Carb allowance?

Giza

How many carbs is too many carbs in a replacement drink? I've heard you can have bouillon as an 'extra' snack. My cubes have 3g of carbs per cup (40 cals). Is this ok for a VLCD or too many carbs? And if anyone knows (!) how many carbs should one aim NOT to exceed on a VLCD? (I'll stop with the questions soon... beginner's ignorance!)

It varies from person to person but I think it's something like 50 - 60g of carbs per day to keep ketosis. I would say that your cubes are quite high in calories and carbs compared to something like Marigold bouillon that has 14 calories and 1.6g of carbs per serving. Carbs aside I wouldn't want to add 40 calories to my daily total just for a cup of bouillon. The Marigold variety is widely available in supermarkets and less than £2 a pot. The reduced salt variety is better I believe.

If you like marmite you could make a marmite hot drink just 1g carbs per 4g serving. I find a savoury drink sometimes helps if i am craving sweet things :)

Chuffy_29 said:
If you like marmite you could make a marmite hot drink just 1g carbs per 4g serving. I find a savoury drink sometimes helps if i am craving sweet things :)

Never thought of using Marmite!!

Thank you! I'm on a marmite/marigold drive today! Thanks esp to BG for the info on daily carbs! Really helpful! These are the disadvantages of going it alone. But I feel so much more informed thanks to all of you!

i'd have though marmite was quite high in salt, which makes you retain water, though.

0.4g per serving (sames as half tin of mulligatawny soup) but once a day shouldn't do any harm....wouldn't be drinking it like tea though :eek:

Thanks Chuffy for the marmite tip! I love the stuff, never tried to drink it but I'll certainly try. I looked for bullion today in Tesco, couldn't find it. Anyone know where in the supermarket I should look?

with the stock cubes. which might be with the oils and vinegars but is sometimes with the scary canned meat.

Back