Can you drink to much water??

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by lilscottishlady, 1 May 2007 Social URL.

1. lilscottishlady

lilscottishlady Full Member

Start Weight:
    19st10lb
    Current Weight:
    17st1.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st8.5lb(13.22%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Just a thought, as I thought I wouldn't manage the 8 pints but I am on pint 7 already??? didn't even notice!!!

:cool: Jodie x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. katie_oxo

katie_oxo Silver Member

Yes to be honest you can ... and I don't want to scare you but it can kill you. I don't know how much is deemed not safe, I know people on here drink 6 litres on a regular occurence.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon..... but in the meantime if you do a search on the main page you may find out some relevant info.

Cath

4. Bluepaws

Bluepaws Full Member

Diet:
    Cambridge diet
    I've heard it can flush out all the essential vits and minerals... and thats very bad!

I'm no expert either so hopefully someone can back this up.

5. Coley

Coley Re-starter

Start Weight:
    13st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(16.75%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    ok...yup. You can drink too much. Thing is, there isn't a hard and fast rule about it.

The main 2 problems with 2 much water are:

1. Drinking too fast - this can lead to the electrolytes in your body becoming washed out of the body and this can make you very ill.

2. Not going to the loo!! Don't hold it in for masses of time!!

I'd advise my peeps 4litres if you're a lady and 6 if your a chap. I on occassion do 5 litres but never more than that.

I do think it is only if you start getting excessive.

I've tried to find info, but the best I've come across is there stuff here: Water intoxication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

xx

6. Just Do It

Just Do It Full Member

Current Weight:
    13st3.0lb
    Hi, our LLC told us no more than 10 litres. Not that I'm going to try..

7. Vorlina

Vorlina Full Member

Diet:
    Slimfast
    I find if I drink more than 6 litres in a day then I start getting woozy.

8. cheerydino

cheerydino Full Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    I drink up to 5 litres some days. I am tall so I think 5 litres is good enough for me.

9. SandraEG

SandraEG Full Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Yes but as long as you're going to the loo and not drinking it all at once, you should be fine.

In fact, too much water is what killed the 22 year old man who collapsed and died after doing the London Marathon.

10. Janey

Janey Intuitive Eater

Diet:
    intuitive eating
    Yes, it's true about the marathon runner who died last week.

I once heard about a famous actor who drank too much water at home one evening and was rushed to hospital seriously ill - that was the first time I had ever heard of water poisoning.

11. In search of me

In search of me Silver Member

Diet:
    Cambridge
    Yes you definately can drink too much & I cannot believe that a LC woule recc 10 litres as that is WAY too much! - possibly pints? I rang LL last week & told hem I wuld have a max of 5.5 litres a day and they confirmed that this was pleanty, even with excercise. I also saw a doctor on Sunday who did my colonic & he was quite concerened about drinking even that amount.
    My cousin was in a coma after doing a treck and drinking too much water too quickly. Bascially you drink too much and your body cant process it so your lungs get flooded. She thankfully was ok eventually but it was a long hard few months while she was on life support...not trying to alarm you but you really do need to be careful!
    I tend to drink between 5 & 5.5 a day and sip slowly throughout the day...Hope that helps!

12. fatpossum

fatpossum Silver Member

Scary!!

:eek: When I grumbled to the LLC about the fact that I wasn't losing as much as I would like, she recommended that I up my water intake! I already drink about 5 or 6 litres a day!!

She also told one woman that you can't drink too much and about one woman who drinks more than 12 litres in a day - not good.

I am going to start to measure my intake more carefully from now on.

Worried Fatpossum

13. cheerydino

cheerydino Full Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Were you talking about Anthony Andrews?

14. kittykat

kittykat Gold Member

Start Weight:
    29st0lb
    Diet:
    exante
    I drink about 5 litres a day

15. jazz

jazz naughty night nurse

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    16st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2lb(0.87%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    take it from a nurse, 6 litres is scary , 8 obscene and quite frankly 10 just stupid. electrolyte are the engine oil of the body, controlling heart rythum,brain function etc. if they get washed out you are in serious trouble , i dont know what the proper amount is for each person but please be careful. i drink 4 litres a day,five if exercising and i feel that is adaquate,if i drink more i get "drunk " and dizzy

16. jazz

jazz naughty night nurse

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    16st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2lb(0.87%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    while on subject, that what kills ecstasy users,they over drink because drug messes with brain and they drown in fluid

17. Pixie

Pixie Silver Member

Agreed!
    I mentioned this a few weeks back Jazz, all the serious O/D's I've seen are down to water...

18. jazz

jazz naughty night nurse

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    16st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2lb(0.87%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    read back my message,it a bit strong !!
    i just get annoyed that no matter what weight loss we achieve there always is that small part of us that thinks magic tricks and odd behaviour will suddenly make us slim . i include my self in this ,ive done cabbage soup,grapefruit etc .we are on a medically proven plan , lets go with it

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.