Carbs in cereal .. help me guys! lol

summergurl

♥3 Years Maintaining♥
Just had my dinner and i weighed out the suggested serving size 50g with 100ml of milk and i swear that wouldnt even feed my little dog!!

So i had 100g cereal with 100ml of milk ... 450cals, 73.4g carbs :eek:, 16.4g fat (2.3g sats) 6.8g fibre

(i havnt accounted for the less milk i had except for the cals, so the carbs onwards still includes the extra 100mls milk i didnt have)

This is what i plan on having for brekkie along with a banana ... so is the total carb amount (73.4g) too much for a day? im going to be having veg/fruit/yogs that will also contain some carbs and now im worried that its far too high!!!!!!! mary/jan/someone/anyone is this ok? Are the other nutrition stuff too high also?

Have voiced my thoughts in one of the other threads Tan xxxx

Oh, I dont know Tanya...wish I did.....I am more confused than ever :)!!!!!

My natural reaction is it is too high, but I just dont know. I know for me I am going to try and not have a lot of carbs, but have high GI foods which will keep me fuller for longer.

I do hope someone more able can answer your question although I know Jan has answered on another thread!

Sorry hun, cant be much more help.

Tan ... Just checking on all the cereals i have - your figures are about right ... My granola is the lowest at 46.2g carbs per 100gms, oatibix are 63.7 and Jordans wholegrain muesli is 61.2. You NEED the high level of good carbs to sustain you. Try not to be frightened of any food groups - we're all at the 'trial and error' stage aren't we?! There is no one definitive answer .... if only :eek: xxx

Tanya, have you tried porridge oats? I dont mean the ready brek type of thing, I mean proper porridge oats. This is a good filling healthy cereal and again its good carbs with low GI (Jan will explain about that one.......lol).

You can make it up the night before with some skimmed milk, sweetner and berries and leave it in the fridge overnight, then eat it cold or warm it up in the microwave. Or follow the instructions on the pack and make it fresh, lovely and warm on a cold morning.

hear, hear!!!!! Have to say that being a Scot.
Now, my hairdresser (who is also Scottish, albiet with an English accent)! Told me what they did as a kid! Never heard of it before, but I am gonna try it.

It is like a cereal bar.

Make Porridge, but with good old SCOTS PORRIDGE OATS,,none of the rubbish stuff out there! Make it up, but quite thickly....then as it is cooling, pour into a dish (oven one will do, not too deep or shallow), then when layer Raspberry Jam over the porridge, then another layer of porridge. Let it cool, put in fridge and then make into bars!

Now, I cannot say I have ever had this or ever heard of it for that matter, but he says it is lovely! mm.....It does sound nice and healthy and filling and none of the E numbers you get in the other bars..maybe in a few weeks time I will try it if you havent tried it before me :)

Hmmm i think jam might set off sugar cravings for me :(

Mary, i was thinking of that as the cereal iv bought was like £4 a bag - quite expensive compared to just buying oats on there own.

So what quantities would i have to make up? Shall i just goose at the packet? lol
Cuz making up the oats, with the milk and some raisens and leaving it over night ready for brekkie in the morning sounds like an ideal breakfast for me ... :)

Me being Scottish, I also love it made with water and adding salt, then cold milk when cooked.

Tanya, to make it overnight, just mix about 40g of porridge oats with about 150ml of skimmed milk, add any berries, sultanas you like ( I use Tesco frozen summer berries) then if its too thick in the morning, you can add a little natural yogurt or some more skimmed milk. If you dont like it like that, ping it in the microwave for a minute or two.

Hmm thanks mary - i think i might give that a try tomorrow morning. I have some oats downstairs. Im guna goose later see which will result in the lesser carbs :giggle:

Gosh, I didnt realise you were Scottish Mary :)!!!! Yes, that is the way I make mine too :)!!!

Me being Scottish, I also love it made with water and adding salt, then cold milk when cooked.

Tanya, to make it overnight, just mix about 40g of porridge oats with about 150ml of skimmed milk, add any berries, sultanas you like ( I use Tesco frozen summer berries) then if its too thick in the morning, you can add a little natural yogurt or some more skimmed milk. If you dont like it like that, ping it in the microwave for a minute or two.

Me being Scottish, I also love it made with water and adding salt, then cold milk when cooked..
Me too!!! Whenever I tell people I add salt they look at me like I've got 3 heads! LOL! :D
.. just mix about 40g of porridge oats with about 150ml of skimmed milk, add any berries, sultanas you like ( I use Tesco frozen summer berries) then if its too thick in the morning, you can add a little natural yogurt or some more skimmed milk. If you dont like it like that, ping it in the microwave for a minute or two.
Mmmmm....(adds it to her little black book...:p)

Maybe it's a celic thing, being Irish too, i make mine with water with a pinch of salt, then add whatever. Mind you don't like it with ordinary milk so cool it with oatmilk, with blueberries or honey - delish!

Can't to you tell I refeed tomorrow.

It WAS you that was drooling then? ;P

Whats this salt buisness about?! :giggle: Oats and salt?!!!!!!!

LOL! See!!! I guess it's Irish Mamas trying to avoid creating sweet tooths in their babies? Doesn't always work though.... ;P

lol!! think i will give that a miss :S lol

One more sleep and then baked turkey salad here I come. Roll on two weeks later though. I can have my porrige and eat it. :)

oooh you starting refeed tomorrow Aoife?

Aye, refeeding tomorrow, was going to be Friday, but going hill walking and wanted to get the spud out of the way. Can't believe I'm here really. I'm nearly at my goal weight wise, but I've got a 30 inch waist which was what I wanted.
I'm just pleased as punch, I wanted to lose because I love water sports and was too heavy for some of the boats, but not anymore, and it's easier to go up mountains now, I'm not lugging the extra weight. I'm excited and nervous, about food.

You have done absolutely amazing, and your before and after photos are brilliant. In fact everyone refeeding on here are a inspiration.

Good luck for refeed adofe.

Salt in porridge is just as lush as sweet porridge with milk.

Scotsmist, yeah I left Scotland in 1982 and I am now in Wales.
Which part of Scotland are you from? I am originally from Ayrshire.

Back