Can we get too focussed on the numbers on the scales?

Hi Leapfrog - a very interesting post and one I can identify with. We have very similar stats (height, start weight, goal weight etc) and I was interested to read you are heavier now but wear a smaller size than when you were younger. The same has happened to me - I'm in a size 10 skinny jeans but weigh 9st 5 - at this weight I used to be a size 14! Most odd.

As to your dilemma, i can identify with this too. I'm carrying a few pounds extra round my middle and didn't want to call target until I shifted it. The only problem was it was coming off my legs and arms (already v slim) instead and I soon realised if I kept on losing until i was completely free of a bit of extra flab, my arms and legs would end up like twigs and I would just look too frail. My point is that it's not possible to spot reduce fat and you might find you lose more weight from your waist rather than from your hips.

If you're fitting into a size 8 equivalent I would definitely say it's time to call target as you don't want to be limited on your clothes choices. Also you want a weight that is easily maintainable so you find it plain sailing to keep to that weight. Much better than a constant struggle with every extra pound.

Good luck hun and let us know what you decide!

That's really interesting Krupskaya, especially the weight vs size thing - and I know it's not that clothes sizes have got bigger, as I have clothes that I had kept from my previous slim days which I gave away quite a while ago as they were far too big. I also agree that, much as we'd like to, we can't "spot reduce" fat. Past experience has shown me, though, that my weight does tend to redistribute itself around my body from time to time, so I'll just wait and see.

I think everyone is right and I should stop now as I will only be creating problems finding clothes for myself if I go on any longer. Having said that, and just as I'm beginning to resign myself to this, WI this morning showed a loss of 1 lb :D

Hi everyone,

Started today!

Am another one that is obsessed by the scales.

Hopefully Slimming World will work for me, have tried every other diet known to man!

Tasha x

This is always a great point of debate. If you're anything like me, you will have people telling you not to lose any more:eek:

They don't know how "in the zone" you might be.

I am still not happy. My first target was 11st 4lb, I reduced in to 10st 12lb - now I want mid-BMI range of around 22.5 so I have lowered my target to 10st 5lb.

I set myself targets as it works better for me to have something to aim at. I got so close to target before relaxing over Christmas.

Ultimately, you can go off a personal target (mine is 10st 5lb so I will have lost exactly 100lb) or a BMI figure, or just a clothes size or body weight - in fact anything you want SO LONG AS YOU'RE HAPPY.

Just be prepared for other people telling you you look too thin;)

Steve

Back