changes to plans

Ive been a member at SW since september and have struggled as a vegetarian, who doesnt eat quorn. Ive been following EE as that is the only plan i was given any info on. Red and green were occasionally mentioned, but only by long term members who didnt want to change to EE. I didnt know green was aimed at vegies.

now ive read the new SP info, i think im going to struggle even more as carbs were my staple fill up food.

Ive been a member at SW since september and have struggled as a vegetarian, who doesnt eat quorn. Ive been following EE as that is the only plan i was given any info on. Red and green were occasionally mentioned, but only by long term members who didnt want to change to EE. I didnt know green was aimed at vegies.

now ive read the new SP info, i think im going to struggle even more as carbs were my staple fill up food.
SP is just a tool for boosting weight loss! Extra easy is the main plan, where all the potatoes pasta rice beans peas pulses lentils are absolutely free

SP is meant to be used as a short-term boost to your rate of weight-loss; you do not have to do it unless you want to. If you'd find carbs difficult to do without, then stick with EE.

The Green plan is idea for vegetarians, and despite what you may have read, it is still available! If you have access to the SW website you can download the PDF for the green plan. You can have 2 Hex A and 2 Hex B. I and many others have lost a lot of weight on Green!

On SP you can only have food with an S or a P. No free foods other than that.
You cannot syn a free food so if it is not that SorP so you cannot have it. You would have to have a yogurt that has syns and count it. You also cannot have any spud, rice pasta etc. They are free foods, not SorP. It is not really like the ORIGINAL plan (also incidentaly in the book it says the new SP plan is not suitable for diabetics) Consultant says also on SP you cannot have a McCains Jacket just because the pkt ones have syns, potatoes are free NOT SorP.

I will stick with the new EE. Not too much that will be a problem I don`t think. I am diabetic and if I want a change I will do a red or green from my old books.

Also you should not do SP for more than 1 week. If you do you are supposed to ask consultant what extras to add

Sorry Nanny Doreen - but you certainly can have other free foods on an SP day.

Go back and read post number 398 that I made on here. My friend sent me this info as I was extremely confused.
http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/347540-changes-plans-4.html#post7660570

The website clearly states on the Q&A section that yiu can have have free food - your weight loss will just be slower.
It's apparently on this page - which I can't actually read as I'm not a member any more.
http://group.slimmingworld.com/useful-features/extra-easy-sp.aspx

And as for having a yoghurt with syns - it definitely says you do NOT need to do this - just have a fat free one as free food and note it down.

Also, regarding how long to follow SP, the wesbite apparently says

Extra Easy SP success
We recommend you follow Extra Easy SP for a week at first. If you love what you’re achieving (which we’re sure you will) you can:

• either continue Extra Easy SP days, building in some standard Extra Easy days, to make sure you’re getting a beautifully balanced diet.
  • or add one more Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice, or have one regular-size pot of any Free yogurt (flavoured or natural) or the equivalent amount of fat free fromage frais each day to make sure you’re getting enough calcium.

Last edited:
PS There is apparently now a link to the new EE SP diary in pdf format on the SP members page of the website

SP is meant to be used as a short-term boost to your rate of weight-loss; you do not have to do it unless you want to. If you'd find carbs difficult to do without, then stick with EE.

But im not losing weight with EE. Ive lost 1st in 4m. No gains but alot of staying the same. Ive kept food diaries that ive gone over with my consultant and she cant see anything wrong with what im doing. and the weeks i do loose are not noticeably different foodwise. So really feel i need to try something different. Will go and checkout the green plan.

If you are a vegetarian then the green plan is just like EE except you get an extra HExA and B and the B list includes cheeses. If the cheese fills you up more so you eat less free food then it might help with weight loss compared to Ee but it is essentially more calories each day than on Ee (maybe why they are abandoning it?).

Can see why vegetarians are upset about the changes though. It is taking away that flexibility and extra protein without giving anything back into the diet.

It is all explained in a separate little book in the old pack.

Personally I think they should have a HexV list for veges with cheese and nuts on it. As well as 2 HexFs for fruit instead of calling them speed - but we are all free to eat what we like and SW are trying to keep the plan simple. :)

Personally I think they should have ....... 2 HexFs for fruit instead of calling them speed - but we are all free to eat what we like and SW are trying to keep the plan simple. :)

Sorry Nettee, but I don't understand this. Fruits are free foods so you can eat as much as you want. You are encouraged to pick Speed fruits if you want a faster weight loss (or if you're doing the SP booster plan), but otherwise any fruit (apart from avocado!) is fine.

I wonder if SW have made a mistake in including the SP plan in the book, as people seem to be thinking of using it long-term. Perhaps it should have been treated like Success Express and handed out by Consultants as a last resort when someone's weight is refusing to budge.

Yes - my ideas about fruit are defiantly in conflict with Slimming World. My point being that I don't have to eat loads of it as we have choices and I choose to have more vegetables for my speed foods. I agree it is healthy to have some but I think I slowed down my losses in 2012 when I used to eat 5 or 6 apples a day.

In the same way I avoid eating refined sugar for my syns and lean towards fats and flour.

My interfering suggestion that vegetarians award themselves some extra nuts or cheese each day is a bit different as it breaks the rules rather than working within them ( unless you are sticking to green). But SW is a fairly broad framework.

