Car boot sales

big bear

A bear on a mission!
Has anyone done one? I've got 6 laundry bags full of kids clothes. All in good condition some things only worn once especially the smaller sizes.

I would like a guide on how much to charge.

I've got loads of boys t-shirts 3-4yr old from next, the same from Asda, Tesco...what price would you charge? Also jeans from the same places.

I've also got girls 6-12 mth vests, baby gros, t-shirts etc

I'm in London if that makes a difference.

I've got so much sorting to do & it would be a shame to throw so thought I'd make a few pounds, pay for some sw classes!

Were you successful at a car boot? Any tips/advice please x

They can be very hit and miss. Ages ago, when people had spare cash, they were great because people would just buy something they liked the look of. Nowadays you are more likely to find that people are a lot more careful with their cash, will haggle you down as far as they think they can push it, and only buy things that they really want. My advice would be to find a popular local one, take a friend with you, both to cover the stall when you need the loo, and to help you fend off the traders who rush your stall looking to snaffle your best bits to sell on before you have even unpacked the car, and to make sure you take a flask and butties and whatever you do, don't go off for a look around yourself or you'll end up spending more than you make.

People want something for next to nothing, so you will need to be firm with yourself. If there is stuff you won't let go for less than a certain price, then stick to it, but if it's something you would just be glad to see the back of, then anything is a bonus. Take a small float of change with you. You'll need it.

Thanks hun, there is just so much of it I want rid obviously apart from the more expensive bits. My friend is going to do it with me.

I was going to do eBay but to be honest don't think its worth it, I tried to sell Clark's shoes that my son only wore a few times but no joy.

I can't really think of where else to sell it really.

If you just want rid of it all as quickly as possible then you must price things cheaply. TBH t-shirts from supermarkets are so cheap new that you'd be lucky to get 50p each for them. I've done one once and sold all the kids toys at rock bottom prices and made well over a hundred quid. Wouldnt bother again though especially with clothes - clothes now either gets passed on or charity bagged. People really do expect stuff for next to nothing at a car boot.

Good luck

I did a couple last year and am thinking of doing one this weekend weather permitting. People really don't want to pay much for stuff any more but if you have a fair amount of stuff and don't want to just chuck it then it can be worth it.
Its not easy money though and theres no guarantee of making much if anything. Kids clothes I sold for about 50p an item which isnt much but mounts up if you have a fair amount and people will often buy in bundles if its a size etc they want! As MLM says if you don't want to let stuff go for less than an amount then stick to it. Sometimes it pays off other times it doesnt and strangely the stuff that means more to you often doesnt seem to be what others want to pay for! Think its often sentimental value that pushes it up for the seller but that means nothing to the buyers!
Take some carriers as well because people expect them with their 20p purchases :rolleyes:

Good advice from everyone here. I would add that it is a good idea to display your items nicely. Either on a table or on hangers on a rail if you can.

You often see clothes spread out on a tarpaulin on the ground which is very off-putting for people who don't want to go crawling around.

Also, find somewhere secure for your money. A money belt/bum bag is the best, or an apron with large pockets. NOT in a cash box on the table which will disappear the minute your back is turned!

BB, one thing you might want to try is the facebook buying and selling pages. Ive been picking up a few decent bits dirt cheap from the ones that are local to me lately, and people advertise all sorts of things on there for sale. Do a search for "bargains" with your area and "For Sale" your area on there and have a look. Free to advertise and people can collect from you or you can deliver if you dont want people knowing where you live and charge a couple of quid for petrol. Just a thought.

I used to do car boots regularly a few years back and could make good money - £100 quid plus on a Sunday morning selling bits and bobs, including clothes, which I hang on a rail alongside my table where I can keep an eye (I have had stuff nicked at boot sales sad to say).

More recently I tried again, and how things have changed. People just don't want to pay anything unless it's pennies. Things I would have got a couple of quid for, a fiver even three or four years ago, ... they now wanted to pay 50p for? I think the last one I did I took about 30 quid and by the time I'd paid the fee (£7.50) and then the petrol, time etc. It just wasn't worth it.

A lot depends on where the sale is and to put it bluntly - the type of punter. This is going to sound terribly elitist .. but if you've got any affluent or posh towns, villages in your area .. it's always worth doing them there - especially if you've got 'label' stuff, or kitchenalia and 'shabby chic' type items. They are much more willing to pay a fair price for it (in my experience) that at your run of the mill boot fair.

As others have said it's hit and miss, but definitely worth giving it a go.

I used to do car boots regularly a few years back and could make good money - £100 quid plus on a Sunday morning selling bits and bobs, including clothes, which I hang on a rail alongside my table where I can keep an eye (I have had stuff nicked at boot sales sad to say).

More recently I tried again, and how things have changed. People just don't want to pay anything unless it's pennies. Things I would have got a couple of quid for, a fiver even three or four years ago, ... they now wanted to pay 50p for? I think the last one I did I took about 30 quid and by the time I'd paid the fee (£7.50) and then the petrol, time etc. It just wasn't worth it.

A lot depends on where the sale is and to put it bluntly - the type of punter. This is going to sound terribly elitist .. but if you've got any affluent or posh towns, villages in your area .. it's always worth doing them there - especially if you've got 'label' stuff, or kitchenalia and 'shabby chic' type items. They are much more willing to pay a fair price for it (in my experience) that at your run of the mill boot fair.

As others have said it's hit and miss, but definitely worth giving it a go.
I also found people want to pay less now than they did years ago when did them but I found in the less well off area people were buying more than in the better off area. I felt it was because they needed to get the stuff cheap whereas the better off people could go get it new if they wish(but thats just my assumptions! I suppose it could depend what you have to sell though

*Emsie* said:
I also found people want to pay less now than they did years ago when did them but I found in the less well off area people were buying more than in the better off area. I felt it was because they needed to get the stuff cheap whereas the better off people could go get it new if they wish(but thats just my assumptions! I suppose it could depend what you have to sell though

Thanks for all your input. It's all kids clothes mainly t-shirts, jeans, baby gros & baby vests. I've got so much. Normally I give it to friends but no one needs them. What I'll do is sell the best expensive bits on ebay, gumtree or netmums & sell the other stuff at car boot. Even if I can get 50p a t-shirt that's fine.

Yes definitely, I should have made that clearer - it does depend on what you're selling. I've mainly got what you'd probably describe as kitchenalia items - old enamel biscuit tins and pottery jugs, candlesticks etc. - arty farty shabby chic type stuff as well as slightly wacky vintage type clothing (not the kind of stuff you can really buy 'new' .) - and it's definitely in the affluent areas that I do better, as they are more willing to pay a decent price for it, and indeed are more likely to be attracted to the items I'm selling in the first place. In the less well off areas, folks are more concerned with just getting a bargain on contemporary items.

*Emsie* said:
Did one today and made about 55 pound...not too bad but its been a long day!

Oh that's good. Did you have much to sell? How much did you charge for things?

Cheers hun :)

Back