Can you drink to much water??

lilscottishlady

Just a thought, as I thought I wouldn't manage the 8 pints but I am on pint 7 already??? didn't even notice!!!

:cool: Jodie x

Yes to be honest you can ... and I don't want to scare you but it can kill you. I don't know how much is deemed not safe, I know people on here drink 6 litres on a regular occurence.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon..... but in the meantime if you do a search on the main page you may find out some relevant info.

Cath

I've heard it can flush out all the essential vits and minerals... and thats very bad!

I'm no expert either so hopefully someone can back this up.

ok...yup. You can drink too much. Thing is, there isn't a hard and fast rule about it.

The main 2 problems with 2 much water are:

1. Drinking too fast - this can lead to the electrolytes in your body becoming washed out of the body and this can make you very ill.

2. Not going to the loo!! Don't hold it in for masses of time!!

I'd advise my peeps 4litres if you're a lady and 6 if your a chap. I on occassion do 5 litres but never more than that.

I do think it is only if you start getting excessive.

I've tried to find info, but the best I've come across is there stuff here: Water intoxication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

xx

I find if I drink more than 6 litres in a day then I start getting woozy.

I drink up to 5 litres some days. I am tall so I think 5 litres is good enough for me.

Yes, it's true about the marathon runner who died last week.

I once heard about a famous actor who drank too much water at home one evening and was rushed to hospital seriously ill - that was the first time I had ever heard of water poisoning.

Yes you definately can drink too much & I cannot believe that a LC woule recc 10 litres as that is WAY too much! - possibly pints? I rang LL last week & told hem I wuld have a max of 5.5 litres a day and they confirmed that this was pleanty, even with excercise. I also saw a doctor on Sunday who did my colonic & he was quite concerened about drinking even that amount.
My cousin was in a coma after doing a treck and drinking too much water too quickly. Bascially you drink too much and your body cant process it so your lungs get flooded. She thankfully was ok eventually but it was a long hard few months while she was on life support...not trying to alarm you but you really do need to be careful!
I tend to drink between 5 & 5.5 a day and sip slowly throughout the day...Hope that helps!

Scary!!

:eek: When I grumbled to the LLC about the fact that I wasn't losing as much as I would like, she recommended that I up my water intake! I already drink about 5 or 6 litres a day!!

She also told one woman that you can't drink too much and about one woman who drinks more than 12 litres in a day - not good.

I am going to start to measure my intake more carefully from now on.

Worried Fatpossum

Yes, it's true about the marathon runner who died last week.

I once heard about a famous actor who drank too much water at home one evening and was rushed to hospital seriously ill - that was the first time I had ever heard of water poisoning.

Were you talking about Anthony Andrews?

I drink about 5 litres a day

take it from a nurse, 6 litres is scary , 8 obscene and quite frankly 10 just stupid. electrolyte are the engine oil of the body, controlling heart rythum,brain function etc. if they get washed out you are in serious trouble , i dont know what the proper amount is for each person but please be careful. i drink 4 litres a day,five if exercising and i feel that is adaquate,if i drink more i get "drunk " and dizzy

while on subject, that what kills ecstasy users,they over drink because drug messes with brain and they drown in fluid

Agreed!
I mentioned this a few weeks back Jazz, all the serious O/D's I've seen are down to water...

read back my message,it a bit strong !!
i just get annoyed that no matter what weight loss we achieve there always is that small part of us that thinks magic tricks and odd behaviour will suddenly make us slim . i include my self in this ,ive done cabbage soup,grapefruit etc .we are on a medically proven plan , lets go with it

Back