Celebrating my Weightloss - 1 year of dieting.

SerenityValley

Surgically happy.
After my first bad result in several months, I was a bit down. So I decided I needed to evaluate my progress and get a real understanding of how much I have acheived. I find this hard to do, because I am very goal oriented and very "black or white" in my thinking, at least in regards to myself and who I am. So not reaching a target feels like failure, instead of celebrating the success I've had along the way. I'm getting better at this though; what would normally affect me for days, or weeks now affect me for hours or days.

Anyway, I'll roll the year back. March 1st, 2008. I was 23st 8lbs. I won't go into how I felt about myself, other than you can imagine, I wasn't happy.

I decided that this was the time to do something serious. I didn't do Lighterlife until some months later (September) but I did make a real and firm decision that everything had to change.

Now, Feb 27th, 2009. One day away from a full year (but I'm busy tomorrow and wanted to do this now), I have achieved the following:

Gone from 56" waist, to 36" waist (I was still at school the last time I had smaller trousers - and my belt from when I started goes right round my back).
Gone from XXL jogging trousers, to small.
Gone from XXL tshirts, to small or medium (depending on make).
Lost 5 notches on my wrist watch.
Lost 9st 11lbs (137lbs, 62.25kg).
Gone from 47+ on the bmi, to 28+ (and will eventually get to 24).

My smallest doe (Teyla) is around 330g. So I've lost around 190 Teylas.
My biggest buck (Ronnie) who is around 700g. I make that around 90 Ronnies.

My legs are thin at the bottom half and much smaller at the top half. My stomach is a fraction of it's original size (I used to be able to balance a dinner plate on it, now I couldn't balance a saucer on it. I suspect my behind is much smaller. My stretch marks are fading. I can feel bones and muscles I never knew I had. Not everyone recognises me. My arms are fairly thin. My face has changed and I do look 10 years younger and no longer look like I'm rather ill. My blood pressure was always good but is now a lower good. I suspect my cholesterol will be pretty good. I can see people do double takes when they realise they recognise me. I no longer feel ashamed when just walking around. I sleep better, and I no longer need to be in bed by 9pm to get through the next day.

I will be left with loose skin, which bothered me for some time - but the equation is simple "me at 330lbs = less happy than me now". Once I got my head round that simple fact, and the fact that I know I would never have succceeded to lose weight the traditional way (having tried for 25+ years to do so), it was easier to accept that loose skin isn't the end of the world.

The above just focusses on the weight related changes and successes. There were many more succcesses which were less directly caused by my weight loss. I'm a completely different man to the man I was on March 1st 2008. My friends will certainly vouch for that.

Anyway, apart from posting this for the "strokes" I might get, I really wanted to highlight how much I've achieved, for me, and for anyone else who ever feels like they can't make it. Anyone can, with the right tools and the right motivation. I don't believe in willpower - though some might say that willpower is just another term for motivation. But I truly believe that most people don't look at their motivations for wanting to lose weight and focus only on the fact they want to. Motivation sustains you, where wanting to often doesn't.

Apart from that, I'd say that people should always do it for themselves and no one else. Doing it for someone else, puts some of the ownership for success or failure on their shoulders and makes it easier for us to rebel against it. I've lost count of the number of times I've turned to food, because someone I love has upset me. Because in the past I always used them as part of why I wanted to lose weight. This time, I have never lapsed at all (and I had to sit around buffets, pizzas and chinese food in december!), and people have upset me just as before. By taking full and 100% ownership of my journey, I have found a path that works for me.

So I'm 25lbs overweight - that's a hell of a success considering a year ago, I was 168lbs overweight.

Good luck to anyone else, on their own journey.

Andy xx

You're doing brilliantly, it's an amazing achievement and you will lose those 25lbs soon - hey, they'll be gone long before summer arrives and you're going to enjoy being a healthy weight this summer. Don't let one week get to you, the weight will keep shifting and you'll be at goal before you know it. You're right to look at the overall picture and it also inspires others.

Inspirational Andy, and no less than you deserve to feel good about yourself.

