CDCs - advice on plateauing please

MadamDotty

Back again!
Hi guys

Wonder if someone can help me, I've got a lovely client who's weight has now stuck at the same point for 3 weeks and as you can imagine she's well and truly fed up with it all. She assures me she's sticking to it 100% and I believe her as she has always told me when she's struggled or gone out for a meal, but the last three weeks she's made a big effort to get back on track as she'd been on & off for weeks previously. Also her measurements have stayed the same too.

I know that some people plateau, but I've not come across anyone doing CD that has plateaued for this long and without losing any inches as well.

The only thing I can think of is that she's fairly active, she cycles about three times a week and walks her dog a couple of times a day, it's a fast walk and she probably does about an hour and a half. Could it be that she is using up most of the calories she's taking in and has lowered her metabolism so much that her body's just stopped losing weight? It sounds feasible to me, but I don't know if it's accurate and if I should therefore be advising her to have an extra pack.

So if anyone has had a client with a similar problem, been in the situation themselves or has a solution for me I'd love to hear it.

Thanks
xx

Hi Madamdotty
I have had a client that got stuck for 2 weeks and she had assured me that she had stuck to it 100% too.
After talking through the week with her it came to the fore that she was doing very intense workout at the gym. I suggested that she may be building up muscle which weighs heavier than fat. She tried drinking more water and cutting down on gym, changed to more arobic. The next week she had a 8lb weight loss. I don't know if this is the case with your client. Is she drinking enough water?

Hope this helps
:)

WATER!!!! Tell her to up her water - even by an extra pint ... it really should help.

How much more does she need/want to lose??? How tall is she??? If she's 5' 7" ... then maybe she needs another pack?? Does she do her AAM??? When I do AAM I always lose more the following week.

Hope some of these help!!

Hiya Maggie

Thanks for that, I've just answered your post on my diary thread :p

Yes, meant to say she's upped her water intake as I thought that was the reason initially. Although she's active, it is only walking and cycling so not likely to be building up much muscle, it's not really intensive enough, so don't think it's that.

But thanks for your input, I keep hoping that she'll have a good loss, I was certain she would this week, but no joy!

x

WATER!!!! Tell her to up her water - even by an extra pint ... it really should help.

How much more does she need/want to lose??? How tall is she??? If she's 5' 7" ... then maybe she needs another pack?? Does she do her AAM??? When I do AAM I always lose more the following week.

Hope some of these help!!

Thanks Bev,

As I just mentioned to Maggie she has upped her water as I've been nagging her about that for a few weeks. She wants to lose another stone which would take her BMI to 24, it's 26 at the moment, she's not tall only 5'4 and she's due an AAM next week.

No - hadn't thought of that as she sticking with it 100%, but worth a try, she only lives around the corner from me I'll take her a strip around later.

Thanks
x

If her BMI is 26 she should be on 790. Everyone must be on 1000 cals at BMI 25.

Ketone test is a good idea but I think as she is exercising and is near to BMI 25 she needs extra food to allow the body to release her fat stores that are left.

Re muscle and fat. Fat weighs the same as muscle. 1lb of Fat and 1lb of muscle both weight 1lb.

Where the confusion comes in is fat is more bulky than lean. If you look at 1lb of lean and 1lb of fat the lean looks far smaller.

Linda

Yes, good thinking, I'll go and have a look :)

If her BMI is 26 she should be on 790. Everyone must be on 1000 cals at BMI 25.

Ketone test is a good idea but I think as she is exercising and is near to BMI 25 she needs extra food to allow the body to release her fat stores that are left.

Re muscle and fat. Fat weighs the same as muscle. 1lb of Fat and 1lb of muscle both weight 1lb.

Where the confusion comes in is fat is more bulky than lean. If you look at 1lb of lean and 1lb of fat the lean looks far smaller.

Linda

thanks Linda

The plan was to move her up to 790 after her AAM next week, but I know she is worrying about this as she now feels if she can't lose on SS what chance does she have on a higher plan. I think I'll pop round and have another chat to her this afternoon. Appreciate your input

x

Here is the BMI rule in line with COMA posted by Kerensa:

To Clarify

To do Sole Source (SS), Add-A-Meal (AAM) or the 790 your BMI must be no lower than 25 + 1 stone as these programmes are considered to be a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD)

All the higher programmes (1000, 1200, and 1500) are ok to use as long as your BMI is not underweight.

If you have followed SS, then your BMI drops to say 26, you should then move to 790 for 1 week and then up to 1000 where you will continue your weight loss to your desired BMI.

Ideally your counsellor should calculate your BMI at your weekly weigh in to see where you are and advise as necessary.

After you have reached your target you should continue on 1500kcals until you are happy to maintain naturally through healthy eating.

Please note that If you increase your activity levels and exercise regime, then you will require a higher calorie and water intake.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Kerensa

Thanks Linda

Back