Cheap dukan

Bibaloo

Hi all,

Feeling really down today. I'm loving how this diet us making me feel and although my weight loss is slow, I do feel slimmer but it's so expensive I think I might have to give up. I want to cry when I think I'll be back to how I was before in no time.
I can see myself skipping meals just to afford to stay on it.

It's not the diet alone that i cant afford - it's the diet on top of having had to fork out over a grand on our house move and have also been hit with a 460 car bill today. I can't afford to buy this much meat on top of it all when I could survive on carbs for about a pound a day.

I don't want to do that though. I'm 6 weeks into my second attempt and I don't want to throw all that time and effort down the drain so does anyone have any tips on how to do this cheaply? My heads so muddled up with worry I can't think straight :( x

I dont think we'll be able to come up with a pound a day option but.....

Have an oat bran or egg based breakfast. Buy fromage frais or yogurt in the big tubs, they are less than a pound for 500grams.

Make good friends with eggs, 18 economy eggs are less than £2.

Smoked salmon trimmings are very cheap and liven up an omelet on PP days, add seasonal veg on pp days.

Buy whole chickens and roast, eat and make stock with the bones.

Then make soups, Dukandebut is the queen of soup making, hopefully she'll have some ideas (and check the recipe threads), whatever veg is on offer, few bits of the cooked chicken. Make it hot n sour soup with an egg and some chilli, add some curry, anything spice wise you already have and so dont add to the expense.

Theres a thread on how soup tricks your body into being fuller longer. Its not too hard to transport in a flask if you need it for lunch.

Ask at work if anyone has any excess veg that theyve grown (people on here are talking about having lots of courgettes, you never know your luck, someone might have too much tomato or something).

Tinned sardines are inexpensive as is some canned tuna, though usually the sort in brine. So take extra water.

Look at the basics/value stuff they often have really good turkey pieces and turkey mince.

Then the usual dont buy anything prepackaged, get anything 'yellow label' that you can, cook and freeze.

Good luck with the move.

Last edited:
Bibaloo - I haunt the supermarkets around me at the end of the day when the meat and veg is discounted - In the past I've found packs of extra-lean mince reduced from £4.00 to £0.99, and a joint of beef reduced from £15.00 to £5.00. That one joint fed me for 5 days, and it was fabulous!

Last night it was salad - two little gem lettuces for 50p and a bag of watercress for 25p; my cue for a big salad with some chopped chicken.

i tend to go for mince and eggs when im skint a bolognaise with tom puree and water or tomatoes on pv days goes along way a whole chicken 4.00 2 days the chicken legs in foil with mushroom onion and a tiny bit of stock cube 2 legs fill me up

omelettes very good cut out the yogurts and use skimmed milk muffins go further than galettes

Not a favourite with everyone, I know, but chicken livers are great. They make a great Portuguese favourite, chicken livers peri-peri.
Eggs and quark are relatively inexpensive too. I nipped into an Aldi 2 days ago and spied big tubs of fat free plain yogurts for 55p.
Sainsbury's basic range is very good value, just slightly misshapen or irregular but they, apparently pride themselves on the quality of this range. I have tried the basics salmon fillets and found no difference between them and the Sainsbury's normal brand. And they're responsibly sourced.
I believe the same will be true of the other basics items they offer. Anyway, they offer a money back guarantee (see the back of their packs), if u are not entirely satisfied with one of their products, for whatever reason, they will refund you. I've done it on one occasion myself and it was painless.

Brilliant thank you. Some great ideas there. My head is so full of everything else at the moment I'm incapable of thinking for myself.

I've just bought two chickens which were half price in tesco so I'm ok for a couple of days. I just don't want to give up when I'm half way through cruise now because I know I'll end up back in the future starting all over again and I would much rather see it through this time.

I think I'll have to eat to fill me rather than for enjoyment. I'll have a good freezer clear out too. I'm sure there must be some dukan in there which have been forgotten :)

Thanks again. You're all stars xx

I think I'll have to eat to fill me rather than for enjoyment.

If you have any asian shops close to you they have lots of spices, herbs, soy sauce etc at a fraction of the cost of those in supermarkets - so you could still have some of the flavoursome treats to perk your appetite

Make a Dukan loaf, so cheap and filling! Other than that eggs are fantastic! Buy 12/18 cheap eggs, cheap multiples of tuna, cheap chicken! It can absolutely be done x Stay positive and shop around!

