carbs verses other diets

utternutta

Just looking at a magazine when people have lost weight etc and it always seems to be people cutting out carbs for example for dinner its fish and veg or a salad for lunch etc wheras SW can include lots of carbs!!!!!! Spose all diets are different............. whatcha make of it?? Cutting out carbs helps me but dont think its good long term so thats why sticking with SW!!!

Cutting out carbs completely is unhealthy. People make the mistake far too often of thinking carbs are bad for you. What you need to avoid is 'white' carbs which have no health benefits at all. Switch from white pastas/rices etc to wholegrain varieties.

Cutting out carbs for too long is not healthy,i think i would go around the bend if i cut out carbs lol.The reason why slimming world works,is that it takes away the guilt of eating,you dont need to stop eating any food,just some items you need to eat less of,some need to be weighed,hence syns and h/e.

I did Atkins for a while and lost loads of weight, I loved it, in fact I only stopped because of the cost.
Now, if I do a red day, I'm hungry due to the lack of carbohydrates. I need them!

I hate that in magazines. It always strikes me as odd when diets like SW/WW who work on the 'nothing is banned' premise have people in their magazines (and other magazines) who have their diet meals as steamed fish, skinless chicken, lots of veg.

Id rather poke my eyes out than go in a magazine but I was tempted when I was doing WW that when I got to goal to write in and then say my diet was pasta, chicken, desserts, with snacks of crisps, wine and a Chinese once a week.

These articles just reinforce the ideas that you have to either starve or eat the most unappetising food imaginable on a diet

I no longer eat carbs, or at least very few. I've never been keen on potatoes or pasta anyway. My biggest downfall was always bread. I follow red days as it suits me best, I have the odd cracker now and then and occasionally we have a treat and have a pizza so I wouldn't say I'm carbs teetotal. I use two slices of wholemeal as my hexb for a sandwich and that's about it.

If you cut out any major food group you'd lose weight simply because that food group isn't being replaced by anything (in respect to the diet plans that feature all too often in magazines).

I was reading an article in the paper the other day which stated that there is no scientific proof from any of the studies done (of which there are many), to support the claim that cutting carbs helps you lose weight or provides any health benefits. It stated that those who followed sensible healthy eating patterns were more likely to keep the weight off in the long run rather than those who cut carbs.

Just wish I could remember where i'd seen it to share the link!

I used to be a carb junky :D -but when I started SW I gave up bread completely as I KNOW I have issues with bread -and as much as I loved it I feel much better for not having it -after 37 weeks I don't miss it at all now -even when, like the other day I make baguette dough, pizza and calzone for hubby :happy036:
I mainly do red days and love them and find that 2heBs are more than enough.. and when I do green days like today I still don't have many carbs... after trying out potato cakes for brekkie -I actually found I felt "over full and heavy" and I was unable to manage any lunch:eek: and dinner that we have just had was supposed to be vegetable cheese pasta bake -and I ended up doing mine as just vegetable cheese. Even when I do have pasta I stuggle to eat 50g dry weight :confused:..
I could never go carb free though because the minute I did I would want them :p

I love carbs............pulses, pasta, potatoes .

For me SW is the perfect plan because I can eat all of those and still lose weight.

I'm a proper carb junkie, and I'm really craving them at the moment - combination of being full of flu and wanting comfort food, and all the meaty stuff I ate over Christmas I think. I lose better on red days, so do have to be careful with carbs, but I still love that I can eat potato wedges and jacket potatoes and SW chips and loads of pasta without having to fall off the wagon! I could never, ever maintain a carb free lifestyle!

I'm a proper carb junkie, and I'm really craving them at the moment - combination of being full of flu and wanting comfort food, and all the meaty stuff I ate over Christmas I think. I lose better on red days, so do have to be careful with carbs, but I still love that I can eat potato wedges and jacket potatoes and SW chips and loads of pasta without having to fall off the wagon! I could never, ever maintain a carb free lifestyle!

I am with you here even though I gave up both bread and butter 2 years ago as both made me feel ill.

An average day for me on SW always has pulses, pasta or potatoes included plus my sesame ryvitas and I have lost 62lbs and hope when I WI on Monday I will have shifted the 3lbs I put back on over the holiday period.

I make big pans full of "free" soup and add chickpeas or broad beans or lentils. Not only is it delicious but it is also filling, satisfying and keeps me feeling full until my evening meal.

I used to think that I needed to eat low carb in order to lose weight (because that's all I had done before this) however that isn't true for me. I tend to mainly do EE (with occasional green days to give me extra Hex's) and I eat loads of carbs. What has helped me do this is eating what I want to eat within the plan (which was mostly carbs at the beginning but is far less so now) rather than what I think I should be eating. Over time, what I want to be eating has changed quite a bit so now I am happy eating a wider variety of foods than I was at the beginning.

However I have also pretty much given up bread. Unfortunately (unlike Capricorn) although I don't miss it and crave for it, I still love eating white bread/fresh rolls etc when I have the opportunity (I just make sure that I don't have the opportunity very often !!).

Gail x

Back