Can someone tell me about psyhillium husks please?

I too had no idea, but wikipedia helped me understand them a bit better:
The characteristics of psyllium seed husks make them useful for any treatment that requires improvement or maintenance of transit time in the gastrointestinal tract, since the inert bulk of the husks helps provide a constant volume of solid material irrespective of other aspects of the diet or any disease condition of the gut. Over-the-counter laxatives and fiber supplements such as Metamucil, Serutan, Effersyllium, and Isabgol have psyllium husks as their main ingredient, in finely chopped or powdered form. The husks can be consumed as-is (with plenty of water or other fluid) with much the same effect. Psyllium can also be added to food or drink to boost the fiber content of the diet, and some cereals (Bran Buds, Heartwise) contain it.
Psyllium husks are used to relieve constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, diverticular disease, and diarrhea. They are used as a regular dietary supplement to improve and maintain regular GI transit. Some recent research is also showing them to be promising in lowering cholesterol and controlling diabetes.

Looks like they sell it in health stores:

h04345.gif

But not sure how much they are.

I don't think they affect your Ketosis, hence why alot of people tend to use them when on LL.

I bought the husks in H&B for about £11.99 (I think). I suffer really badly from constipation, and was looking for a healthier way out. Having said that, I really cannot take to them. I have tried mixing in with my sweet packs to make a custard, or a muffin, drinking alone and other things. I just dont like the feeling or texture and wont use the remaining pack.

Others have had success with them tho, I suppose its a personal thing.

Have you ever tried Ann's savory pancake? its the only thing I can do!! everything else turns out like pond gloop!

Hope Ann doesn't mind, here's her recipe.

Mix a soup pack (not tomato) with 200mls of cold water.
Once this is blended add 3 teaspoons of husks and blend again.
Pour mixture onto a plate lined with baking paper and leave for 10 mins to thicken.
Blast in microwave for 8-10 mins and serve!!

Ok...not the best for the nutrients - left for 20 mins before eating and blasted in the micro but I suppose its better than constipation!!

:)

Hi heaven can wait

I mix 3 teaspoons of husks in my crisps everyday and it keeps you kind of regular. Other than that I just found it disgusting to take in any other form. It looks like something left at the bottom of a bird cage he he
Doesnot affect your diet though and better than taking laxatives, they are very healthy apparantly and my friend was given them when she did a detox from the chinese herb man

Good luck on your weight loss !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

I mix them with some water and the lemon podr stuff and then just drink it straight down.Seems ok and does do the trick

Sam
x

I've taken Psyllium Husks since week 3. I don't mind them too much - I let my shake sit for 5-10 minutes and the husks thicken them and I've always liked thick shakes. They can be abit bitty but at least they have no flavour - to be honest the constipation I suffered in week 2 was the worst experience yet - I was on the loo for a whole hour in alot of pain - I never, ever want to go through that again!! And so far the PH's have worked a treat.

Back