Can't cook so won't cook!

Jesca

Is it just me that relies almost entirely on SW recipes that require you to fling a few things in the oven/microwave/steamer?

I find the more complicated recipes (i.e. any that require effort or a saucepan) don't taste as nice when they're done, possibly because I hate cooking and don't take the time to get things right! I can't be a**ed cooking pasta unless it's in a bake and I can pre-cook it in the steamer, I literally spend as little time in the kitchen as possible - is anyone else the same?

I am definitely the same. Every once in a while I try out something with a more lengthy process, more steps, more rules to follow, and often it doesn't turn out how I wanted it to, and I haven't got the patience to do it again, or to risk trying something else new and screwing it up.

The most baking I do is buying a whole wheat pizza crust (already made), throwing my healthy toppings on it and sticking it in the oven for 9 min! :p

I also boil whole wheat pasta and mix in some light sauce with it, and I steam veggies in the microwave. I can make grilled cheese too, but that's not so good for me! :eek:

I am not on a specific diet, just trying to eliminate sugars/starches/fats, but I know how you feel! :p

Me too, that's why i eat the same thing every day mostly.
Roast dinner.
Peel the taters and bung them in the steamer for 10 mins while the oven is pre-heating with the chicken breast in foil in it.
While that's doing I chop up the rest of the veg into the steamers second tier.
When the 10 mins is up, bung the taters on a foil lined tray (no washing up then :) ) and whack in the oven for 30 mins. Stick the rest of the veg on the steamer for the same time and retire to the sofa to watch some telly. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Most definately NOT me! I love to cook and would say that its that love of cooking - and eating! - that got me to this size! Baking in particular! So now trying to use those skills to cook SW style instead!

Most definately NOT me! I love to cook and would say that its that love of cooking - and eating! - that got me to this size! Baking in particular! So now trying to use those skills to cook SW style instead!

MEEEEEEEEE Too

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to cook -I have just stopped baking cakes n pastries -and only bake bready products for hubby;)

I think its why I love SW so much -because I can let loose in the kitchen without having to weigh n measure every last thing ;)

If I don't cook at least once a day there is something wrong -although I appretiate that I have more time to do it than most :eek:
I still have some fairly quick "whack it together recipes" mind-hubbies fave being my "easy cheesy veg pasta concoction"

Before I had my kiddies, I could not cook to save my life :D
Now I absolutely love cooking and love experimenting with herbs and spices, I have started to grow my own veg and herbs - absolutely fantastic. However, I do see the point of some people not wanting to spend time in front of a cocker, but I strongly believe the quality and taste of what you eat improves a lot when you make it yourself.
Jill xx

Cooking from scratch doesn't have to take loads of time or effort. You can use frozen veg if you want so no need to cut up that if its hassle for you, then most recipes involve chucking everything in a saucepan with herbs/spices/ tinned toms/ stock, and simmering for 20 mins. At most you're looking at 2 saucepans to wash up!! I knock up most meals during the week in 30 mins from scratch (including cutting up veg) 45 mins max & manage to make my brekkie & lunch for the next day whilst things are simmering away.

Coljack - do you really eat the same thing every day? That would drive me mental!!

i cook everything from scratch every day i save the long stuff eg roast till weekends lol

I am with you 100%. I too am an avid cook. Nothing nicer for me spending time cooking . Perhaps eating it comes first lol !!!

Before I had my kiddies, I could not cook to save my life :D
Now I absolutely love cooking and love experimenting with herbs and spices, I have started to grow my own veg and herbs - absolutely fantastic. However, I do see the point of some people not wanting to spend time in front of a cocker, but I strongly believe the quality and taste of what you eat improves a lot when you make it yourself.
Jill xx

Oh so right................... you can not buy or emulate the taste of home made food which is made with the extra ingredient called love.

I am passionate about cooking even the simplest thing and presentation is of great importance to me as well.

Having said that, after 2 days at my antique unit, long days that start at 5 in the morning and are non stop go-go ( thanks to the god of work ) We are more than happy to have a spit roast chicken bought from the restaurant at the center with baked potato and salad.

