Changing from Cambridge to Atkins

Lindsey
Hi everyone I'm changing from Cambridge to Atkins, reason I don't like the lack of food you can eat, it's Los expensive and I was only on it to weeks and only lst 4 lb. seems very little for a diet of no more than 440 cals.
Any advice for induction phase would be great. Eg would you skip cream for two weeks and cheese or not. What is best oil to use. I really to need to start losing 3 stone. How quick did you go into ketosis and do you really not feel very hungry. Sorry for ll the questions. I love to know how yo are getting on with this diet. Thanks.

Hi Lindsey, welcome to our little Atkins club ;). I see you are in Redditch, not far from me.

Re cream and cheese, this diet isn't about suffering and depriving yourself like many others are, if you enjoy cheese and cream then eat them within the allowances (see the sticky topic section for more info on this). If however you aren't that fussed about cheese or cream then by all means leave them out. For some people they do slow down weightloss, but stick within the allowance and you'll be fine.

re. oil, i use olive oil, but most of my cooking is actually with lard or butter (!). After eating this way i'm not sure i could go back, all my food tastes so rich and yummy with these fats.

Since you have been on Cambridge then you are most likely already in ketosis so there won't be any problem. If you have been eating normally for a few days and eating lots of carbs though, it can take anything from a couple of days to a full week to get into ketosis properly, but don't worry about it.

Yes, i can honestly say i NEVER feel hungry on this diet. I know some people here have said they have at various points, but i'm not entirely sure why because you get to eat as much as you need to eat on this diet. Perhaps they were sticking to set mealtimes or working or something. The only piece of advice i have here is to keep lots of Atkins snacks to hand, before you are properly in ketosis you will get hungry more often and eat more than later on when you are in keto,... make sure that you have healthy options to hand. I snack on leftover cooked meat, eggs, tuna mayonnaise, MiMs (see sticky), cheese.

Good luck :)

Good luck 247 ... I am in Northfield so again not far from you! I came off Cambridge and on to weight watchers - I WISH I had gone straight to Atkins. DO believe what you read on these boards, it is absolutely brilliant. I too cook mainly with a butter and olive oil combo (to stop the butter burning). The sticky on here is excellent but I really do recommend getting the book - I had never read a "diet" book before as I was worried they would bore me but the way Dr.Atkins writes is so positive and informative I would really suggest you get the book.

Keep going girl (and well done for coming off CD - I know it works for lots of people but for me it was an expensive week of hell!) xx

Thanks girls I've never done Atkins before so i'm looking forward to eating lol. Quick question do you make your own mayo or is it shop brought. Not looked to see if carbs are in it. Think I might miss cheese and cream out for few weeks if it can slow down weight loss, thanks girls. Start tomorrow so can't wait.
Breakfast i'm havin Lovely egg and prawn omelette can't wait lol. X

Mmmmm Omlette ... I LOVE them .. can't get enough! I love bacon, mushroom and cheese - as far as I can tell cheese doesn't stall me BUT I only have up to 30g per day max.

I have just left a note on the "Doner meat" thread about mayo x

Hi there. I did a few months on Lighter Life over a year ago now and lost loads. I think it was just the right time for me to do a VLCD.

I've been experimenting with low carb eating for the past year to try to find a way of managing my weight effectively longer-term - then I recently discovered Atkins and the lovely people here and am trying (more-or-less) to eat in an Atkins-friendly way. I've some weight to lose post-Christmas (gah!) but I'm trying not to stress about it too much.

The thing I've learnt most since coming to this part of Minimins is that Atkins is a way of eating, not a "diet"... you can (and probably will) lose weight on it if you follow it to the letter - but it's also a way of eating that is sustainable for long-term maintenance.

(Well - unless like me you fall off the wagon periodically, like last night... ahem!)

Welcome!

Welcome 247 good luck with this wonderful way of eating, I can say I have been following Atkins fir 6 weeks now and have honestly never felt hungry :)

Mayo - you can use shop bought, it's fine for Atkins. However it's always made with vegetable oil, which is not particularly good for your health. If you have the time/patience/skill, home made mayo will taste nicer and be better for you if it's made with olive oil or animal fat of some kind. So no, not a problem weight-loss wise, small issue healthwise. I buy Pizza Express House Dressing instead of mayo, as it's made with olive oil. Hope that helps!

Welcome!
I felt the loss of appetite from about week 2 onwards and its amazing- I couldnt go 10 minutes without thinking about my next meal lol!
I havemy 3oz of cream through the day and a handful of grated cheese on my morning omlette. But keep in mind that the fat you consume is used by your body, it doesnt go straight to the hips, so feel free to enjoy good fats :)

Suppose to start diet today but I had to put my beautiful cat to sleep, was up all nite with her she had convulsions, she was 18 so a good age but dieting is the last thing on my mind today. Think I'll start mon, when feel I can focus better. x

So sorry about your cat, my condolences. :(

Thanks everyone, all geared up to start mon now, done all food shopping now, read quite a lot of the book. Can't wait to get started now. Still alittle scared of using fat in the diet but I know you have to so won't skip on the fats.

Hi there. Im transitioning from cambridge 1:1 to Atkins as having been on 1:1 3 weeks Im just not getting on with it and my weight loss has slowed to the level I could lose on a normal diet. Wanted to ask if anyone gained wait during the transition period while you get into keto? Any tips? Im going on holiday in 2 weeks so running out of time to lose a couple more kilos! I was on stage 2 of 1:2 so 800 cals and 80 carbs day (4 products).

Hi there. Im transitioning from cambridge 1:1 to Atkins as having been on 1:1 3 weeks Im just not getting on with it and my weight loss has slowed to the level I could lose on a normal diet. Wanted to ask if anyone gained wait during the transition period while you get into keto? Any tips? Im going on holiday in 2 weeks so running out of time to lose a couple more kilos! I was on stage 2 of 1:2 so 800 cals and 80 carbs day (4 products).
Hi, I know this is an old post but I’m wondering how you got on? I started the 1:1 diet but left after 5 weeks as after losing 10lbs in the first 2 weeks, it slowed to 1lb a week and it just wasn’t worth it.

Back