Can't Eat Quorn....Alternatives?

Stefanie

Silver Member
Hi there, I have a few allergies, one of them being pulses, lentils,chickpeas, peas etc and quorn seems to always have pea protein in it (and as I discovered lots of super noodles flavours too).

I just wondered if there were any alternatives to quorn?

Cheers :)

No not a vegetarian and I love meat....:) it was just that I hear so much about it being lower in calories and better for you and if I was to do a green week, I would struggle without meat. I know it makes sense to not do a green week then lol, but I want to be able to mix it up :)

I can't have quorn because it's stupidly not vegan. I have Fry's traditional sausages, soy mince and realeat chicken style pieces that are syn free. Frozen soy mince needs to be synned but the dry stuff is free. This can all be found in holland and barretts or independent health food shops.

There's tons of other fake meats there too but I don't know syn values.

Thanks for the info...I am new to this so just trying to get my head around what I can and can't eat....meat is a HEX?? Oh my I really need to read some more!! :) The alternative meats are very interesting and definitely something I want to try as, as much as I like meat...I like to try to limit my red meat intake.

If you're new to SW I personally would recomend to stick with EE for a few weeks before you start mixing it up. Meat with pasta or rice or potatoes yes please!!!

I don't particularly like quorn that much so if I do a green day I just try and go meat free. I have things like potato curry or pasta bake, a big bowl of vegetable soup with some bread! Jacket potato, beans and cheese... I thought it would be hard to not eat meat with a meal but it's really not much difference at all :) Other than that, I can only recommend tofu.

Emily

I feel I miss out on quorn too - it's a dieters dream really - I get violently sick if I eat anything with quorn in it or maybe it's whats in quorn that makes me violently sick?

Thanks for the meal ideas Emily, very useful to start if I do green in the next couple of weeks :)

I have actually heard it can make you sick and lots of people are intolerant to it....I guess I am not missing out really :)

Oh tofu....what is it like and is it tasty? I could set a challenge to try something new next week and make it tofu! :)

Oh tofu....what is it like and is it tasty? I could set a challenge to try something new next week and make it tofu! :)

Tofu is ace!

It's super cheap at Chinese Supermarkets but you can also get it at all supermarkets now, Morrisons is doing blocks for 1.49 instead of 1.99 at the moment. You'll want to try firm tofu, which is the stuff Cauldron do in blocks by the refrigerated quorn stuff. They also do marinated tofu slices which are tasty but a few syns for the marinade. That might be worth trying first though if you have syns to spare.

Avoid silken tofu if you want to replicate 'meat', it's pretty soft and gooey and is best for replacing eggs in baking, making mayo, cream or puddings etc.

Tofu is actually pretty flavourless raw and on its own. But this is probably its best quality because it absorbs all of the flavour from whatever it's cooking with. If you don't prepare it very well it can taste pretty awful though.

What you want to do is drain the tofu for an hour or so before using it. Wrap it up in kitchen towel and put a few plates on top and leave it. All the water will drain out of it that way. There are tons of things you can do with tofu, before putting it in curries, stir frys or baking it I like to marinade it first. A simple marinade is soy sauce, ginger, garlic and herbs. Marinading it overnight is awesome but an hour or so will do. If you want a chewy texture then try freezing the tofu and defrosting it before use. It goes nice and chewy if it's been frozen.

When I can't be bothered to drain it for long or to marinade it I generally make scrambled tofu. It's a bit like scrambled egg but I add spices and loads of veggies to it. It's delicious. If you'd like a recipe then send me a PM and I'll give you my favourite one.

Hope this helps. I have lots of tofu recipes so if you're unsure of how to use it then feel free to ask.

Thanks Allie for the meat info, it's good to know exactly how much I can have :)

Wow, tofu sounds good when you put it like that, I would definitely like your favourite recipe as I'm doing my shop on Saturday and can pick up the ingredients then, thanks! x

i had 3 packs of that tofu in my fridge and never got round to using it before it went off as when i had tried it i couldnt get it to be edible!
it just tastes like stronger soy milk (shocking haha) but that gives you some referance if you have tried that.

Here you go, Tofu Scramble:

Fry Light
1 onion, finely chopped
2 handfuls of mushrooms, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pack of tofu, drained and crumbled (I squeeze the water out into the sink and then crumble it up)
4 tbsp nutritional yeast (can be found in health food shops, it gives this a nutty cheesy taste) - this will be a few syns or so, but not many.
Juice of 1 lemon
1 carrot, grated

Spices:
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt

1. Saute the onions for a few minutes until soft, add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
2. Add the spice blend and mix it up for 10-15 seconds. Splash a bit of water into the pan to deglaze it, scrape the bottom to get all the garlic and spices into the mix.
3. Add the crumbled tofu and mix. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring every now and then. Add water if it sticks.
4. Add the nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Fold in the grated carrot and serve!

I've done tofu scramble without the nutritional yeast so you don't have to get any. Then it would be freeeeee :D

i had 3 packs of that tofu in my fridge and never got round to using it before it went off as when i had tried it i couldnt get it to be edible!
it just tastes like stronger soy milk (shocking haha) but that gives you some referance if you have tried that.

Ah, a reason why tofu needs to come with an instruction manual on how to use it! I've never found it tastes like soy milk, I hate soy milk and probably wouldn't have touched the stuff again if it had!

Fantastic, actually sounds yummy! I am going to try this at the weekend and will let you know how it turns out...I will give my honest opinion, even if I hate it lol, which I'm sure I won't as it has lots of nice flavours with it x :)

Back