Charity shops

Janine 40

Hello all

I was out yesterday looking for a second hand tea pot in the local Charity shops, i used to use them a lot but sort of got out of the habit. Just lately for me things have been tight purse wise (for many of you too i am sure) so i thought i would have a little look at the clothes too. Well girls and boys i got some bargains. I got three brand new skirts and a blouse for 11 pounds!! I just wondered if any other person does this because of the sheer expense of having to buy a new wardrobe every few months. If you have not tried it then give it a go!! I did try them on in the shop though so that i knew i would wear them.

What made me laugh though was the look of horror on my daughter and husband's face when i said they were second hand, they are both fashion snobs, my darling son on the other hand who is like his mum said "Well done mum, good buy."

I am a fussy dresser by the way and i love to look smart and people always comment on my dress, so it just goes to show you can look good for a fraction of the price.

xxx:p

PS I did not find a teapot!!!

Last edited:
My mum now buys all her clothes from charity shops and car boot sales. Not really due to financial reasons, but she loves a good rummage, and getting branded clothes for a fraction of the price! I've bought the odd thing, but charity shops do still have this strange stigma attached to them.

I would use them more, but I hate having to dig for clothes, and my town is full of older people, so generally the charity shops are full of older style clothes. I know of people who go to charity shops in certain areas, as it is a wealthy area, therefore the stuff in the charity shops are of a higher quality!

On a side note, I find some are overpriced. One had a pair of Art trainers in, which were well worn. Can get them for £50-£60 on ebay in better condition, they were charging £45! In the same shop, they were charging £7.50 for an ornament, which had a bit missing, and no box. 2 doors down you could get it new for £9.99! I know it's for charity, but it seems a little cheeky to me. Perhaps I've been brainwashed by my mother!

I know what you mean Tiny.

I often go in for a nosey and am amazed by them charging 3 or 4 quid for a basic top from Primark that probably didn't retail for that to start with! Also the DVD's in some are often £6 or more and they are often the ones you can grab anywhere for under £3!

I know it's for charity and I don't begrudge paying for things but when they charge equal or more to new price then you may as well go and buy new really :(

Kind of defeats the object really.

On the other hand I picked up some lovely shorts for my son back at the beginning of summer for 99p and they were from Next and didn't even look worn - BARGAIN!

My mum now buys all her clothes from charity shops and car boot sales. Not really due to financial reasons, but she loves a good rummage, and getting branded clothes for a fraction of the price! I've bought the odd thing, but charity shops do still have this strange stigma attached to them.

I would use them more, but I hate having to dig for clothes, and my town is full of older people, so generally the charity shops are full of older style clothes. I know of people who go to charity shops in certain areas, as it is a wealthy area, therefore the stuff in the charity shops are of a higher quality!

On a side note, I find some are overpriced. One had a pair of Art trainers in, which were well worn. Can get them for £50-£60 on ebay in better condition, they were charging £45! In the same shop, they were charging £7.50 for an ornament, which had a bit missing, and no box. 2 doors down you could get it new for £9.99! I know it's for charity, but it seems a little cheeky to me. Perhaps I've been brainwashed by my mother!

OO your mum sounds like a treat to know.

You are right though to say some are overpriced. I find Oxfam to be a culprit for this and once had a row with the Manager over the price of a book!! I think they lose the meaning of Charity also being about the people who shop there and i told her this!! She was not best pleased!!

Ask your mum to look out for a large tea pot....lol.

xxx

I find Oxfam are expensive too - they massively overprice things.
Also they put high prices on "designer" (eg Next???) items and some of them are so well worn they're not worth 99p!
I do buy a fair amount of clothes from charity shops and I donate a lot too! I think it's great to get a skirt for £2.50 and I once got some brand new next jeans for £2 as well.

I find Oxfam are expensive too - they massively overprice things.
Also they put high prices on "designer" (eg Next???) items and some of them are so well worn they're not worth 99p!
I do buy a fair amount of clothes from charity shops and I donate a lot too! I think it's great to get a skirt for £2.50 and I once got some brand new next jeans for £2 as well.

Lol. We all love a good label!! You are so right saying some plug "Designer Label", even when they are falling apart!!

I like Age Concern because out of all i went to yesterday they seemed the most realistic. I was made up to buy most of my work wardrobe for a fraction of the price because i find my work clothes the most expensive!!

Charity shops are us!!

xx

I LOVE THEM !!!

They are still quite cheap here and I always look in the charity shops before I buy new.

Last Tuesday I got 12 items for 14 pounds . I was so chuffed. That included a lovely. new looking white 4 slice toaster for 2€ !!! It works and looks good.

We have some real bargains as people are always moving back to there own countries and have a good clear out before they go.

I am selective which ones I go in.Banardos is a favourite. But I get most of my clothes off ebay. I now dress in Monsoon for very little money.

i intend to go winter coat shopping in the charity shops this weekend. I live in a small-ish village but we have 5 charity shops so i'm hoping for a bargain :)

My son loves charity shops. He's now got a great selection of annuals. Theres quite a few in our little town. I do find some of the stuff overpriced. And I have never bought clothes from there but I dont know why as have bought off ebay and you dont even see or try them first!!! They often have some nice tops in the windows but if I got them and was then out in the town wearing it I would be imagining everyone saying "thats that top from from Oxfam"!

