Green Days Carb phobia!

shrinki

Gold Member
Hi
I have been following SW for 3 weeks and lost 8 pounds which I'm very happy with. I have been doing extra easy most days and loving the food. I would like to do green days too but can't help worrying about all the carbs (hangover from Atkins days). Do you reduce them at all in the evening or really eat them as a free food (until full). The worried side of me keeps wanting to throw in red days as lower carb but I find I'm hungry.. Do a lot of people worry about this when starting out? I'd be interested to hear some green success stories! Thanks x

Hi!
Firstly well done on your great loss so far, its really good.

I started out on Green (being veggie) & as much as I loved it I found I was eating too much, I'd make massive pasta bakes just for me. (I've never been good at guessing how much to cook). Its important to eat until you're full, as in "satisfied" not "stuff yourself silly" full :) I've also done Atkins & it does seem strange knowing you can eat lots of carbs & still lose, but from someone who's done Green it works. Personally I love EE because it encourages me to eat so much more veg but every now & then I'll throw in a Green day. Just make sure you stop eating when you've had enough & you should be fine :) x

Im not one for having done low carb diets so i dont get the whole carb phobia. I know its junk food that made me fat not jacket potatoes! I have successfully lost weight in the past with including these things in my diet. I think as said above portions are important. On a red day you wouldnt eat four steaks with a sauce and nothing else, so dont make the mistake of doing that with pasta on green. Still have your one third superfree/veg to help control portions. I dont weigh mine but will use only 2-3 max handfuls of dry pasta per person. Dont forget there are other things you can have like cous cous, rice, noodles, all the beans as well as quorn.

As others have already mentioned portion control is key. One thing I try and do when have a green day is limit the carbs to one main meal. I would generally have homemade soup for lunch and then have egg chips and beans for dinner. If I'm working from home I might have a stir fry for lunch and possibly pasta for dinner.

It's all about finding out what works for your body and also what fits in with your lifestyle

On a red day you wouldnt eat four steaks with a sauce and nothing else, so dont make the mistake of doing that with pasta on green. Still have your one third superfree/veg to help control portions.... Dont forget there are other things you can have like cous cous, rice, noodles, all the beans as well as quorn.

^ ^
| |

What funky munky said :cool:

Ok guys - thanks for the reassurance. I am certainly not planning a carb binge - just wondered how you all work the green plan ;-)

I am actually having no more carbs today than I would on extra easy and forgot to use my hexs too ha ha! I think I will just stick to EE most of the time as it is definitely retraining me in the way I eat.

X

lol!
When I first went to SW I couldn't believe at the newcomers talk that I could eat all this food... certain foods being 'free' baffled me, but I can in after the first week with a 7lb weight loss (probably so big as I have ALOT to lose!) it has settled down now to 1-2.5lbs a week and I'm doing great!!!

As an engineer I always need to know how things work - it's my natural way! I have not managed to work out how on a green day I can have a jacket potato topped with pasta and an entire tin of baked beans and lose weight - but I do and continue to do so every week.
Trust the plan!! x

vickidyers said:
lol!
When I first went to SW I couldn't believe at the newcomers talk that I could eat all this food... certain foods being 'free' baffled me, but I can in after the first week with a 7lb weight loss (probably so big as I have ALOT to lose!) it has settled down now to 1-2.5lbs a week and I'm doing great!!!

As an engineer I always need to know how things work - it's my natural way! I have not managed to work out how on a green day I can have a jacket potato topped with pasta and an entire tin of baked beans and lose weight - but I do and continue to do so every week.
Trust the plan!! x

Thanks - you are absolutely right - I just need to trust the plan and enjoy it. I also think about the syns but have read time and time again that it's best to use them. Week two I had a lower amount of syns and lost one pound and week three I had all my syns for the week (actually was one over for the week) and lost two pounds! I'm not going to try and work out why it works - I am just happy that it does! X

It is possible to eat tons (and I mean TONS) of pasta, potatoes and rice and still lose 4lbs a week. I proved that last time!

ETA just need to get back to being 100% this time and I'll lose more than just the same lb I keep gaining back!

I prefer to have green days as i could easily just have a jacket potato. Lovely and filling :)

Why do carbs always get a bad name? Carbs are amazing.

Carbs don't make you fat. Fat makes you fat. If you do Green days, Carbs make you skinny.

That's all you need to know. Trust the plan it really does work.

xx

It must have been before even atkins that carbs got a bad name. I can remember when I was young my mum would say that potatoes were 'fattening'

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

I read so many books on low carbing that I guess it will just take time to completely change my mindset. Back on EE today and had air fried potato slices with tomatoes, mushrooms and onion for brekkie - yum!

It must have been before even atkins that carbs got a bad name. I can remember when I was young my mum would say that potatoes were 'fattening'

Even lettuce would be fattening if you ate three tons of it in a day :sigh:

Sassia said:

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

They are - if you have new potatoes and 1/4lb of butter, jacket with 1/2lb cheese, don't forget the butter, then if course there's the really naughty pasta, that is so, so fattening, when covered in 1/2 pint of double cream sauces !!!

Speaking as someone who is a total carb addict and literally does binge on carbs sometimes, it still does work. I have done about 5 non-green days the entire time I've done Slimming World (on and off for four years) and I frequently stuff myself til I'm silly, and i STILL LOSE WEIGHT because I stick to the plan. Different things work for different people but it is possible to stuff yourself with carbs and still lose weight. No idea how, but it is possible.

I do mainly green days, or mix2max and eat loads of carbs. A typical lunch is 150g dry weight pasta with a homemade sauce and cheese, or a massive jacket potato with beans and cheese. Dinners include omelette, chips and beans, Quorn chilli with rice or Quorn bolognase with more pasta etc.

I lost 2 stone to get to target about 5 years ago eating like this. I was a postal member and didn't even realise you were supposed to stop eating when full!

Back