What a great thing it is that we are so different. Wouldn't life be dull if we were not.

I cook everything from scratch always have done, only tins I buy is toms and beans a few jars jam/pickles the rest is all cooked from scratch, I even do baking so my fella has fresh cakes (Often Welshcakes:)) I use my slow cooker/oven and steamer daily I work 54 hours a week but even after 12 hr day I will have something tasty from the slow cooker that I prepared before starting work at 6am :) On my days off I can be pottering about in the kitchen for hours, I love chopping and slicing/dicing :D

Mostly.
I have something resembling bolognaise on occasion and the odd grab and graze day ( where I have something like a pack of seafood sticks and a bag of fruit cocktail etc ).

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

if i am having a lazy day, i will spend 5 minutes chopping peppers, onion and mushrooms, 2 mins to fry light them, add a tin of chopped tomatoes and curry powder, ginger and garlic, put the lid on the pan and leave it to simmer for a while. 10 minutes effort for a lovely veggie curry. another 1 is jacket spud with pre prepped stir fry(3 for 2.50 tesco) and cottage cheese, 5 minutes. however when my hubby is here i will take the time to make lovely homecooked meals because i believe it has helped me to appreciate food a lot more than i ever did before. i see it as food is an essential part of our lives so i make sure i take the time to make it something good.
of course everyones different :)

I have some meals i cook over and over - and some take ages to make, others take hardly any time (stir fry!) but since i joined SW i have had some mega cooking mess ups!!!

I think the more practise, the better - and i think my cooking is better for it.

x

Ellebear said:
I have some meals i cook over and over - and some take ages to make, others take hardly any time (stir fry!) but since i joined SW i have had some mega cooking mess ups!!!

I think the more practise, the better - and i think my cooking is better for it.

x

He he! Whenever i make a new recipe my OH always has the Kebab shop on standby :). Had a complete disaster with a coq au vin the other week. The gammon loaf was also horrible!

I love cooking, I would be so bored eating the same thing every day. I could cook before joining SW (although it was mostly cakes and high fat dinners lol) but I think the SW magazine is brilliant for really simple, easy to follow recipes.

There's a lady in my group who insists she can't cook and so only eats things like pasta & sauce, super noodles etc. Unsurprisingly she's now extremely bored of the plan and complains every week at group that the reason she's not losing is because she's bored of what she's eating and keeps 'cheating'.

My diet is extremely varied and I probably don't even have the same meal twice in the period of one month (unless it's really yummy!) x

I'm with cherry pie on this one!

The longer spent preparing and cooking the better it tastes. I even pan boil potatoes now rather than steamer or pressure cooker - the 20 minues that takes allows me to do other stuff in the kitchen.

Preparation is the key ;-)

To me it is all part of the lifestyle change. I'd probably be sat on here or watching telly otherwise:(

I like to cook but need my OH with me if it is something new as I get confuddled with instructions due to the nature of my disability. SOme days I can not be arsed though and my oH cooks and I was up but other days I love it and it does feel good when you try a recipe and get it right. Although I have had a few fair cock ups but I think cooking is all about trial and error and the more you cook I think you get better at it. I definately feel more confident in using herbs and spices and I even grown my own herbs and last night found my first ever red chilli (in my chiili plant)

I like to cook but need my OH with me if it is something new as I get confuddled with instructions due to the nature of my disability. SOme days I can not be arsed though and my oH cooks and I was up but other days I love it and it does feel good when you try a recipe and get it right. Although I have had a few fair cock ups but I think cooking is all about trial and error and the more you cook I think you get better at it. I definately feel more confident in using herbs and spices and I even grown my own herbs and last night found my first ever red chilli (in my chiili plant)

Even better, now you can cook what you grow!! Its a fab feeling, even just your own pot of herbs on the windowsill is such a feeling of achievement!

(Everyday I'm willing my strawberries to turn red - come on sun, come back, I neeeeeeeed you!!!)

Back