Can stress cause "fake hunger"?

carla

I am 5 weeks into LL and apart from the first few days have honestly not felt hungry. On saturday, my 7 month old daughter became sick and is really not a well bunny. Took her to the doc tonight and if she doesn't improve tonight has to go into hospital to be put on a drip for dehydration. :cry:

All day today I have been feeling really hungry - there is a plate of left over roast lamb in the fridge and it is calling my name. I can honestly feel my tummy rumbling and am so tempted (not going to do it though - have crawled into bed with the laptop to avoid messing up). Could it be the worry about my baby that has me feeling hungry? It is such a real feeling, and I really want to eat!!!! :(

Hi, I'm really sorry to hear your baby's not well - that must be really stressful and I hope she gets better soon.
Yes, I do think stress can cause emotional hunger. Your body tries to convince you that you'll feel better if you eat. The truth is you won't. But it's a tricky time for you. Try to hang on with LL and focus your energy on you and your daughter. Hoping you get good news soon.
x

Hi Carla
Well the experts say that stress is one of the major triggers in the world of eating. I had my own first real stressful situation to deal with since I started LL a few weeks ago which resulted in 6 whole looooong days of feeling physically starving. Pre LL I would definitely have eaten my way through it. So please feel reassured that you are not alone on this one!
And being in abstinence can really amplify the feeling because you're feeling so many mixed emotions anyway on this journey.
Take it as a fantastic signal that finally you can recognise that stress may previously have been a big trigger for you. You now have this insight and can act on it, where previously you may not have even given it a second thought. So taking that thinking into account, this means this feeling is actually a helpful one rather than a harmful one!! :D

I think you've done the best thing by removing yourself from the temptation - which is a brilliant intervention - and really giving some thought to how you're feeling.

Whilst many of us start the journey fixating on purely becoming a size 10 it can be quite unnerving when the 'real' issues rear their head! But this is great. I'm sure many of the fantastic Mini's would agree, this really is much more helpful for long term understanding of our eating issues and collecting tools and skills to change thoughts, emotions and ultimately actions around food.

Really hope your little one gets well soon
:grouphugg:

Carla I'm rally sorry to hear about your little one being ill - no wonder you're stressed .... I really hope she is feeling better soon.

Cath

I believe that stress can cause you to think you are hungry. When I would get upset the first place I would head was the kitchen to eat.

When it happens now I just do the Paul Mckenna trick and imagine maggots on it so it puts me off and grab a peppermint, earl grey tea, or some water.

I hope your baby gets better soon.

I am 5 weeks into LL and apart from the first few days have honestly not felt hungry. On saturday, my 7 month old daughter became sick and is really not a well bunny. Took her to the doc tonight and if she doesn't improve tonight has to go into hospital to be put on a drip for dehydration. :cry:

All day today I have been feeling really hungry - there is a plate of left over roast lamb in the fridge and it is calling my name. I can honestly feel my tummy rumbling and am so tempted (not going to do it though - have crawled into bed with the laptop to avoid messing up). Could it be the worry about my baby that has me feeling hungry? It is such a real feeling, and I really want to eat!!!! :(

Hi Carla,

Very sorry to hear your baby is not well and of course stress triggers hunger especially if your an emotional eater.

Also, I find when stressed I tend to forget to drink water and when I don't drink enough water I get tummy rumbles.

Sending hugs and prayers that your baby will be okay.

fetch.dll

Love Mini xxx

hope you babygets better with out having to go to hospital.
as far as diet concrned,if you can & now you've identified an eating trigger, try & keep away from the fridge,up your water intake & distract yourself from thoughts of food.
you'll be so much stronger & prouder of yourself once she's recovered & you've kept it up.
remember eating the roast lamb won't help you look after her nor speed her recovery.
sleep well.
please tellus how your littleone gets on tomorrow

Hiya
def agree with everyone that stress can trigger emotional hunger...

Well done for not giving in :D

really hope your little one has a speedy recovery

Back