• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Carbs v Calories.

" If at First".....
Dr Atkins said there was no need to count calories, yet I know many do. How essential is it to count calories? I know that when I do, they are OTT. To lose weight at my height I should have only 1200 calories, if I eat the food I've planned for today, it comes to 1661 calories and 18 carbs.
I'd love to read the views of others here because I've lost my way.
Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!
Last edited:

i know many people say you HAVE to count calories, but I found if I did it left me confused and angry.

I lost 5 stone on Atkins and was eating way over the daily amount that I should have if you calorie count.

Everyone has different ways of dieting that work for them - my advice would be to follow your own road, if it works for you go for it.

" If at First".....
Thanks Caledonia, actually since my last post I have trimmed it down to 1508 calories for today.

On other forums some posters are counting carbs and calories for various reasons. I wondered if anyone here is doing the same. I do little or no exercise but then that - in theory isn't supposed to be a problem either.

Atkins is certainly working for you, congratulations. :)

This is for life
I keep an eye on calories as well as carbs because:
- My fitness pal does it anyway when i track carbs(i wouldnt bother otherwise)
- If i drink (well when - at weekends and hols) then i've noticed that the empty calories plus extra food (legal but im always hungrier) can seriously rack up the cals - that can lead to a stall
- When i exercise lots (which i do to use all this wonderful atkins energy;) ), i sometimes dont eat enough - then i wake up starving in the night - not good for sleep or managing cravings

However the standard mfp calc of cals and weightloss doesnt work - it's not a straight equation!

I like this quote-
Dr Atkins said dont count calories, not that calories dont count!