I don't so much anymore mainly because they're a nightmare to get a double buggy around! I used to a lot when I was at Uni and the clothes they has there were great. I think it helped being a 'Uni town' as the students were probably getting rid of clothes pretty frequently thanks to changes in fashion/lack of space in dorms/ frequent house moves.

My son loves charity shops. He's now got a great selection of annuals. Theres quite a few in our little town. I do find some of the stuff overpriced. And I have never bought clothes from there but I dont know why as have bought off ebay and you dont even see or try them first!!! They often have some nice tops in the windows but if I got them and was then out in the town wearing it I would be imagining everyone saying "thats that top from from Oxfam"!

Ha ha, thats so funny!!!

xx

I am selective which ones I go in.Banardos is a favourite. But I get most of my clothes off ebay. I now dress in Monsoon for very little money.

That is interesting. I once got some clothes in a bunch from Ebay that looked fab online but when i received them they were old tat!! I laugh now but gosh i was cross at the time!

How do you buy? Would love to get some good tips!!

xx

I personally find the best way to shop on ebay is to use search words, rather than the drop down sections, as many people list things in the wrong places! If i want jeans, ill type 'New Look 16', then filter through them. Or 'Empire long' under 'clothing' category if I'm after a long empire line top!
It's also worth filtering by distance, especially for bulk buys, shoes or jeans. Ive bought shoes and roller blades from someone in my town before, saved me about £6 postage for a 2 minute walk!

i intend to go winter coat shopping in the charity shops this weekend. I live in a small-ish village but we have 5 charity shops so i'm hoping for a bargain :)

Good luck, let us know if you find one and post us a pic of you in it!!

xx

I personally find the best way to shop on ebay is to use search words, rather than the drop down sections, as many people list things in the wrong places! If i want jeans, ill type 'New Look 16', then filter through them. Or 'Empire long' under 'clothing' category if I'm after a long empire line top!
It's also worth filtering by distance, especially for bulk buys, shoes or jeans. Ive bought shoes and roller blades from someone in my town before, saved me about £6 postage for a 2 minute walk!

Thanks for that Tinytootz, much appreciated.

xx

That is interesting. I once got some clothes in a bunch from Ebay that looked fab online but when i received them they were old tat!! I laugh now but gosh i was cross at the time!

How do you buy? Would love to get some good tips!!

xx

Never buy anything from eBay until you have checked out the seller's feedback rating and comments. Also look at the other things they are selling - you can sometimes get an idea about what sort of person they are.

I never buy a job-lot of clothes (unless I know the seller really well) - I reckon that if they were any good they would be selling them individually.

I never buy things which were cheap when they were new. I go for higher-end brands which are made in good materials which will last.

Try checking out sizing in advance - for instance, if you are looking for Ann Harvey clothes, pop into one of their shops and find out which sizes fit you best. Are their sleeves too long for you? What about trouser lengths? I never buy Elvi clothes, although I do like them, because they just don't suit my shape. If you know what fits you it is less of a gamble buying sight unseen.

Use the "zoom" and/or "enlarge" features on the photographs, so you can get a good look in closeup.

If you aren't sure about something then send a message to the seller in good time before the end of the auction, to give her time to reply. I like my tops quite long, and if someone hasn't given the back length I will send a message to ask.

Remember when you are searching to tick the box which allows you to search "title and description". Sometimes people will forget to put the brand name in the title, and that means it won't show up in most people's searches and you may get a bargain!

I buy nearly all my clothes on eBay - have done for years - and I have only rarely had a disappointment. I also buy handbags, cosmetics, furniture, all sorts of things. I like nice things, but can't afford retail prices!

Never buy anything from eBay until you have checked out the seller's feedback rating and comments. Also look at the other things they are selling - you can sometimes get an idea about what sort of person they are.

I never buy a job-lot of clothes (unless I know the seller really well) - I reckon that if they were any good they would be selling them individually.

I never buy things which were cheap when they were new. I go for higher-end brands which are made in good materials which will last.

Try checking out sizing in advance - for instance, if you are looking for Ann Harvey clothes, pop into one of their shops and find out which sizes fit you best. Are their sleeves too long for you? What about trouser lengths? I never buy Elvi clothes, although I do like them, because they just don't suit my shape. If you know what fits you it is less of a gamble buying sight unseen.

Use the "zoom" and/or "enlarge" features on the photographs, so you can get a good look in closeup.

If you aren't sure about something then send a message to the seller in good time before the end of the auction, to give her time to reply. I like my tops quite long, and if someone hasn't given the back length I will send a message to ask.

Remember when you are searching to tick the box which allows you to search "title and description". Sometimes people will forget to put the brand name in the title, and that means it won't show up in most people's searches and you may get a bargain!

I buy nearly all my clothes on eBay - have done for years - and I have only rarely had a disappointment. I also buy handbags, cosmetics, furniture, all sorts of things. I like nice things, but can't afford retail prices!

Thank you. such good advice.xxx

Back