CDC help needed!

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by Colleen, 21 January 2008 Social URL.

1. Colleen

Colleen Member

Hi, I'm halfway through week 3, and suffering from the usual (lovely) constipation. I have the fibre, but I also have irritable bowel syndrome. The fibre seems to be too concentrated or something, because no matter how little I put in my water, I'm left in a lot of pain and discomfort.

Previously I was taking mebeverine, and I was wondering if it would be ok to take it whilst on sole source? It's not dependent on weight, and I'm pretty sure that amount of food doesn't affect it.

Thank you so much for any help :)
  2. Avatar Matched Content

3. ava

ava Silver Member

Hi Colleen, not a cdc so can't help but have you asked your own cdc about it? She should be able to tell you if it's ok or not. Hope you get something sorted, i know how awful constipation can be and that's without having ibs.
  4. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

You may need to drink more water.

This text is pasted from Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Patient UK
    Remember when it refers to 2 litres of water, that we need to drink more anyway, so consider adding another litre to your daily intake and only take the fibre if you really need it. It wouldn't be a good idea to continue taking it if you already have a blockage. You need to shift the blockage and then take the fibre as a preventative

"A note of caution: fibre and bulk-forming laxatives partly work by absorbing water (a bit like blotting paper). The combination of plenty of fibre or bulk-forming laxatives and fluid produces soft, bulky stools which should be easy to pass out when you go to the toilet. When you eat a high fibre diet, or take bulk-forming laxatives, you should drink plenty. At least two litres per day (8-10 cups). The faeces may become dry and difficult to pass out if you do not have enough to drink. Very rarely, lots of fibre or bulk-forming laxatives and not enough fluid causes an obstruction in the gut.

Note: fibre or bulk-forming laxatives do not usually help with other symptoms of IBS such as pain or bloating. Also, in some people with IBS, especially those with diarrhoea, extra fibre or bulk-forming laxatives makes symptoms worse (particularly bloating). So, it may not be such a good idea to increase fibre or take bulk-forming laxatives if you are not constipated."
Popular Forums
  1. is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.