Carob

alottolose

Gold Member
who knows... maybe it wont be ok, the recipe book I have says....

Carob is a rich dark sweetener that is a very useful substitute for cocoa or chocolate.

Produced from the mediterranean carob, or locust, bean, it is available in bar or powder form from health food shops and larger supermarkets.

It is naturally sweeter than cocoa so carob products need far less added sugar than chocolate and it is lower in fat so carob products contains less calories.

Carob contains E and some B vitamins, as well as calcium, magnesium and iron.

ive asked on the site for you babe.

reply appeared to your post on dukan forum Vicky..

Hi Longratia!
I'm afraid but you are not allowed of carob as it is considered as starch.

also found this

[SIZE=+2]Nutritional Information[/SIZE]
Carob is up to 8% protein and contains vitamins A, B, B2, B3 and D. It is also high in calcium, phosphorus, potassium and magnesium and contains iron, manganese, barium, copper and nickel. However, it should of course only be eaten in moderation alongside a balanced diet. It has no oxalic acid which prevents the body using calcium and zinc. These minerals are vital to a healthy skin and the presence of oxalic acid in chocolate may be connected to the onset of spottiness noticed by some teenagers on the consumption of larger amounts of chocolate.

Active constituents:

The main constituents of carob are large carbohydrates (sugars) and tannins. The sugars make carob gummy and able to act as a thickener to absorb water and help bind together watery stools. Tannins from carob, being water insoluble, do not bind proteins as some tannins do. Carob tannins do bind to (and thereby inactivate) toxins and inhibit growth of bacteriaóboth of which are beneficial when it comes to diarrhea. Dietary fiber and sugars may make food more viscous in the stomach and thus interfere with reflux of acid into the esophagus.
Raw Whole Carob Pods can be hard to find.
Most carob that has been labeled "raw" has been heated about 118 degrees. For truly raw carob powder, we reccomend The Raw Food World.

looks like a no no

perhaps for end of diet or consolidation...a lower calorie cocoa substitute... and with less need for sweeteners would produce lower calorie desserts...helpful later on perhaps...

you can get lower cocoa powder than that!!!!

tesco value x

nah my tesco dont do it :(

really? see dukan site is rubbish then. they said you couldnt have that. i bet they didnt even know what carob was xxx

Back