Dukanista's Diary: Part III!

Dukanista

Gold Member
Hi everyone,

I've been tracking my weight loss and food diary in Excel for the past few weeks, and figured it was time to join the Dukan community. Looking forward to hearing about everyone's progress and sharing our success stories!

I'm about halfway to my goal, but I'm pretty sure the second half is going to be the tough one, since the first 2 or 3 kg's were the same ones I've gained and lost fairly regularly over the past few years. I'm now below my stable weight (just under 57kg) and have been starting to take out all the 'skinny' clothes I'd packed away over the years, which is a huge milestone already.

My Dukan story so far:

Week 1: (down 1.25kg)
I returned from holiday weighing 60kg, and did a one week panic-starvation-soup diet. I realised this wasn't a long-term option and so at the end of the week I decided to try Dukan.
Week 2: (down 0.05kg)
After 2 days research, shopping and experimenting, I did a 5 day Attack and then started Cruise. At the end of the week, I was the same weight as when I started, which I blamed on the crash diet of the week before. Really enjoying the diet itself, though - no cravings, no hunger, relatively easy to follow.
Week 3: (down 1.65kg)
Ignored the scale and continued on Cruise. The weight started to shift rapidly towards the end of the week, which I've come to see as a pattern with Dukan. Just stay patient and the weight WILL start to disappear.
Week 4: (down 0.65kg)
Lost another half a kilo, going down to 56.4kg (my lowest weight in years!). Unfortunately, I had a week-long conference at a 5 star beach resort the following week, and traditionally there is a lot of drinking at these things... I did a couple of extra days of pure protein as preparation.
Week 5: the conference (up 0.55kg)
Decided that I'd stick to PV the whole week to make things easier to follow, and that I'd put the 'no alcohol' rule on hold for the week. So 4 days of drinking: margaritas, pina coladas, a few tequilas, wine... But I managed to stick to Dukan on the food front, avoiding the bread and cheese buffet and the dessert table all week and sticking mainly to seafood and veg. Back Friday and did 2 days of P, with the result that the week wasn't as bad as I thought. AND I was actually comfortable wearing my bikini all week!

So, that brings us to today, and from now on I'll post my progress on a daily/weekly basis. Looking forward to sharing tips, ideas, recipes, etc.

Caro

Welcome to Dukan and congrats on your five previous weeks. There is no reason for things to get much harder if you stick to the rules. It's all 'black n white, regarding what's allowed and not. I tend to do a little 'grey' but it's healthy grey and I am still loosing even 3 weeks into conso!!! So keep going, they are a great bunch of supporters here and there is always someone to 'talk' to.

Hi & welcome, you've made a fantasic start & as long as you stick with what you know it'll be a piece of cake :) Loads of fantastic friendly support on here so if you have a question shout ! Looking forward to reading your diary x

Thank you guys for the encouragement, and congrats on your successes so far! I'm hoping that the 'next half' is not harder than the first - but maybe I'm just waiting for a catch? It seems almost too good to be true that a diet actually works this well... A male colleague just lost 15kgs on Dukan and is now at the stage where he can eat what he likes and is not putting anything back. So that is my dream: to reach my true weight and then be able to keep it off, without worrying about everything I eat.

I agree you need to stick to what you know and slowly get more creative. Here are some of the 'lightbulbs' that went off for me:

- restaurant eating is not hard if you stick to salads (dressing on the side), steak, even chicken ( leaving the skin).
- once you realise that cravings are minimal with Dukan, you have much more confidence and freedom to get on with a normal life. (you CAN order a burger and just eat the meat; you CAN navigate a 5 star buffet for 5 days without being tempted by the desserts, breads or pastries...)
- the alternating P/PV rule is pretty flexible: if I have a social event, I make it a PV day and then do 2 P days in a row if necessary.
- you can stick to Dukan while on holiday / away from home: but if you're going to stray, it's best to define in advance the rules you're going to break (e.g. drinking alcohol); that way you can more or less keep within limits and not do a complete binge.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas and recipes and reaching our goals together!

Caro

Diary for week 6:

On day 3 and I'm almost back to where I was before the conference - hope to be below that weight by the end of the week. Pretty good so far, although I feel a cold coming on...

Monday (PV):
- yoghurt and oat bran + coffee
- cabbage 'stir-fry' + left-over chicken tikka
- fish soup
- yoghurt milkshake

Tuesday (PP):
- yoghurt and oat bran + coffee
- salmon sashimi
- more salmon sashimi
- small cup of fish soup

Notes for next time: make less fish soup! It was delicious, but after day 3 I couldn't stand it any more...

I made up for it by having a MONSTER steak for lunch today! :)

Hi Dukanista,

Congrats on your weightloss so far xx

Thanks, you too! 6.8 pounds in a week is AMAZING! (although i admit once you get into stone i'll have no idea how much you've lost anymore :eek:)

Are you weighing yourself daily, or just once a week? I track my weekly results every Monday, but am weighing myself every day as recommended by Dr. Dukan - finding it pretty useful so far.

