Can I freeze cooked rice?

minxie

One day at a time!
Has anyone done this? Want to cook a large quantity and freeze in portions if possible so that it's ready in a hurry.

Happy New Year to you all!

I think you're not supposed to (but I'm not sure why) but I do and haven't had any problems.

Gail x

I do, but you have to make sure its PIPING hot when you reheat it.

You can always buy frozen rice from Morrisons and things if you aren't confident about freezing your own.

Yes you can but make sure it is reheated very well. Stirred well and heated some more.

I freeze rice portions all the time. You can eat it cold too but make sure it is fully defrosted and still cold, not lukewarm.

Thanks everyone, that will make my packed lunches a lot easier now:)

you do need to be careful with precooked rice, as it can make you very ill, it is all to do with how quickly it gets cooled down before you refridgerate or freeze it. If it is sat warm for a while, it can produce some really harmful bacteria and even reheating it thoroughly won't make any difference.

the below is copied from the Food Standards Agency - Eat well, be well - eatwell website:

I've heard that reheating rice can cause food poisoning. Is this true?

It's true that you could get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. But it's not actually the reheating that's the problem – it's the way the rice has been stored before reheating.

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will germinate into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these toxins.

So, the longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria, or the toxins they produce, could stop the rice being safe to eat.

It's best to serve rice when it has just been cooked. If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) and keep it in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating.

Remember that when you reheat any food, you should always check that it's steaming hot all the way through, and avoid reheating more than once.

Back