Carb allowance on working solutions

Does anybody know what the maximum grams of carbs you should have in the evening meal on work solutions? I see so many recipes all of different carb amounts and I wonder what the actual threshold is so I can look at Dukan recipes as well

X

Would love to know this also, just been looking through a low fat cooking book, and got loads of recipes and some have got low carbs, but would love to know the actual amount we are allowed, for those occasions when food is required :rolleyes: x I might email Exante and ask x

Good thinking k8te! Would love to know the answer So thanks :)

Just not sure what the max carbs a day is to allow u to remain in ketosis cos thats the biggy for me - I don't want to loose the ketosis!

I just read somewhere 20g a day is maximum for ketosis diets .... Some people can have more apparantely but 20g is standard - so I guess u take off the carbs had in the shakes bars etc and then see what's left to have

Well iv just totally confused myself! At the moment I'm still using keediet products to use them up before ordering my exante ones. Keediet it's 3 products a day plus a low cal meal - all ketosis proof but the banana shake with kee is 135calories and only 5.4g of carbs! - I just looked at the exante banana shake and it's 200 cals and 18.5g of carbs! So now im very confused!

Xx anyone wish to enlighten me?

Exante packs are slightly higher in calories than other VLCDs but as you can see from the boards, it doesnt seem to affect weightloss. It confuses me too that i have the ability to lose more on exante than i ever did on CD, yet CD is less calories. One of those weird sciency things i'll never understand, but if it works it works :D

Dont worry too much, you can have up to 80g carb a day and still be in ketosis. In fact scientifically, anything under 130g a day is considered low carb, which is a lot.

Exante provides you with 55g carb a day, and everyone will get into ketosis in 3 days on that. I beleive Atkins is 20g initially and then this rises to 30g or 35g, but dont confue Atkins with VLCD. On Atkins the calories are not limited so therefore it is essential that the carbs are severely restricted in order to achieve weight loss. A VLCD even with a low carb meal is still pretty much restricted on calories. You will be able to do up to 70g or 80g carb and still be in ketosis (so an extra 15g to 25g a day on top of 3 shakes).

Will be intersting to see what Exantes response is, but I think they will come back with an answer along the lines that only Total solution is guaranteed to get you into ketosis, but Working solution will still make you lose weight due to the low calorie levels.

Quite honestly though, you have to look at the bigger picture. A VLCD restricts you to 600 cals a day with all your nutrition thrown in, and thats the reason it works so well, it so low in calories you are really on the bare minimum without putting yourself at risk on nutrition. The fact is also puts you in ketosis is really to be considered a bonus.

Low carb diets eg Atkins state 20g carbs a day but do not stipulate a fat or cal limit. Cd, exante etc all have lower carb limits than a normal diet but much more than Atkins. However, as we know, vlcd's also have the lower cal aspect to them. All versions, low cal + restricted carbs or low carb (Atkins) + no cal restrictions are ketogenic diets but obviously for different reasons.

Basically, if u stick to the general ketosis rules (citrics etc) and stick to 20g carbs a day then the cals n fat don't matter. If ur still having a couple of vlcd meal replacements a day ur carbs will already be higher so ur added meal will also need to restrict it's cals as well as carbs.

If u take the values from a sachet, eg 200 cals n 20g carbs Ish I'd probably aim to use roughly the same in the meal.

This is all interesting stuff - cheers guys

The comment above about ketosis being a bonus - isnt it the fact that u go into ketosis on VLCD, the reason why it is safe? Iv read so much before on people getting incredibly Ill by just having 800 cals a day but not actually doing a ketogenic diet .... That's the reason I'm so hooked up on making sure what I'm eating with my extra meal on working solutions, keeps me in ketosis because otherwise I'm too scared to just have 800 calories a day if im now in ketosis .... Does that make sense?

Well on cd after soul source or soul source plus, the two lowest cal levels the next level up when refeeding or aam week is their 810 cal version which people can come out of ketosis on.

The reply is back and this is their answer:

Hi Kate

If you are following the Working Solution then the aim is to eat foods that will keep you in ketosis. You should avoid carbohydrates and stick to green vegetables/salads and meat such as turkey and chicken or fish.

We say 'low carb, high protein' as a guideline as some clients can have a small amount of carbohydrates (such as carbohydrates contained within certain vegetables and fruit) and still stay in ketosis, but this varies from client to client.

Kind Regards,

Jackie

Still not an actual answer though is it?!? x

They cant give you a definitive answer though because everyone reacts differently to carbs. I dont get into ketosis at all on Exante because its too high in carbs for me but most other people have no problems at all.

I posted the following on total solutions - they are the food allowances on W8 regular programme which is similar to exante working! The food is designed to keep you in ketosis.

AAM on W8 (onother VLCD) is as follows (for their rapid - our total and regular - our working)

The correct way to use the following to make up ONE meal per day everyday for 1 week. It is NOT a list of items you can eat throughout the day.

3oz of the following:
skinless chicken breast (= not even a full one)
Lean ham, pork or Bacon - all visable fat removed!!
Quorn/Soya/Tofu
Plain Cottage cheese (low fat)
oily fish salmon/mackerel/sardines
turkey
lean mince (chicken, turkey or pork only)
1 medium egg - boiled or poached (not fried)
white fish/cod/shellfish/prawns/tuna(fresh/tinned in brine or water)

Unimited (at that meal)

Broccoli, chicory, bamboo shoots, lettuce, spinich, asparagus, courgettes, fresh garlic, Balsamic Vinegar, alfalfa sprouts, rasishes, cauliflower, watercress, celery, fennel, marrow, herbs, tabasco, peppers, cucumber, leeks, rocket, cabbage, pakchoi, mushrooms, spices, salt and pepper.

Stay away from tomatoes and onions - high carb!!

I use a 1/2 pack to make sauce - e.g. thai to make a stirfry and serve it with mashed cauliflower

By sticking to the above you will remain in ketosis and it shouldn't affect your weightloss too much!

This is all interesting stuff - cheers guys

The comment above about ketosis being a bonus - isnt it the fact that u go into ketosis on VLCD, the reason why it is safe? Iv read so much before on people getting incredibly Ill by just having 800 cals a day but not actually doing a ketogenic diet .... That's the reason I'm so hooked up on making sure what I'm eating with my extra meal on working solutions, keeps me in ketosis because otherwise I'm too scared to just have 800 calories a day if im now in ketosis .... Does that make sense?

The answer is no, ketosis does not give you any immunity. The reason that VLCD's are safe to use is because they contain all the nutrition you need for survival on very imited calories. That is the only reason.

Ketosis is what happens when your body starts burning your fat stores for energy, actually even thats not strictly correct. Ketosis is the byproduct of your body burning your fatstores, because you produce ketones which can be detected in urine, hence the use of keto stix to detect the ketones.

Ketosis itself is a perfectly natural body reaction, that happens naturally even when not following a strictly low carb diet, particularly during sleep when glucogen stores are low. An effect of ketosis is that it suppresses appetite and this could explain why people often say they dont want to eat first thing in the morning. The appetite supressing effect is so useful when following a VLCD, as it helps you exist on so few calories without being hungry all the time.

Back