Can I eat? and if so how much?

Um- Considering starting Atkins- maybe combining it with CD- not sure yet.

Just wondered if anyone can give me some advice:

Can I eat/use the following and if so how much on the first phase of atkins:

Sweetcorn
Carrots
Swede

Philadelphia

Balsamic Vinegar
BBQ sauce

thanks
xx

I've done the Atkins before and also the Idiot Proof Diet that is bascially Atkins and The South Beach diet combined. You can have full fat Phildelphia nothing low fat but have to still watch portions (so not a full tub of it!). You can have swede again in small portions. You are not allowee any other the others you listed in your post at all.

carrots and sweetcorn are high in carbs i think.. not sure about swede.. best to stick with green veg.. like broccoli.. and cabbage.. etc.. sorry..

x x

Hi there you will find that the beans are a no no too ........ sorry

LOL
Oh would love to have a chip butty right now .. but must not think about it as that's the stuff that put me in this position in the first place!!! :sigh:

I know you CAN,,,but it doesn't sound very healthy does it? A bit ...hmm processed?

Low-Carb Vegetables

This list is roughy arranged from lowest to highest carbohydrate counts, but all are non-starchy and generally low in carbohydrates. Exact carb count depends on serving size. Remember when counting carbs in vegetables that the fiber is not counted, and can be subtracted from the total.
  • Sprouts (bean, alfalfa, etc.)
  • Greens – lettuces, spinach, chard, etc.
  • Hearty Greens - collards, mustard greens, kale, etc.
  • Radicchio and endive count as greens
  • Herbs - parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme, etc.
  • Bok Choy
  • Celery
  • Radishes
  • Sea Vegetables (Nori, etc)
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Cabbage (or sauerkraut)
  • Mushrooms
  • Jicama
  • Avocado
  • Cucumber (or pickles without added sugars)
  • Peppers (all kinds)
  • Summer Squash (including zuchinni)
  • Scallions or green onions
  • Asparagus
  • Bamboo Shoots
  • Leeks
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Snow Peas (pods)
  • Green Beans and Wax Beans
  • Tomatoes
  • Eggplant
  • Artichoke Hearts
  • Fennel
  • Onions
  • Okra
  • Spaghetti Squash
  • Celery Root (Celeriac)
  • Carrots
  • Turnip (see Carb Counts of Root Vegetables)
  • Water Chestnuts
  • Pumpkin
Starchy (High Carb) Vegetables

The main veggies to be avoided when reducing carbohydrates are the starchier vegetables:
  • Beets
  • Carrots (depends on diet)
  • Corn
  • Parsnips
  • Peas
  • Plantains
  • Potatoes in all forms
  • Winter Squashes (particularly acorn and butternut
Source: Low-Carb Vegetables: List of Vegetables to Eat When Cutting Carbs

Protein Foods on a Low Carb Diet

On most of the popular low carb diets, most meats and related protein foods are acceptable. These are some exceptions:
  • Be careful to avoid breaded meats (including “breaded from within” dishes like meatloaf) and meats served with high carb sauces.
  • Atkins points out that mussels and oysters have carbs, so be sure to count them.
  • Some organ meats contain carbohydrates. Atkins recommends limiting organ meats to 4 oz. per day. One ounce of raw beef liver has about 1 gram of carbohydrate - one ounce cooked has 1.4 grams.
  • Be aware that hams and luncheon meats often have added sugars - check the labels or have the deli worker do it.
  • Limit consumptions of processed meats, especially with nitrites (hot dogs, bacon, etc).
  • On diets which limit saturated fat (e.g.
Source: Low Carb Meat List and Other Proteins: What To Eat and What to Avoid

Atkins for Life by Robert C. Atkins is a very good book that explains very well how to do this diet.

Back