I have been surprised to discover just now that the calories per 100g of meat, fish, quorn and pulses fall within the same ballpark so perhaps this is why they are not giving vegetarians any extras on the new plans?

This week I'm just doing 'normal' EE, but on my food diary am noting 'S', 'P', or 'F' next to my free foods so I start getting confident in what I'm best to choose for an SP week, and am listening to the experiences / ideas from those who have gone more headlong into it. Hopefully in a week or so I'll be back in the swing of planning my food optimising / going to group / exercising and have the knowledge and understanding to approach an SP week without stressing about it (as I can stress about pretty much anything).

Well done to the intrepid explorers. I'm glad there are people ready and willing to get straight into it. :D

But im not losing weight with EE. Ive lost 1st in 4m. No gains but alot of staying the same. Ive kept food diaries that ive gone over with my consultant and she cant see anything wrong with what im doing. and the weeks i do loose are not noticeably different foodwise. So really feel i need to try something different. Will go and checkout the green plan.

Backyardhens - 2 things could be going on here.
1. It could be that you are carb sensitive (like me) - if I have too much processed cards (like rice, pasta etc) then I do not loose weight at all. I have to stick to natural carbs like spuds and then I'm ok.
2. Because quantities aren't in theory limited on EE you could just be eating slightly too much - this is my problem with EE. My brain just switches off and I eat way more than I really need to.

I stick to red days as it makes me think about how many carbs I'm having. As a veggie I know this goes against the "flow" but you could try some red days and substitute the meat for other natural protein rich food like pulses, nuts etc. Or do green days and avoid processed carbs.
Ask your consultant for the old Red/Green day book - she's sure to have one.
I'd send you my easy crib sheet that I've made - but I can't PM you as you don't have enough posts.

And finally there's a but . . . and it's a BIG BUT
I know you're probably disappointed with 1st in 4m when you see people at class having big losses.
But that's not far off a pound a week and losing it slowly means it's more likely to stay off.

It took me almost 3 years of concerted effort to lose 4½ st - which meant my average weight loss was less than ½ lb a week - to be exact a massive 0.419 lb per week!
And it took me a further 9 months to lose another 6 lbs to get to final target. That's a measly 0.15 lb a week!

So don't be too disappointed with what you think of as slow losses. They aren't that slow - a pound a week is a good target to aim for as it means it maintainable for the future.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I must admit pommette i have been a bit disappointed with the speed of the loss (i STS for my first weigh/in, which is when alot of people have a big loss). But as you say, the consensus tends to be the slower you loose it, the longer it stays off. breaking it down to about 1lb a week actually doesnt sound so bad anymore.

i have wondered whether i am sensitive to carbs (am allergic to all types of grass, so perhaps grains fall under that too?). Perhaps SP might actually be good for me, but i can see i might need to be a bit more organised and plan my meals as its not going to be so easy to grab a jacket spud or bowl of pasta

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I must admit pommette i have been a bit disappointed with the speed of the loss (i STS for my first weigh/in, which is when alot of people have a big loss). But as you say, the consensus tends to be the slower you loose it, the longer it stays off. breaking it down to about 1lb a week actually doesnt sound so bad anymore.

i have wondered whether i am sensitive to carbs (am allergic to all types of grass, so perhaps grains fall under that too?). Perhaps SP might actually be good for me, but i can see i might need to be a bit more organised and plan my meals as its not going to be so easy to grab a jacket spud or bowl of pasta

jacket spud is fine - it's unlikely that this is causing the problem
Try buying some gluten-free pasta. I'm a lot better with this.

There is a book on SW website bookshop called 50 free recipes on green days, I've just brought the 1 for red days. It's £4.95. I didn't loose with EE but loose rapid doing red days. Just thought this might be of interest to veggies who are struggling with the new plans, I know I am x

Sorry Nanny Doreen - but you certainly can have other free foods on an SP day.

Go back and read post number 398 that I made on here. My friend sent me this info as I was extremely confused.
http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/347540-changes-plans-4.html#post7660570

The website clearly states on the Q&A section that yiu can have have free food - your weight loss will just be slower.
It's apparently on this page - which I can't actually read as I'm not a member any more.
http://group.slimmingworld.com/useful-features/extra-easy-sp.aspx

And as for having a yoghurt with syns - it definitely says you do NOT need to do this - just have a fat free one as free food and note it down.

Also, regarding how long to follow SP, the wesbite apparently says

Extra Easy SP success
We recommend you follow Extra Easy SP for a week at first. If you love what you’re achieving (which we’re sure you will) you can:

• either continue Extra Easy SP days, building in some standard Extra Easy days, to make sure you’re getting a beautifully balanced diet.
  • or add one more Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice, or have one regular-size pot of any Free yogurt (flavoured or natural) or the equivalent amount of fat free fromage frais each day to make sure you’re getting enough calcium.

Yes, however, if you're having a few of these free foods then best not have the extra b choice.
i can't see say 1 banana making much difference but if you were having say a non s/p food with every meal then it's not true sp so I wouldn't have the extra b choice.

I think all this latest discussion goes to prove is that everyone is even more confused at the mo than they were before.
Perhaps once consultants get to grips with it more things will become clearer.
Especially when there have been a few classes to discuss things, iron out the issues and get the corrections to the books.

Back