Thanks, you too! 6.8 pounds in a week is AMAZING! (although i admit once you get into stone i'll have no idea how much you've lost anymore :eek:)

Are you weighing yourself daily, or just once a week? I track my weekly results every Monday, but am weighing myself every day as recommended by Dr. Dukan - finding it pretty useful so far.

Hiya,

Yes I have been weighing myself at about 7:00 every morning (right after my toilet dash lol).

I'm very happy with the weightloss so far as it's keeping me motivated.

Week 6: Cruisin'...

stayed at home with flu / sore throat today and I swear I feel hungrier than usual. does your body hold onto calories when you're sick? we'll see what the scale says tomorrow...

Wednesday (PV):
B: yoghurt and oat bran + coffee
L: grilled steak, packet of cherry tomatoes
D: cabbage & ham stirfry
S: swig of lite soya milk before bed time

Thursday (PP):
B: cottage cheese & ham galette + coffee
S: vanilla yoghurt (activia - not really allowed but fairly low sugar)
L: smoked salmon & cottage cheese, baked crabsticks
S: yoghurt milkshake
D: ham & cottage cheese rolls

not much exercise the last 2 days but I feel a bit knocked out. Might have to cut short the planned camping trip this weekend... But at least tomorrow is a day off!

Friday (PV):
2 days to weekly weigh in and although i've been up and down the last few days, i'm hoping the scale will show positive results. the 'mental barrier' for me now is 56kg: my lowest so far has been 56.4 and i'm now around 56.7 (still making up for the 'break'), so anything close to 56.0 will have me cheering through cyberspace!

it's pouring with rain here and we postponed the camping, but still had a nice day out at the lake yesterday. I packed some cherry tomatoes and a tuna/yoghurt/celery salad, and had coffee, tea and a diet coke during the day. Also had a flavored Vitamin Water, but on reading the label more carefully I don't think it's allowed.

back to PP today and with the flu i think it's going to be a seafood soup day. hope you're all having a good weekend and better weather than me!

Last edited:
oh, and i made a yummy chicken stew in the evening: chicken with onion, green pepper and celery with a tin of tomatoes. flavored with half a chicken stock cube (low salt), chilli peppers and italian herbs and a spoon of lite sour cream -although i think i'm going to have to say goodbye to the cream since it was one of those sneaky labels. Said 'lite' and seemed to be within the fat limit, until I saw it was per serving!!

My OH had the rest on top of a baked potato and loved it. I had to stop him from adding salt while cooking, and later he admitted that it didn't need any more. So I might be having some positive effect on his diet too - he adds salt to everything!

Dukanista said:
So I might be having some positive effect on his diet too - he adds salt to everything!

Me too, terrible habit! :eek:

Sorry the camping was postponed and no, we haven't got any decent weather here either!

P x

Hope you're feeling better now, I love the sound of the fish soup but I can understand how you might have been fed up with it after 3 days. xx

made some more fish soup yesterday and managed to finish it in one day - a much better portion. OH had some too and said it was getting better and better! i love it because most of the ingredients are frozen so it's good as an emergency meal. i throw in whatever i have, but usually a combination of cuttlefish balls, shrimp, scallops, crabsticks, and fish or fish balls (not sure if these are available outside china?). i add a little bit of onion, celery and garlic, a chili pepper and some herbs for flavor. and a spoon of quark if i want a creamy version.

Week 6: Cruise
getting ready for WI tomorrow...
:scale:
a bit nervous since the scales have hardly moved most of the week. this morning i was just 250g less than last monday... but crossing fingers that tomorrow will see bigger results.

damn flu is not going away either - if i weighed up all the snotty tissues around the house, i should have lost at least 2k this weekend! :)

menus for the last 2 days:

Saturday (PP):
B: yoghurt & bran; coffee
L: fish soup
S: activia vanilla yoghurt
D: fish soup
S: swig of lite soya milk
S: 2 laughing cow lite cheese squares (naughty - only supposed to have 1, and not on the same day as the activia yoghurt...)

exercise: 20-25 mins walking to and from shops - carrying HUGE bag of groceries back!

Sunday (PV):
B: microwave oatbran biscuit; yoplait forme no fat yoghurt; coffee
L: smoked salmon & dill; pack of cherry tomatoes
S: frozen mango yoghurt
D: steamed asparagus; small bowl of chilli con carne (lady m's amazing recipe!)

exercise: at least 2 hours walking around town today

nite nite everyone, wish me luck (and good luck to all you Monday weighers!) x

blech... hardly any weight change last week, and I'm still knocked out by the flu.

i've been madly googling whether illness affects your weight, and i did i read that you can retain water due to sunburn and hot weather. Since i'm still peeling from my beach experience last week, and Shanghai is hitting 30 degrees right now, i'm going to chalk this up to factors beyond my control!

i'm just going to be patient for now, be happy with the small achievement, and focus on getting back to 100%. then i can go back to my menus and see whether there is something i need to cut out.

Cx

Back