Can someone please look at this and tell me if im starting to become obsessive

charliebecca

Ive been having a rather appauling loss since i started so ive taken advice from other people on here and started to calorie count roughly to make sure im not eatting too many free foods.But now that ive started ive noticed im not hitting 1200 kcals a day, that what u need atleast to prevent your body from slowing down the metabolism. So its half 9 at night, and i need atleast 400 kcals. but used most of my syns do u think i should eat something just high in fat like a piece of chocolate, because if i dont think i can handle a jacket potato!

Im finding that calorie counting is helping with my portion sizes also but can anyone tell me if this is ok or if im becoming a bit obsessive with this diet. I know i dont have lots to lose but i dont belive i can do it solely with SW ethos

To my mind, you should either do SW, or do calorie counting. The fact that you think you're under by at least 400 cals yet almost used your syns proves that you can't do both together, as then you're not doing SW properly. At the moment, I'm not worried about calorie consumption, cos SW seems to be working for me and I'm following it properly. If you think it's not working, then give it up and solely count calories - but can you do this forever??

calorie counting and sw are completly different diets and i would personally never encourage anyone to follow both, its near enough impossible anyways, different foods, different diets. If you find calorie counting is working better for you, then you should concider saving your money and doing that.. yes you have 400kcals, but i highly doubt you'l loose on sw if you'r finding yourself eating high fat things to up your cal intake.

honestly hun, one or the other. x

Perhaps today is just a light day?

During this week I have had days ranging from 700 cals to 2000 cals. (These are guestimates from looking at my food diary.)

If your hungry eat, if your not hungry don't. Simples.

It could be that your weight loss is slow because you are not eating enough and if what you have just mentioned is a daily occurence re your calorie intake, it does look like that may be your problem. In which case going on to then calorie count, could be a very bad move. I would say totally forgot about calorie counting for now and stick to the SW plan.

Are you using all your healthy extras?

It sounds like WW may suit you better if you're worried about the calories you're taking in on SW- maybe you'll feel more in control counting points!x

I have to agree with the others Hun. You should never mix calorie counting and the SW plan, it just doesnt work.
If you think that SW isnt working, then I would suggest you give WW a try.

You will just confuse yourself counting calories and following SW, as well as making it very difficult too.

Maybe SW is not the diet for you, check out the other diet forums on Minimins and see if you can find a diet that suits you better for you and your needs.

Sorry to join this thread late. You say that your losses are appalling but you've lost 7lb in just over a month. For someone with not very much to lose that's actually a reasonable loss. I don't need to tell you that the experts says 1 to 2lbs a week is what you should aim for.

If you have concerns about what you are eating, do you have a food diary here that we can give you advice on ?

And I agree with the others, you need to stop focussing on calories. There is definitely a place of suggesting people should really think about what they are eating, quality, quantity, and whether they are eating because they are really hungry or just because a food is free. But you can do this without counting every calorie you put in your mouth.

i agree with Circles that you weight loss is still really good, i too am a slow looser but as long as the weight is coming off its all steps in the right direction.you will get there in the end, if i were you i would abandon calories and trust sw.xx

I also noticed that this has been coming up a lot on here and so guestimating amounts i put the previous days diary into myfitnesspal out of curiosity and i was under what they considered 'my limit to lose' but 150 cals.

I think the point being made in the other threads was that some ppl felt that their losses had slowed as they were eating to much free food and not enough super free.

Brilliant advice above, i think as long as you are sticking to SW you should not be calorie counting. I also think that 7lbs in a month is a very good loss!! I lose on average 1lb and week, so this is a big loss!!

xx

I agree about seven pounds actually being a really good loss.

Scales lie. They don't mean to. It's not personal. :)

But they can't tell the difference between your lean muscle mass, fat, bone and water. So they can't tell that you've actually lost fat, but for whatever reason, you're retaining a little more water than usual.

You may well have lost a pound of fat. But if you've retained two extra pounds worth of water, the scales will tell you you've gained weight. But what they can't tell you (unless they're those really really expensive ones that can do quadratic equations and calculus) is whether you've lost fat.

That's where trusting in the plan helps. If you're following SW to the letter, it's more than likely you'll start losing fat. It may not look that way, but you almost certainly are. The only way to be able to tell is to average your weight losses over several weeks - and also judge by how well your clothes are fitting.

We can make losing weight into such a race, can't we? But we didn't put the weight on in a matter of weeks - so why should we expect to lose it as quickly? Be patient with yourself - and your body - and the plan!

Back