Carrying syns over

sugarlove

Hi does anyone do this and still lose weight? I would love to be able to save more syns for the weekend to have a few more drinks

Thanks

I use my syns weekly rather than daily. I have a lot at weekends and this works for me. Some Consultants don't encourage it now, but when I first did SW about 7/8 years ago it was encouraged and it has always worked for me.

Some do and some don't, give it a go and if it works for you carry on, but if you find its not working then just maybe save them for a couple of days nearer the weekend or have them daily and limit the drink accordingly. Its trail and error to start with I think.

I have done this from the beginning of my SW journey and lost nearly 2 and a half stone. Most Saturdays I would drink between 30 to 50 syns of alcohol. I might have had bigger weekly losses but I didn't want to give up having a drink.

However in the last month or so my losses have really slowed down which could be due to this or the fact that I was slipping into more and more EE days where I would eat a lot more carbs. I need to kick start my weight loss again and since Christmas I've decided to drastically reduce what I drink and not save syns, and follow the new, tweaked EE plan where you have to have a third of your meal as superfree.

I managed New Years Eve without drinking and the last two weekends I've only had one drink well within my daily syn allowance. However, it's going to be more difficult when I go out with my friends.

So it is possible to save syns and lose weight but I think you need to try it and see if it will work for you and whether you're happy with your losses.

I have always used syns on a weekly basis as that is what my consultant advised - I do think sw have changed with now though

i've always been told to use your syns daily and if you don't use you lose your syns for that day. i guess it's like being good for 5 days and binging on 2 days, which is probably ok if you're at target, but can put you in a risky situation when you need to get back to being good again.

i guess it's trial and error. i've never saved up my syns for a weekend but i eat whatever i want after weigh-in each week and don't count the syns, so i guess it's the same principals.

All the consultants I have had, including my current one, have advised using the syns daily and saving syns encourages binging but a lot of people work on weekly syns so I guess if it works for you that's fine. Give it a try and see what happens.

you'd probably be safer to use your syns daily as normal then maybe pick a saturday night to have a flexisyns day. this shouldn't be done weekly though....but on the other saturday nights where you're being good you could still have 6 vodka and diet cokes. i know i'd be more than tipsy on that!

The official opinion about this is that if you're strictly following the plan, you shouldn't carry syns over and just have 5-15 each day. However, most consultants will tell you that you can try counting your syns weekly, but if you find that you're struggling to lose or your losses have slowed, it may be due to this 'tweaking'.

For some, this tweak doesn't affect losses, for others, it's crucial to follow the plan to the letter. Trial and error for you to find out whether it's ok or not!

one of the reasons for them saying u should not keep syns for the weekend is they have bein told they are not allowed to encourage binge drinking :D

Its not good to do it all the time it can have an effect on motivation during the times when you have lower syns because you have spent them. The other reason is that your body needs to burn the syns over the week thus having them bulked into 24 hours. Some people cam metabolise quickly most can't.

Phil x

Its not good to do it all the time it can have an effect on motivation during the times when you have lower syns because you have spent them. The other reason is that your body needs to burn the syns over the week thus having them bulked into 24 hours. Some people cam metabolise quickly most can't.

Phil x
Absolutely- the key reason why SW works is you never have to feel deprived and are encouraged to eat lots to keep your metabolic rate up- it would defeat the object to go into 'famine or feast' mode

If the official line is '5-15' a day, then it is that for a reason
x

For me, being able to save up syns has been extremely motivating. I found it great to be able to have a good drink once a week and still lose weight. I would have felt very deprived if I had to give that up. However, that's just me and I don't recommend it for everyone as I'm sure it won't be doing my liver any good.

Now that I've got a lot less to lose, I don't think I can get away with it so easily and as my losses have slowed down I'm trying to greatly reduce what I'm drinking. I still feel very motivated especially as I have more syns each day to use, although sometimes I'm just having something to use the syns up. I hope that I can get out of the habit of drinking once a week but I'll still save syns for special occasions or perhaps use flexi syns.

You need to do what suits you best as what's motivating for one person isn't for another.

I don't drink alcohol anyway so the possibility of me ever binge drinking is - NIL
I save my syns up and as I said above, it works for me.
I'm a full time carer for my son, who is autistic and has communication disability. he doesn't sleep much and because there's no school at weekends I find the extra syns useful to fill in between meals, which can be rather a long time. I don't like to eat more and more free food so use my syns for cheese, or bread or sauces. It just helps me get through the days.

Last edited:
Back