CDCs - question about ketostix

Laura Croft

Happily maintaining
I guess if you've eaten then you'll be out of Ketosis therefore the stick doesn't change it stays a kinda buff colour!

Was just wondering about ketostix. The can't tell whether the ketones have come from our bodies or from what we've eaten can it? In other words, if I'd binged (which I haven't :)) and was weeing out the contents, the stick is still going to change colour.

Just curious, as ever!

Not sure I understand the question. Whether a person binges, or eats 'normally' it'll all be processed by the body similarly. You wont just wee it out.

Ketones are a side effect of fat oxidation, typically when you are on a low carb diet. It's the concentration in the blood, and only shows on the stix if there is an overflow of ketones into the urine. If you are very active, it might not show up anyway, or if you drink loads, the ketones are diluted too much to show up.

Of course, binge on low carb and you can still be in ketosis..you can still be burning fat, you'll be storing fat too though :D

Not sure that answers the question:confused:

Hmm thanks KD. Must be due to my lack of knowledge about how the body deals with waste, and misinformed on websites I looked up!.

I thought that after a binge the body would be trying to get rid of some of the binge as waste matter. Therefore, I thought the urine could contain some fat from the binge, not just fat from the ketosis oxidation process. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Don't worry if my question still isnt' coming across clear - the world won't end if I don't know the correct answer to this and one day after I've finished the steps and for some reason I eat a really fatty meal I'll try and test the theory myself. LOL

I thought that after a binge the body would be trying to get rid of some of the binge as waste matter.

But there are so many variables, you can't tell. What level was the glycogen at the time? How lean the person is, what their body. What %age were the macronutrients ate, how speedy was the persons digestion that day...or even hours and hours after.

Much depends.

Calories do hit the bloodstream pretty damn quick though.

And if you binged on fat alone (which would be impossible), as fat is ketogenic, theoretically, the stix will remain pink assuming nothing mixed with it from before and it was trying to get rid of excess quick

If you ate masses of protein, the stix might remain beige, as protein is partially antiketogenix.

Sorry, no clear answer, but I do think the websites you have been reading might have oversimplified things.

Totally agree it depends..

And if you binged on fat alone (which would be impossible), as fat is ketogenic, theoretically, the stix will remain pink assuming nothing mixed with it from before and it was trying to get rid of excess quick

So if the food was really high in fat and low in protein, there's a chance the stix may be still be pink then?

What about carbs? How would that change things?

So if the food was really high in fat and low in protein, there's a chance the stix may be still be pink then?

Indeed. Too much fat doesn't affect the colour of the stix. You can put on weight if you have too much (like any other macronutrient), but you'll remain in ketosis.

Protein is mainly ketogenic, but also a little antiketogenic. Normal amounts of protein will probably keep you in ketosis, too much can knock you out.

Carbs is anti ketogenic. Doesn't take too much to change the colour of the stix, but then that depends on the person. We all vary.

Indeed. Too much fat doesn't affect the colour of the stix. You can put on weight if you have too much (like any other macronutrient), but you'll remain in ketosis.

Protein is mainly ketogenic, but also a little antiketogenic. Normal amounts of protein will probably keep you in ketosis, too much can knock you out.

Carbs is anti ketogenic. Doesn't take too much to change the colour of the stix, but then that depends on the person. We all vary.

Thank you your honour. No further questions. *tips hat and exits stage left... for now*

Thank you your honour. No further questions. *tips hat and exits stage left... for now*

LOL. I've confused you haven't I...which is fair enough. Confused myself too :D

No you haven't confused me at all. You answered what I needed you to, whether you realised it or not ;)

Just from my own experience, I've seen a lot of people including yours truly have real hang ups about being in ketosis, and with my old CDC I heard so many people say 'Well I binged but I'm still in ketosis so it's okay.' Now I agree getting into ketosis is a PITA so it was good news they weren't out but I think it's easy to read too much into the colour of the stix.... I don't think many of those people realised technically they could still put on weight and be in ketosis. It's quite something to get your head around..

Last edited:
I don't think many of those people realised technically they could still put on weight and be in ketosis. It's quite something to get your head around..

Indeed, but not if you remember the calories out vs calories in science.

I think a lot of people remember the facts from the old Atkins book. A lot of research has been learnt since.

Though the Atkins diet can be great for many people, mainly because it induces ketosis it's easier to control calories, people still tend to be hung up on some of the myths that fly about the websites. Some of which came from the books, others invented by the hopeful;)

Back