Too few people take time and celebrate the amazing achievements that they have had in life, and focus instead on negatives. We live in a wierd World but 95% of how we feel/act is a direct result of what we focus on.

Wasn't it Henry Ford who said "whether you think you can, or think you can't; you're right"

Well done Andy, you're an inspiration along with others on here, and if you do have down days in teh future dig this post out and smile.

Congratulations, you have done really well. I have just started my journey, but hope I will be as successful as you.

That fab Andy! :clap: Be proud, be very proud.

Dead right about the ownership thingy. Think many people reckon they are doing it for themselves, but they often aren't. There's a subtle distinction somewhere there :D

Thank you, everyone :) I really appreciate the kind words.

Below are my progress pics.

At 23st 8lbs:

andyandgang.jpg

At somewhere between 21 and a half, to 22st:

P6291408.jpg

At 20st 13lbs:

DSCN2835.jpg

DSCN2836.jpg

At 15st:

Andyfrontw17.jpg

At 14st:

meep048.jpg

I am looking forward to my 12st pics - and my only regret is that I didn't get any taken with just shorts on - as clothing can sometimes cover how how has been lost.

wow, Andy, just....wow.
A great story, a fantastic loss, an inspiration!

and I love this;
Andy said:
By taking full and 100% ownership of my journey, I have found a path that works for me.

So I'm 25lbs overweight - that's a hell of a success considering a year ago, I was 168lbs overweight.

You said it brother :)

PS great pics.... take more! I sense a camera-whore desperate to burst out of his shell ;) :D

What an inspiring post! :D Am so grateful you took time to post it - thank you!

Congratulations on the new you, really is a true demonstration of the fact that LL works! :D

Am also very envious of your ratties! ;) I'd love a couple of rats again but won't buy from the usual petshops for fear of cross breeding etc.. I'll have to have a nosey around locally for someone who shows or breeds ethically I think :)

PH. You could contact some rescues around you and see if they have any ratties? All of mine have been from rescues and all are lovely and sociable and friendly..

Anyway Andy, you have done so amazingly well and I'm glad that you can see for yourself how well you're doing! It's no mean feat and it really shows your strength in getting through this. So well done you...! It's great that you're staying positive and seeing all the good you've done instead of getting hung up on one bad week.

And I AM going to beat you to 25lb ;):p:Na_Na_Na_Na: hehehe!

Andy hits the nail on the head

Celebrate Andy :massmoon:
Your bum must be smaller because your trousers were nearly falling down and now you are in size SMALL.
I think you are absolutely right. When I have failed to lose weight prior to LL I think it was due to lack of will-power. The difference is that LL requires motivation rather than will power. You need a real reason (or desperation ) for it to work.
I hadn't tried loads of diets. I had given up years ago trying to lose weight. I had given in to being fat and happy (LOL) resigned to it for life.
I never immagined the changes that would come. My motivation was for health reasons after I got pneumonia, bronchitis and chest infections which would never completely get better.
Will power didn't come into it.I had seen an article in the local paper about a year previously about a couple who had lost loads of weight between them before their dream wedding on a beach abroad. Their before/after photos must have stayed in my memory.
Just lucky my town has a fantastic LLC who was on the right wavelength for me. I think that makes a huge difference from what I read on here.
Sorry to go on about myself, but you got me thinking and it's late at night, the house is quiet and peaceful - better go to bed.
But nothing can take away from your achievement. Not long till you get to your goal now.
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S.
:4635:

Awesome performance Andy

Oh my! I saw the username and thought, nah surely not lol.

There are at least 4 of us here from FR (Purple butterfly is one, and Yappy is around somewhere).

Am coming over for a browse.. laying plans to get a couple of rats :) I loved mine in my teens and was devestated when they reached the end of their lives... they are so intelligent :)
Thanks PB for the tips.. will be having a look :)

great post andy
pics are really interesting, you should be proud of what you have achieved
daisy x

Andy - A brilliant post. Really thought provoking. Thanks.

Back