
Good luck with your diet and plans and keep in touch.
jenny x

Great work on achieving your first week, Jenny :happy036:

The teeny little bags of granola had me very worried when I first unpacked the boxes, but by the time everything is added together it's the right size.. It's all part of re-adjusting what my brain perceives as "the right amount" :sigh:

I lost 5 stone on lipotrim (yyeeccchh).. and put it back on via
having 2 children..
Then I lost 6 stone via Cambridge.. and put it back on.
..so here I am with 7 stone to lose.

It won't happen before April when we go to Africa but I can make a sizable dent in it by then (enough to overcome plane/boat/light aircraft embarrassment!) so we shall see.

My youngest son is an animal nut, so we are trawling about Africa for 2 weeks getting up close and personal with nature.
Staying in tented camps and tree houses (But fabulous.. they even have the plumbing installed in the trees and there is a loo in the branches!!), and Daktari style light aircraft flights into the reserves where we fly low over the herds of majestic wilderbeeste sweeping across the plain! Can't wait!

Meanwhile, please let me know how you get on at your weigh in.. If you are in ketosis then you should have a pretty good result (which is always encouraging) and even if the loss doesn't show in weight, it will in inches.
How fabulous to have the first step already taken! I look at the people I started with who have gone on to finish when I fell by the wayside, and they look fabulous.
So that is going to be us.. Finishers!

Juno ..

i'm on reductil and i've also been counting my cals every day :) so far so good, been on it since sunday and i've lost 6 pounds in total. i've been having 1200-1500 cals a day and i'm not hungry because of the pills but i'm eating very well, loving the weight watchers ham and pineapple pizza thats only 220 cals :)

6 pounds is Fantastic!

Are you still looking about for food or has the reductil taken away the urge to eat as well as the hunger?
It sounds odd to ask that but half the time I eat for reasons other than hunger, and unless I feel sick I still could eat a chocolate cake if you put it in front of me! :D

I am right in the middle of carb craving hell, and i'm just toughing my way through it..
I'm not hungry because there is plenty of food available for me to eat, but the addicts craving for carbs is dreadful!!

Juno ..

I'm a complete newbie :)

Hey guys,
got my prescription today for xenical!!!

so scared in a way.. i work and i have read about the side effects so its got me panicking for work on monday!!!..

can anyone give me any information?

also i know you have to use a low fat diet so i believe?

any more info on that?!

thanks guys i'm panickin a lil!!!

xx

Yeah Carb addictiction is my downfall. I seem to crave bread, pasta, spuds etc and haven't got a "stop" button to press for my head to tell my stomach its full.
Why have some people got this stop button and others haven't?????
Confused. Jenny

hi joined 5 mins ago and have no clue?

Hi everyone.

I just joined site 5 mins ago and have no clue what I should be doing. I have just had a band put in after trying and failing at everything else.... I was hoping to find someone else in my area who has had the same done. I live in Newport, S Wales.

Is there anyone there..? :confused:

Hi there goinggoinggone. Welcome to minimins, i have found it a great place to fine info and support over the last week!
Why not look on the forum for people who have had or are awaiting surgery.
Hope you are recovering well after your op and do really well with your weight loss.
All the very best. Jenny

Hi Juno,
Lost 4.5 lbs on w1 Golower.
Have my TOTM so thinks thats put the blockers on me having my dream HUGH wt loss on week 1, but what the heck, Its a loss and i'm pleased. Really.
How bout u???

Back