Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Carbs v Calories.

Discussion in 'Atkins Diet' started by Everhopeful, 21 October 2011 Social URL.

1. Everhopeful

Everhopeful " If at First".....

Start Weight:
    13st8lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(4.21%)
    Diet:
    No Sugar.
    Dr Atkins said there was no need to count calories, yet I know many do. How essential is it to count calories? I know that when I do, they are OTT. To lose weight at my height I should have only 1200 calories, if I eat the food I've planned for today, it comes to 1661 calories and 18 carbs.
    I'd love to read the views of others here because I've lost my way.
    :confused:

Last edited: 21 October 2011
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Caledonia

Caledonia Full Member

Start Weight:
    19st13lb
    Current Weight:
    13st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st7lb
    Lost(%):
    6st7lb(32.62%)
    Diet:
    Atkins Induction
    Hiya

i know many people say you HAVE to count calories, but I found if I did it left me confused and angry.

I lost 5 stone on Atkins and was eating way over the daily amount that I should have if you calorie count.

Everyone has different ways of dieting that work for them - my advice would be to follow your own road, if it works for you go for it.

4. Everhopeful

Everhopeful " If at First".....

Start Weight:
    13st8lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(4.21%)
    Diet:
    No Sugar.
    Thanks Caledonia, actually since my last post I have trimmed it down to 1508 calories for today.

On other forums some posters are counting carbs and calories for various reasons. I wondered if anyone here is doing the same. I do little or no exercise but then that - in theory isn't supposed to be a problem either.

Atkins is certainly working for you, congratulations. :)

5. Kat1e

Kat1e This is for life

Start Weight:
    17st8.9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st6.2lb
    Lost(%):
    4st10.1lb(26.77%)
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    I keep an eye on calories as well as carbs because:
    - My fitness pal does it anyway when i track carbs(i wouldnt bother otherwise)
    - If i drink (well when - at weekends and hols) then i've noticed that the empty calories plus extra food (legal but im always hungrier) can seriously rack up the cals - that can lead to a stall
    - When i exercise lots (which i do to use all this wonderful atkins energy;) ), i sometimes dont eat enough - then i wake up starving in the night - not good for sleep or managing cravings

However the standard mfp calc of cals and weightloss doesnt work - it's not a straight equation!

I like this quote-
    Dr Atkins said dont count calories, not that calories dont count!
    :D

6. dreamer85

dreamer85 Full Member

So what would be an adviseable number of calories to follow?

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.