Carbonara made with quark?

lucyolivia

Hi all!
Has anyone attempted making a cabonara sauce for pasta with Quark?
I tried once last year sometime but it turned out a bit...erm, weird haha.
Not sure what I did wrong but the quark was a bit lumpy and not really saucy.
I wondereded if anyone else had success with this as I reeally love creamy pasta sauces.
Thanks!

Lucy

i hate quark and have never got this right - i use a HEB instead and have 100g of extra light philadelphia (they've recently increased the allowance) x

I make a carbonara sauce with quark all the time - had it for tea tonight! & it is yummy!

I mix a tub of quark with 2 eggs until smooth, add loads of fresh ground black pepper and put to one side.

Finely dice an onion and fry it off until soft in a large frying pan, with 2 cloves of crushed garlic. Add some chopped up bacon and fry until crisp.

Meanwhile boil a large pan of spaghetti.

Drain the spaghetti (doesn't need to be completely drained as liquid will help sauce), reserve a 1/4 cup of the pasta water.

Mix the water with the quark mixture.

Remove the frying pan from the heat, add the quark and stir in the pasta. Toss the mixture until pasta is completely covered and serve :)

I also add a chopped chicken breast into mine ... nom nom!

Do u think if i made this sauce with pasta and put meatballs with it that woukd be ok ? And nice ? I have gt mince to use tomorrow and was wanting to do this sauce ?

I am going to try this tomorrow after the weigh in for a quick and easy tea, mind you I have spent most of the afternoon skoodling round the supermarkets to find the stuff:)

I am going to try this, as I always tend to have tomato based sauces with pasta and this will be a change off to look for Quark!!

This recipe sounds fab but my concern is the quark is mixed with raw eggs and it says nothing about cooking this mixture - it states Remove the frying pan from the heat, add the quark and stir in the pasta. Toss the mixture until pasta is completely covered and serve. Surely that cannot be right as you would end up pretty ill or am I missing something. I have noticed on a few of the recipes I have found for the many slimming world versions of this recipe that it states the same thing.

This recipe sounds fab but my concern is the quark is mixed with raw eggs and it says nothing about cooking this mixture - it states Remove the frying pan from the heat, add the quark and stir in the pasta. Toss the mixture until pasta is completely covered and serve. Surely that cannot be right as you would end up pretty ill or am I missing something. I have noticed on a few of the recipes I have found for the many slimming world versions of this recipe that it states the same thing.

The residual heat from the pasta cooks the eggs hun, so you wouldn't be eating raw egg :) xx

I make this with natural yoghurt instead of the quark as I've never got that in the fridge. We all love it, and have it regularly (even when not slimming!). My poor daughter ordered Spaghetti Carbonara at a restaurant and hated it, it was far too rich and creamy!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back