Carbs v Calories.

Discussion in 'Atkins Diet' started by Everhopeful, 21 October 2011 Social URL.

1. Everhopeful

Everhopeful " If at First".....

Start Weight:
    13st8lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(4.21%)
    Diet:
    No Sugar.
    Dr Atkins said there was no need to count calories, yet I know many do. How essential is it to count calories? I know that when I do, they are OTT. To lose weight at my height I should have only 1200 calories, if I eat the food I've planned for today, it comes to 1661 calories and 18 carbs.
    I'd love to read the views of others here because I've lost my way.
    :confused:

Last edited: 21 October 2011
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Caledonia

Caledonia Full Member

Start Weight:
    19st13lb
    Current Weight:
    13st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st7lb
    Lost(%):
    6st7lb(32.62%)
    Diet:
    Atkins Induction
    Hiya

i know many people say you HAVE to count calories, but I found if I did it left me confused and angry.

I lost 5 stone on Atkins and was eating way over the daily amount that I should have if you calorie count.

Everyone has different ways of dieting that work for them - my advice would be to follow your own road, if it works for you go for it.

4. Everhopeful

Everhopeful " If at First".....

Start Weight:
    13st8lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(4.21%)
    Diet:
    No Sugar.
    Thanks Caledonia, actually since my last post I have trimmed it down to 1508 calories for today.

On other forums some posters are counting carbs and calories for various reasons. I wondered if anyone here is doing the same. I do little or no exercise but then that - in theory isn't supposed to be a problem either.

Atkins is certainly working for you, congratulations. :)

5. Kat1e

Kat1e This is for life

Start Weight:
    17st8.9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st6.2lb
    Lost(%):
    4st10.1lb(26.77%)
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    I keep an eye on calories as well as carbs because:
    - My fitness pal does it anyway when i track carbs(i wouldnt bother otherwise)
    - If i drink (well when - at weekends and hols) then i've noticed that the empty calories plus extra food (legal but im always hungrier) can seriously rack up the cals - that can lead to a stall
    - When i exercise lots (which i do to use all this wonderful atkins energy;) ), i sometimes dont eat enough - then i wake up starving in the night - not good for sleep or managing cravings

However the standard mfp calc of cals and weightloss doesnt work - it's not a straight equation!

I like this quote-
    Dr Atkins said dont count calories, not that calories dont count!
    :D

6. dreamer85

dreamer85 Full Member

So what would be an adviseable number of calories to follow?

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.