These threads come up often and the general consensus is usually that it often works out cheaper to buy frozen (fish, burgers, etc), and check out the offers before you go. We have a thread where people used to add offers when they saw them.

Avoid packaged hams, etc as they're astronomic. Yogs too. Buy big tubs of quark and sweeten them yourself!

Cooking from scratch usually works out far cheaper too...

and everything everyone said above :)

Thank you. I think this crux of doing this cheaply is planning better. I seem to do a weekly shop thinking I have it sorted and find i'm out of dukan food by day 4.
I'll try the budget supermarkets too when I can.
I've been very tempted to go off plan, especially when I'm still cooking things like chips and pizza for hubby, but I really want this to be the end of years of trying to shift this weight.
Tonight I had a homemade burger with a fried egg (pp day) It was fine. Feeling peckish now but will just go to bed when it gets too much.

Ps even though the scales aren't moving rapidly I had a nice moment last night, although embarrasing. I was on patrol in a shopping centre (police officer for those who don't know) in case of any potential problems what with what's going on and my utility belt fell down over my hips and almost tripped me up!
On the negative side (as my salad was in the fridge in the station and we weren't allowed back) when my colleagues had pasties I had to find a quiet spot to eat some lettuce and pre packed chicken with my fingers. Why do tesco salads etc always have pasta and creamy dressing?)

Slightly off topic...I think I speak for 99.9% of the people when I say, I take my hat off to you and your colleagues for what you have had to deal with and how you've dealt with it. Thank you for putting your necks on the line to keep us safe.
Good news about the utility belt (well, from the weight-loss perspective anyway).

Ive always found it cheaper and easier to cook a large batch of food and then freeze it in tubs, it's just like having a ready meal and it works out much cheaper in the long run

Slightly off topic...I think I speak for 99.9% of the people when I say, I take my hat off to you and your colleagues for what you have had to deal with and how you've dealt with it. Thank you for putting your necks on the line to keep us safe.
Good news about the utility belt (well, from the weight-loss perspective anyway).

I absolutely agree, Biba, and if you lived close to me and I knew you were out there on duty, I'd BRING you a Dukan dinner...

Thank you.

Id forgotten about frozen stuff, the bigger sainsburys and tescos have absolutly bargainous packs of white fish froze, you get 6-8 good fillets. And there are basics/value frozen prawns.
Tesco Market Value White Fish Fillets (520g) in Tesco | mySupermarket

Also bumper 2.5kg packs of chicken pieces, they have skin on but thats easily removed after cooking. I was roasting up a tray of these at a time to keep in the fridge at one point and they seemed to last forever.
Sainsbury's Basics Chicken Portions (2.5Kg) in Sainsbury's | mySupermarket

Maintainer has also been delighted with bargains from iceland for fish iirc.

And of course Thank you for the great job youre doing.

Thanks all and thanks for the nice comments. We're just having to be precautionery up here in case of any copy cat riots/looting but plenty of my riot trained colleagues have been deployed down south to support the met. Actually thinking about applying for it. As scary as it looks I feel a bit useless.
The knock on effect is cancelled leave, longer shifts etc to make up for the shortfall. I am knackered at the moment anyway and all my rest days are taken up packing. Roll on the end of the month! :)
X

Oh and ps.... It's weigh day today. 2lb off do I've lost a stone in 5 weeks. Got another stone to go but would be happy with 10lb I think

Thanks all and thanks for the nice comments. We're just having to be precautionery up here in case of any copy cat riots/looting but plenty of my riot trained colleagues have been deployed down south to support the met. Actually thinking about applying for it. As scary as it looks I feel a bit useless.
The knock on effect is cancelled leave, longer shifts etc to make up for the shortfall. I am knackered at the moment anyway and all my rest days are taken up packing. Roll on the end of the month! :)
X

As a welsh girl in exile it was lovely to see the vans marked "Heddlu" lined up in central London on tuesday night.

I wish I could send you and all your colleagues care packaged, (Dukan or otherwise).

Awww where are you from Atropos?
Apparently our guys did Stirling work on tuesday? It may have been them! Very proud to be both Welsh and a bobby

Back