CD and work stress

leeds123

Silver Member
i have been bad for a few months, losing and gaining the same half stone. I went back to work after mat leave to a demoted position, with my locum covering my job now doing my job and as my line manager. its been so stressful and i have finally decided to approach my HR team and complain of sex discrim. I am so stressed and depressed and sticking to CD has become harder! i want to lose the last stone, but feel as if i have too much on so do it, but half heartedly. i know you all have your demons and stresses - how do you all cope day to day??:cry:

Hi leeds,

Sorry to hear ur down+stressed. I was the same with work last yr bt was on the maintenance part of CD. I went off work sick+in the end gave up+piled all my weight bk on plus more. This yr has also been tough+have been on Anti depressants. You have got to do wots best for u b4 u cn get bk into diet mode again so in ur case u need to speak out about how u feel at work etc. I was so down i couldnt vthink bout doin cd as its so mentally tough anyway,i would last no more than a day or 2 then in may this year i started to feel a lot better then got bk on the cd wagon+ive nw lost 7 stone in 6 months :)

Hope this helps x

Hi leeds,

Sorry to hear ur down+stressed. I was the same with work last yr bt was on the maintenance part of CD. I went off work sick+in the end gave up+piled all my weight bk on plus more. This yr has also been tough+have been on Anti depressants. You have got to do wots best for u b4 u cn get bk into diet mode again so in ur case u need to speak out about how u feel at work etc. I was so down i couldnt vthink bout doin cd as its so mentally tough anyway,i would last no more than a day or 2 then in may this year i started to feel a lot better then got bk on the cd wagon+ive nw lost 7 stone in 6 months :)

Hope this helps x

It's definitely worth going to HR, I think. I don't know a lot about Employment Law but a friend of mine who was having problems with her employer got some great support from ACAS - might be worth a call to their helpline Acas - Contact us if you haven't given that a whirl already.

As for the diet and work stress - it's hard. Really hard. I'm struggling with work at the moment because I got a new job over the summer which although is working for the same organisation, is in a completely different part of it. It feels a bit like having to learn a foreign language. I find I'm thinking about it constantly. And in the past, I've always consoled myself with food when I've got down, so that's a really hard habit to break. Like you, I keep gaining and losing the same pounds.

I think all you can do is keep trying. Take heart from the fact that at least you're maintaining - sort of - and just keep trying again every day until something clicks. Cos it will, eventually - especially now you've reached that point where you're going to take some positive action.

Really hope you manage to get something sorted out, hun x x

Lily's right... all you can do is keep trying... and if you feel like eating start writing instead. It gives you a moment to pause and realise why you want to eat... .and the writing it all out really does help.

thank you to all those who took the time to reply, it means a lot. i am always surprised at how many people view the post but cant bring themselves to offer any kind words of support or comment. but for those that did - thankyou!

Hiya Leeds123,

Just keep plugging away. It is very hard when you have work stress and children to contend with as well as trying to diet. Definitley have a word with HR and if you have a union, maybe try contacting them to see what they say?

Chin up, the advise from Goreygirl is good - try sudoku, knitting (you could learn!), heck, even do the ironing if you feel like eating - i have a feeling my sunday nights are now going to be taken up with either homework or ironing now, no sitting & pigging in front of the telly.

Keep going hun, it will work out in the end.

xxx

sorry about the hard times leeds. it's not on. i believe that your mat rights say if they can't offer you the same job it is a similar job at the same wages, not demoted. i think that they've gone too far there. you replacement should have stepped down to the role they've offered you and you have your job back. go to acas as they're really good, also your union and the CAB!

i think this say's it all!

Statutory Maternity leave: returning to work : Directgov - Parents

first few lines state the following

"When returning to work after Ordinary Maternity Leave (the first 26 weeks of your Statutory Maternity Leave), you have a right to the same job and the same terms and conditions as if you hadn’t been away.
This also applies when you come back after Additional Maternity Leave (the last 26 weeks of your Statutory Maternity Leave). However, if your employer shows it is not reasonably practical to return to your original job (eg because the job no longer exists) you do not have the same right. In that case, you must be offered alternative work with terms and conditions as if you hadn’t been away."

you job was there... they gave it to your replacement.

This is a tough one, I think most of us turn to food in times of stress so its finding something else to destress which is easier said than done, I started a new job in october had my birthday in november and put on a few lbs so decided to ss for a week to put a stop to it b4 it got out of hand, i was taken to 1 side and told I couldnt do that diet while i worked there!!!!!!!!! I am looking for a new job lol good luck to you, and just try to find some alternative destress methods, not much help but hope you over come it

i was taken to 1 side and told I couldnt do that diet while i worked there!!!!!!!!!

What??? That's ludicrous! Love to see them trying to justify that in a court of law. They telling everyone else what to eat too?

What??? That's ludicrous! Love to see them trying to justify that in a court of law. They telling everyone else what to eat too?

Thats just what I was thinking!!! Thats unbelievable!!!

x

thank you all. i rang acas and they advised that as i have 3 months from return to work to claim i am now out of time to sue them. i didnt want to sue my employer anyway, i just want someone to put right the injustice. its eating away at me and i am so so sad.

Just thinking of giving up altogether on work now. i know i can still do the internal grievance procedure but dont know if have the fight for that and dont want to end up with a bad reference if i do leave.

thanks for the support everyone.

Hey hon

Talk to a counsellor (for emotional support) ASAP and do the internal grievance. If you lose without finding some way of resolving the current feelings for yourself at least you'll find you may find it hard to "let go" once you are away from and could risk feeling worse

xx

i would tell them that you could have sued them but decided that you could all work this out together without having to resort to that. i suppose it's like firing a shot across their bowes, a warning that you could have but didn't cause you know that they'll sort it out! they don't need to know that you've just discovered this and are out of time.

Back